Opinions for carrying on your hip.

As of now I mostly use an ankle holster, but I would like to carry on my hip if needed.

I have a few different IWB and OWB holsters. I cant do anything to prevent printing my MP9c. Unless I have a baggy button down shirt or jacket, there is no way around it. The only way I get a little bit of concealment, is if i crank my belt to the point of extreme stomach aches and gas. [wink]

Is there anything I'm missing? Do all you guys have your belts cranked?

I'm 5'10, 170. I figured a MP9c would be manageable on my hip.

Derek

Which IWB have you tried? The ones that have just one clip in the center of the holster are considerably thicker than two clip holsters, which have the clips on each side of the gun rather than on top of it. A two clip holster is also more stable, doesn't spin around at all.

The Comptac MTAC, Crossbreed, and Tucker Leather Texas Heritage are examples of good two clip IWB types. I use the Tucker, and a gun like the M&P9c or baby Glock just disappears in it, even when wearing just a TUCKED polo shirt, and I'm only about 150. I wear it at 3:00.

How long have you been carrying on your hip? Lots of newbies are just too paranoid at first and exaggerate how much printing is really occuring.

ETA: Cranking your belt will only make a significant difference it the belt was so loose to begin with that it was sagging under the weight of the gun.

Last edited:
Depends on your shape and the holster of course... No gas inducing crankage here...

Have you taken pictures? You know its there, so you are going to pick up on the slightest bulge as you look at it...

What holsters and where are you placing them (2 O'Clock, 3, 4, etc?)

Also I have to have my pants "up" - not on my "waist", but where you put dress pants... at/near belly button...

I can take pics.

Anything in front of me (2 oclock or so) makes the barrel stick into me when I sit down.

I've tried and disliked a Galco IWB holster and Desantis OWB holster. They function great, but print. They will do well when I can wear more clothing in the winter. A thin nylon has worked best so far, but i think thats because the material doesnt make any extra buldge.

Maybe I'm trying to ask too much. Do any of you carry on your hip with just a T shirt?

Edit: I've only been carrying about a month. I may just be paranoid.

Last edited:
As of now I mostly use an ankle holster, but I would like to carry on my hip if needed.

I have a few different IWB and OWB holsters. I cant do anything to prevent printing my MP9c. Unless I have a baggy button down shirt or jacket, there is no way around it. The only way I get a little bit of concealment, is if i crank my belt to the point of extreme stomach aches and gas. [wink]

Is there anything I'm missing? Do all you guys have your belts cranked?

I'm 5'10, 170. I figured a MP9c would be manageable on my hip.

Derek

Wow...

I carry a 9c, usually on my ankle but on my hip if I wear belted shorts (on weekends). Sounds like your dilemma is the same I had some time ago.

I ended up settling with two for the hip:
- Crossbreed Supertuck (HERE)
- UBG Canute (THIS TYPE)

I actually liked the Crossbreed so much that I picked one up for my 5" 1911 and I now occasionally carry that on my hip.

To answer your question, no, you dont have to torque down your belt. Both of the above are tuckable, and I tuck in my shirts when I go out. Very, very little printing. I think your problem has a lot to do with holster choice.

Remember, you can never conceal from yourself.

I carry my M&P40c in a Comptac MTAC IWB holster and it disappears when I have a shirt over it. I love the holster, retention is great on this holster.
Link: http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

For OWB I use a Desantis Speed Scabbard Holster in black, love this one too. The retention is great on this holster also.
Link: http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...action=prepare_detail&itm_id=5499&itm_index=0

You don't have to crank your belt down, just make sure it's snug for both holsters. These are the only 2 holsters I have for this gun besides a Black Hawk Serpa, but I use that for the range, and I love both of them and use them both depending on how I am dressed. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those two. Let us know which one you get.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm trying to ask too much. Do any of you carry on your hip with just a T shirt?

As I said, I carry at 3:00 with just a loose fitting polo shirt, usually tucked. Never tried a t-shirt - but if was a tight fit it would be a no-go.

Last edited:
Another vote for the MTAC!! I just got one about a month ago. So comfortable I forget I'm wearing it.

Try carry at the 4 - 5 o'clock area. I carry in a baggy T all the time.

I'll look into those holsters. Quite a pretty penny though.

Whats you guys' opinion on holster resale? Think I could sell the two I have or do they often not sell?

Yea, they are a lil expensive. They are soo worth it though, they will last a long time and they are very comfortable.

Well, what kinda holsters do you have now? If they are decent holsters and are in good shape, ya never know, someone may pick it up if you post it on here for sale.

However you carry, try to keep it as consistent as possible. You don't want to reach for your ankle when a nutjob starts shooting up the McDonald's you're in if your gun is in an IWB.

Also, what kind of belt are you using? My suggestion would be to get yourself a belt designed to carry a gun, preferably one with a stiff insert in it to hold the gun upright. If you do this, the belt can be worn comfortably (i.e. not tightened to the point where circulation gets cut off), and the gun will stay in place.

Just as important is a quality holster. I really like the Crossbreed Supertuck (I've only worn it tucked once, I just use it as a normal IWB), but others in this thread have listed some good ones.

And last but not least, expect to have to try out a few before you settle on the one that fits you best. Try as many as you can (ones that friends have, in the aisle at the gun store, etc.) before buying, and dress around the gun if you have to.

Carry often. [grin]

I've carried a M&P 9c in a Bluegrass Holsters Kit Carson OWB and a Milt Sparks VM II (IWB) w/o problems. I've carried a 1911 and H&K USP 40c in Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holsters (IWB) with no problems.

Yes the shirts have to be a bit loose, but even if they are a bit tight, nobody seems to notice.

In all cases, I'm wearing a Wilderness Tactical 5-stitch Instructor belt.

I used to carry everything but my duty gun in cheap $10-15 leather holsters with a single belt clip. Once I tried a good holster on, I never looked back.

You get what you pay for in this arena! Cheap gets you cheap, usually uncomfortable and don't be surprised if you draw it and the holster comes with the gun. Expensive will get you top quality that is functional and comfortable.

I go to school In Salem. I may need to venture up that way to sign an apartment lease. I'll definitely take you up on that offer. I'll give you a heads up in advance if I'm in that area.

I'll add my holsters to the FS forum to see If i can build up my new holster fund.

He could also go green, attend a member's shoot and try out a ton of holsters there. [wink]

Believe me, its high up on my to do list.

Money has been tight with the current rainy weather. I work for myself painting decks and sheds.

I'm not even concerned about the member's shoots, I just feel like I owe this forum for putting up with me.

My current holsters are for sale. Hopefully I can fund a different type.

Anybody notice anything different? [grin]

<<<<<<

Another vote for an MTAC. i wear mine at 3:00 with just a tshirt everyday. if i have it at 4:00, my Glock 23 sticks out like a sore thumb. 3:00 works for me. hell, for 6 months i CCW a M&P9 fullsize like that without an issue...just bending over it would print a little bit.

im 6'1 215...and i usually wear a XXL when concealing just cause it makes me feel more comfortable, but i have no prob wearing a 'kinda tight' XL having no printing issues.

I'm on comp-tacs website.

I'm looking at the M-tac holster, but the spartan looks very similar and a lot cheaper.

Are any of you familiar with the spartans? Any issue of concealment between the two?

Derek

I have 3 of the regular crossbreed IWB's 2 for my 1911's and 1 for my P99 and they are the most comfortable IWB's I have worn. I am even considering a supertuck.
Crossbreed offers a 2 week trial period and a lifetime quarantee.
I also have a Milt Sparks VM II for my P99 and it is comfortable and very well made but if you get one you will wait a long time and it will cost alot more.

I'll look into those holsters. Quite a pretty penny though.

Whats you guys' opinion on holster resale? Think I could sell the two I have or do they often not sell?

If you want to carry, spend the coin. I tried the cheaper alterntaives too and printed like a mofo (SIG239). MTAC at 4 O'Clock and less bulge then a cellphone.

Holsters do matter

Derek,

I just sent you PMs regarding the other matters but wanted to let you know that I'm in agreement with many others here that are suggesting the M-TAC- I've been pouring over tons of reviews on different forums on other sites to hear what they've had to say- it came down to the M-Tac or the Supertuck and I decided on the M-Tac myself and will be likely ordering it soon.

I'm on comp-tacs website.

I'm looking at the M-tac holster, but the spartan looks very similar and a lot cheaper.

Are any of you familiar with the spartans? Any issue of concealment between the two?

Derek

I am familiar with the spartan. The Spartan and the Mtac are pretty much the same but on the back the spartan doesn't have the screws covered with another piece of leather. Like the website says the spartan is the economy version of the Mtac. They both conceal the same.

Raven Concealment is worth a look, I carry my 9c in a Phantom and it conceals very well. I have to keep it at about 4:30 with just a tee shirt. As mentioned, a gun belt is a must.

I love this shirt!
http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tacocashss.html

Got mine in today. It has false front breakaway buttons down the middle and hides my shoulder holster and Sig 250 perfect. It also hides, my ammo mag paddle holster, my IWB's too. It also allows me to hide my full size colt 1911 OWB in this holster http://www.lapolicegear.com/bianchi-82-carrylok-holster.html

It has inside hidden pockets, and the vertical seam near your waist weapon is tearaway velcro. Where it tears away isnt on top of your gun either. I am 5'9" and 240 lbs, so I have a hard time concealing on the waist. This shirt rules!

Back
Top Bottom