• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Operation: Convert Millennial

My daughter Lauren and I hatched a diabolical plan a while ago to convert as many of her non-shooting millennial friends to shooters by exposing them to a fun day at the range. This weekend, we executed another chapter in the plan with some of her law school friends (all from MA).

We had great weather, and the range all to ourselves. We shot all steel targets, because nothing says "millennial" like instant gratification.

We started with the heavy metal, which everyone enjoyed.

DSC_1132.JPG

DSC_1142.JPG
DSC_1147.JPG
There's nothing quite so satisfying as the "thump" of .30-06 hitting a 12" steel plate at 100 yards. And I'm always amazed at how easy it is for me to get a novice shooter to ring the gong with a Garand or an 03A3. It's a testament to brilliant rifle design.

Then we transitioned to "quieter" offerings...

DSC_1152.JPG

DSC_1153.JPG
DSC_1156.JPG
DSC_1166.JPG

My daughter wasn't about to be left out.

DSC_1167.JPG
"Wanna reset those plates, please?"

Can't forget the pistols...

DSC_1168.JPG
DSC_1174.JPG
And, you have to include the obligatory "class photo..."

DSC_1176.JPG
And they even took "couples photos," like it was Gun Prom.

DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
That's Lauren with someone she calls "her boyfriend," and I call "some guy sniffing around Lauren." We agree to disagree on what to call him.

And, since they ARE millennials, nothing really happened unless it's recorded and posted somewhere, so everyone went home with a nice video of themselves shooting. Here's a short compilation of them.

Interesting note for instructors: If you've never seen someone shooting cross-eye dominant (right hand/left eye in this case) by tilting their head over, check out the girl shooting at 1:17. I may snap a frame from there and use it in my BOPS class.

Overall, I think it was a successful battle in the "war to convert them to our side." And, we turned a shitload of ammo into big smiles, and had a lot of fun. Of course, the all-Dad, all-the-time, prep (loading magazines/clips/etc) and the post work wasn't, but that's a small price to pay for such a fun day.

Attachments

• DSC_1130.JPG
    DSC_1130.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
...so everyone went home with a nice video of themselves shooting...
...If you've never seen someone shooting cross-eye dominant (right hand/left eye in this case) by tilting their head over...

Sweet day at the range! I have a StrikeMark GoPro Picatinny Mount that I use on my AR sometimes... what are you using?

I shoot cross eyed ;):p, right hand/left eye and definitely do the head tilt thing... well, I used to. I've been practicing shooting with both eyes open now so that I don't have to do the tilt.

Nicely done!

And nice 1903! I like that you brought out the old stuff, too. Nothing quite like a Garand going "ting!" and that enbloc clip popping out, or the feel of working the bolt on a good bolt gun.

As a millennial myself I need a safe space after seeing that.....;)
Good job on showing them how fun the sport can be.

Sweet day at the range! I have a StrikeMark GoPro Picatinny Mount that I use on my AR sometimes... what are you using?

I shoot cross eyed ;):p, right hand/left eye and definitely do the head tilt thing... well, I used to. I've been practicing shooting with both eyes open now so that I don't have to do the tilt.

I use a couple of mounts. My main one for this is the POV Mounting Systems cantilever mount. I screw a small picatinny rail on the bottom of the rifle, and mount the camera facing the shooter on the right side. It also slides nicely onto the bottom pic rail on handguns.

The picture isn't great, but you can see the rail and camera (GoPro Hero 5 Session) on the right side of the rifle.

DSC_1154.JPG

It was my first time mounting one on the Garand, and I used a Rube Goldberg arrangement of mounts starting with a handlebar mount on the gas cylinder. It worked out great, but I have to rethink that one.

I'm also experimenting with the Sidekick Mount. I like the mounting position for rifles, although it doesn't help me with the angle I want for pistols.

Funny story: one of the girls had the common tendency to lean back and turn her body sideways when she held a rifle. I see it all the time, and one of the ways I get people to square off and get a proper stance it to tell them "OK, give me your fighting stance. Put 'em up." I have them put their hands up and square off like we're going to fight. Then I just slide the rifle into the pocket of their shoulder and move their hands right into position. It's a great starting point, and gets them pretty close to a modern, square-to-the-target, weight-forward stance.

So, I say "Try this. Give me a fighting stance." I get this:

DSC_1139.JPG

"Uh...OK. What are your hands doing down there?"

Hopefully you rounded off the day with some avocado toast and juice bomb IPAs at your local gastropub.

Nice work, looks like it was a fun day.

Hopefully you rounded off the day with some avocado toast and juice bomb IPAs at your local gastropub.

Nice work, looks like it was a fun day.

Holy. Shit.

On Monday, I had never heard of "avocado toast."
On Tuesday, I'm in the AA Club at DCA, and they have a "made-to-order" avocado toast station. I think "WTF's that all about?"
Today, my daughter texts me and says "I toasted a bagel, and put avocado and feta on it! My own avocado toast!" Complete with picture.
Just now, your post regarding "...avocado toast and juice bomb IPAs..."

Jesus. I need to get out more.

While you and your daughter may disagree on the title of her companion, take heart that he at least doesn't look to be a complete soyboy leftist.

All-in-all great stuff. I'm definitely hoping to make such an impact with my boys friends when they're old enough. Hearts and minds.

While you and your daughter may disagree on the title of her companion, take heart that he at least doesn't look to be a complete soyboy leftist.

All-in-all great stuff. I'm definitely hoping to make such an impact with my boys friends when they're old enough. Hearts and minds.

No, he's a solid conservative. He claims to be a former Marine, which I was able to confirm by reviewing his DD214, and it showed up on his background check. 7 of the 10 letters of reference he submitted mentioned it, and when I interviewed his neighbors, a couple of them mentioned it, too.

Excellent work! Every time I take a new shooter to the range I start them out with no can (smiles and enjoyment) and then I add the can to pistol/ rifle and they shoot again and it just turns to shit eating grins, they all think they're John Wick.

Just wish my range in the seacoast would allow steel targets.

No, he's a solid conservative. He claims to be a former Marine, which I was able to confirm by reviewing his DD214, and it showed up on his background check. 7 of the 10 letters of reference he submitted mentioned it, and when I interviewed his neighbors, a couple of them mentioned it, too.
The first cue was there were no soy faces in the pictures, thankfully. I don't understand why that's become the new face to make in pictures, and I find it really cringey.
upload_2018-5-23_11-24-15.jpeg

Holy. Shit.

On Monday, I had never heard of "avocado toast."
On Tuesday, I'm in the AA Club at DCA, and they have a "made-to-order" avocado toast station. I think "WTF's that all about?"
Today, my daughter texts me and says "I toasted a bagel, and put avocado and feta on it! My own avocado toast!" Complete with picture.
Just now, your post regarding "...avocado toast and juice bomb IPAs..."

Jesus. I need to get out more.

Even funnier: Avocado toast is already on the outs. The restaurants that made it famous are removing it from their menus. Already overdone.

You (and I) missed out!

Well done! One criticism... remove the front sight protector from the '03-A3 before firing. It's not a hood unless it's a Marine version. :cool:

Guns are fun to shoot, doesn't matter your race, religion, height, weight, sexual preference if your alive there fun to shoot plain and simple get em out there and they will agree. Nice job, I wouldn't have the patience.

I use a couple of mounts. My main one for this is the POV Mounting Systems cantilever mount. I screw a small picatinny rail on the bottom of the rifle, and mount the camera facing the shooter on the right side. It also slides nicely onto the bottom pic rail on handguns.

Funny story: one of the girls had the common tendency to lean back and turn her body sideways when she held a rifle. I see it all the time, and one of the ways I get people to square off and get a proper stance it to tell them "OK, give me your fighting stance. Put 'em up." I have them put their hands up and square off like we're going to fight. Then I just slide the rifle into the pocket of their shoulder and move their hands right into position. It's a great starting point, and gets them pretty close to a modern, square-to-the-target, weight-forward stance.

So, I say "Try this. Give me a fighting stance." I get this:

View attachment 234586

"Uh...OK. What are your hands doing down there?"

Cool. The Strikemark mount I have is very similar to your POV Mounting Systems mount.

STK.055-2.jpg

That's funny about the fighting stance story. If you asked me to give you a fighting stance, I would not have my shoulders squared off like that at all and I certainly would be facing the side a lot more and with one leg back and both knees bent a little with 30% of body weight on the front leg and 70% on the back for flexibility to move quickly but then again... I'm a ninjer :cool::D

Glad you found a technique to use on people so they can easily get in the shooting stance you want them to be in... looks like it works well! Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom