• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinion - C&R sales within Massachusetts

Long gun transaction can be done at the FFL at the seller's state (in contrast, handguns must involve an FFL in the buyer's state). C&R guns can follow the rules discussed in earlier part of the thread. All situations you need to file FA-10 after the firearm gets into MA.

That's what I thought.

Longguns are easy.

If the FRB is actually correct in their interpretation of the law, then I would venture a guess that most gun owners in MA are criminals. Let them try and enforce it.

I agree, my guess is that 90% or more of gun owners who have sold or traded guns to or through a dealer never did an FA10 with them listed as Seller. IMO they would never come looking it would only be an issue in a bigger investigation and maybe not even then. I have a couple I sold and Kittery that way and I can't find the receipt from Kittery, that was 12 years ago. Am I worried, no, if they get to that point I probably have bigger problems.

I called the FRB from work today, safe to do because we have 400 employees and a phone bank, every time you make an out going call it gets a different number, so it is very hard to trace. I asked the anonymous question about trading a gun to Kittery 10 years ago and how to handle, just to get their take on it, and they confirmed that there is nothing you can do about an FA10, and that if they did do a search and seizure the gun would be in the Federal database even if I didn't have the records and "hopefully" they would take my word and check with Kittery or the Feds before knocking down walls.
Of course I try to stay squeeky clean and the shotgun I traded hopefully is never used in a crime.

of course I worry about that about as much as I worry about an asteroid or the Federal sequester affecting me. I was just being curious.

I called the FRB from work today, safe to do because we have 400 employees and a phone bank, every time you make an out going call it gets a different number, so it is very hard to trace. I asked the anonymous question about trading a gun to Kittery 10 years ago and how to handle, just to get their take on it, and they confirmed that there is nothing you can do about an FA10, and that if they did do a search and seizure the gun would be in the Federal database even if I didn't have the records and "hopefully" they would take my word and check with Kittery or the Feds before knocking down walls.
Of course I try to stay squeeky clean and the shotgun I traded hopefully is never used in a crime.

of course I worry about that about as much as I worry about an asteroid or the Federal sequester affecting me. I was just being curious.

What federal database? There isn't one, at least not yet. All there is are individual FFL bound books.

And I have worse news for you, they will *not* necessarily check the state database, or may not check it correctly, before they knock down the walls. And the odds of a gun you used to own and legally transferred to a dealer being used in a crime must be higher than being hit by an asteriod, because it's happened to a gun I once owned.

Dude, stop worrying, posting, and calling about it. You don't want to incriminate yourself, and the folks at the FRB are not your friend.

10 years and nothing has happened yet. Hope it doesn't

The MA laws are so f^*Ked up,that no matter what we do or do not do they will find something wrong.Anyone that lives in MA, and ownes guns lives with that dark cloud over thier head.

CAUTION .... not only are MA laws screwed up and confusing they also change. A lot of information in this thread is over 5 years old and DOES NOT REFLECT THE CURRENT LAW.

10 years and nothing has happened yet. Hope it doesn't
I wouldn't worry about it. 'Mass-think' dictates the following:

This is a killy assault rifle...
iu

This is a safe hunting rifle...

iu

It may have to do with the color!

Standby. 2021, allegedly! If they don't gut it, which I suspect they will.

When more modern sporting arms become C&R eligible as they are just now becoming expect an outcry based on the old standby term "loophole". As Len points out there will be much posturing for safety of the children(impounded in protection free killing zones) and either eliminate the category or severely limit it.

Back
Top Bottom