• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Operation Iceberg. April fools 1945

FMH2016

NES Member
70 years ago tonight my grandfather was on a ship waiting to go ashore on the island of Okinawa. He celebrated his 19th birthday on that island with a cigarette on top of some type of chocolate cupcake of some sort. He passed last year in may. I'll never forget sitting in the backyard last year and listening to the stories of Okinawa. He did'nt talk about it much before that day and i believe he knew he wasnt doing to well. The stories were brutal and i feel like he went back to that 18 year old kid. Profanity wasnt something i heard him use til that day. I have thought a lot about his life and experiences. Times have really changed. He survived the war got married raised 4 children and owned his own business that flourished. He was stubborn controlling but truly only wanted the best for his family. Been reading about Okinawa for a few hours. My grandfather told me of the flame throwers and the caves and how the japanese troops hated okinawans and they convinced them that the americans were the devil and would rape and kill them all. He spoke of horrible stuff where entire villages ran off the cliffs to their deaths to escape the americans. They called the battle the steel typhoon because of the ferocity. Here's to the greatest generation from every battle throughout Europe and the Pacific island hopping. and heres some amazing info on the battle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Okinawa

Up until 6 or 7 years ago, a WWII vet at my club wanted to talk about his experience in Okinawa, but he would always end up crying and could never finish. The crying always began when he started to recall the names of friends in his unit that died. I think that he was suffering from survivor's guilt, but he was still a hero in my eyes, as is your grandfather. Since I haven't seen him for 6 or 7 years, I assume that he passed away or maybe is in a nursing home. My grandfather also fought in the Pacific theater and is now resting in peace.

I know a several WW2 vets from the Pacific, and a couple from Europe. Sadly they are now all old and only getting older. Many I've known have passed away.

It has always been hard to get stories out of these guys.

One story a guy told me goes as follows abridged:

They invaded some island early on in the war. And they get on the beach and into the jungle and then they start taking fire. So, they're all hiding behind trees. The commanding officers starts urging them on and orders my friend to run up to the next tree. So, he does. His commanding officer runs to the tree he was just at. Officer orders him to the next tree so he goes, only it's skinny and his ass is sticking out. It gets shot. His commanding officer comes running towards him and is promptly cut to ribbons.

The end of Saving Private Ryan is poignant because a lot of these guys probably felt the same way Private Ryan felt. "Earn it!" And as a tearful Private Ryan at the end of the movie questions himself and his life. I think that is what made that movie so powerful.

And then I ask myself if we're earning it. I'd argue we're losing it.

i was thinking the other day that my granddad did 4 years in the navy and was born in 28. that means when the war ended he was 17, 18 years old. I never realized how young he was when he served for our country. I came to this conclusion 2 months after his death…would have loved to ask his about it had I thought of it back in january. so glad i went on an honor flight to the dc ww2 memorial with him in november.

Back
Top Bottom