• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Letter to State Senator Tarr and Representative Ferrante

JRM

Still a bit of touching up to do on this (just finished) but I figured I'd share with ya'll before I submit to my local Newspaper:

Senator Tarr & Representative Ferrante,

I would like to express my sincere disdain for many of the proposed amendments found in Governor Patrick's legislation entitled "An Act To Strengthen and Enhance Firearms Laws in the Commonwealth."

As a long-time, responsible, firearms owner and enthusiast, I feel that many of Governor Patrick’s proposed amendments, to what are already some of the most restrictive firearms laws in the United States, do little to effectively address the issue of gun related violence here in Massachusetts, and only penalize upstanding citizens like myself.

I am a firm believer in a law abiding citizen’s constitutional right to bear arms. As an active member of my community, teacher, and father-to-be, I am also fully in agreement that certain common sense safeguards must be in place to protect members of our society from the criminal element and/or those who do not possess the mental faculties required to responsibly possess a firearm. Many of Governor Patrick’s proposed laws will do little to help safeguard the members of our great commonwealth from the epidemic levels of violence prevalent in our nation, but they will most certainly help to further erode the civil liberties that keep our country what it is today: Free, independent and strong.

The United States of America was founded on the premise that every citizen would be allotted the right to a life devoid of tyranny and oppression. This right has been fought for via speech, assembly, and, when necessary, physical force, since the 1700s. My late father, a member of the United States Army 503[SUP]rd[/SUP] Military Police Battalion, stood well armed and shoulder-to-shoulder with his comrades in 1962 to support efforts which ensured that former U.S. Air Force veteran and African American, James Merideth, could attain the same educational opportunities that his white counterparts in Oxford, Mississippi so readily enjoyed. Many of the rights we as members of this great country take for granted today were secured by the very object that numerous politicians throughout the U.S. would like to remove from the hands of their constituents: the modern day firearm.

As unlikely as it may be that the United States of America will ever experience a tyrannical government hell bent on sending anyone opposing it’s political agenda off to the gulags, the fact that we as citizens (currently) maintain the right to bear arms bolsters the ability of the people to stand up to injustice should the power of speech and assembly fail. Not all members of our beloved community, Commonwealth and Country prefer to place blind faith in the utopian idea that the Government will always be there for us during times of great need or that it will always and forever operate with our best interests in mind.

Although I choose to not align myself directly with any particular political party, I am American to the core and maintain a very liberal perspective when it comes to all things civil liberties related. People have the right in this country to determine their elected officials, their sexual preference and to voice their opinions; I’m confident that the maintenance of said rights is something that every liberal amongst us would agree is of paramount concern. That being said, it perplexes me as to how one could call themselves a liberal while concurrently calling for the reduction, or downright elimination, of the very right that allows us, as citizens of this great land, to protect the principles of freedom we so reverently embrace.

In closing, I urge you to call for additional time for reflection on this matter and the allocation of resources that will better address the issue of gun related violence. Eliminating a duly licensed owner’s ability to legally purchase 10 round magazines, buy more than one gun per month, or own a semi-automatic rifle will do nothing to stem the violence we’d all like to see eradicated not only here in the Bay State, but throughout the country as a whole. Addressing issues such as mental health, poverty and the flow of illegal weapons that makes the vast majority of gun related violence possible to begin with, are all areas that constitute much greater concern.

Many of our elected officials are looking for a quick solution to the very complex issue of gun violence by greatly restricting the ammunition, feeding devices and classifications of firearms we, the law abiding citizens of the Commonwealth, have access to and legal ownership of. I hope that you will not follow suit.

Sincerely and respectfully,

JRM

Here is a reply I received from Senator Tarr. It is a measured response but he is the minority leader.

Thank you for contacting my office with regard to the tragic events and loss of life at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut on December 14th of last year, and the many concerns and issues which this incident has brought forth. In the wake of this horrific act of violence, we must all examine every avenue to increase public safety while respecting the rights and dignity of every citizen, including those who lawfully possess firearms, as well as those who deal each day with various forms of mental illness. My staff and I are engaged in just that type of examination now, seeking measures that our state could undertake, if any, in addition to those that already exist, that would be productive in contributing to increased public safety. I continue to believe that any actions taken by the Legislature should address problems that are not already the subject of existing laws, and that the protections of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution must be upheld.

A preliminary step as we consider a course of action in this area is to review our state’s existing laws regulating the ownership and possession of firearms, which are already among the strictest in the nation. My office has completed this review, and I am enclosing a copy of our findings for your information as well. Next, we will begin to examine the state’s mechanisms for the identification and treatment of those with psychological or behavioral issues which could result in them being a threat to the safety of themselves or others. That effort will be ongoing over the next several weeks.

With an understanding of how our Commonwealth currently deals with the types of individuals and circumstances that could lead to a tragedy, such as the one that occurred in Connecticut, we will be prepared to consider what remains to be addressed with new legislation, regulation, education, or other mechanisms. I will move forward in that process with your thoughts and recommendations in mind.

Thank you again for contacting my office and working to contribute to greater public safety. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if I may be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Bruce Tarr
State Senator

Back
Top Bottom