• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinion on an M1 carbine

The price and description of the gunsamerica M-1 Carbine make it look like a collector's item more than a shooter. However all the views were external, hopefully the insides look as good.

for the first one you mentioned:

Standard was the producer of the 2nd smallest amount of carbines.Only Rockola made less. Std made 247,155 and Rockola made 228,500.

Compare that to GM (inland) with 2,644,048 and you'll see that this will bring a premium at auction. You'll also know why the barrel was replaced with an Inland barrel an Inland trigger group was installed somewhere along the line.

This one was made late in Dec 43. This might bid up a bit because of the qtys made.

I don't know enough about the other markings to know which are correct for each piece.

There is virtually no descriptive info on that rifle to help decide what it is. It might be an import, it doesn't say. If it was, it would bring less.

The barrel finish looks almost like rust and there is very little blueing (park) on any of the metal. It's real hard to tell in the pics.

If you want it, set a value you're willing to spend and don't be tempted to go over it.

Personally, I wouldn't go over $700 but even before I bid that, I'd like to know more. See if you can ask questions of the seller.

Don;t feel bad if this goes by, there are others out there.

for the second one: overpriced.

Last edited:
Thanks

Very helpful info, thank you all very much for the asistance. I am determined to get a Carbine but want to make sure it is a nice one that will be safe to shoot as well as has some military history. Thanks.

By the way, stopped off at Collectors Gallery in Stoneham on the way home today, in addition to an Auto Ordanance one, he had one there that he said was on consignment that had a folding paratrooper style stock, but appeared to me to have remains of a blued finish rather than parkarized barrel and the barrel looked somehow different, in addition to not looking like a park finish just something looked different in my limited knowledge of them, than GI models I have seen.

If any of you are in the area to take a look, would be interested in your opinion, if I recall correctly, think it had a $1400 price tag on it, from what I have read, that might not be a bad price if a real GI paratrooper model, hope I did not pass up a good deal, be interested in any of your opinions if you see it or have already seen it.

Stosh,

Is that the one that looks like someone knocked the rear sight off of it? I looked at it and something struck me as strange about it too. It made me wonder if someone didn't take a stock M1 Carbine and doll it up to look like a paratrooper model.

LenS said:
Stosh,

Is that the one that looks like someone knocked the rear sight off of it? I looked at it and something struck me as strange about it too. It made me wonder if someone didn't take a stock M1 Carbine and doll it up to look like a paratrooper model.

From what I have heard, that wouldn't be the first time somethingl iek this has happened. The problem with identifying these "copies" is that the casual (and even not-so-casual) observer may not be able to spot the signs that say this has been done.

M1 Carbine Disassembly, Assembly, Cleaning instructions

Might someone be able to direct me to what they believe to be some good / accurate information available on line for the take down and cleaning and reassembly for the military M1 Carbine. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom