Open House at Hopedale Pistol and Rifle Club

I was a member there for quite a while, I thought they were closed for good after the junior rifle lead problem?

New attitude; liberal range rules and visitor policy. Junior and women's programs too

Seems I remember reading a while back (possibly quite a while back) that Hopedale was a relatively simple & inexpensive club to join if you were only interested in shooting .22 LR handguns indoors. Looks like that has changed a lot, or am I mixing up Hopedale with some other club?

You were able to shoot most all handguns, no magnum loads,nothing over 900-1000 fps when I was a member and 22 lr rifle and air. It was a great place to go shoot, frequently when I went I was alone or one other member. Card 24/7/365

You were able to shoot most all handguns, no magnum loads,nothing over 900-1000 fps when I was a member and 22 lr rifle and air. It was a great place to go shoot, frequently when I went I was alone or one other member. Card 24/7/365
Understood on no magnum rounds, but I thought I heard no FMJ or JHP ammo at all even for 9mm and .45 ACP. Has that changed?

The good news is that I've got .22 LR conversions for many of my centerfire pistols, so a .22 LR only indoor range wouldn't be all that unreasonable for me if the price is right.

Understood on no magnum rounds, but I thought I heard no FMJ or JHP ammo at all even for 9mm and .45 ACP. Has that changed?

The good news is that I've got .22 LR conversions for many of my centerfire pistols, so a .22 LR only indoor range wouldn't be all that unreasonable for me if the price is right.

I've attached the range rules that show allowable ammo. As you will see they did eliminate the FMJ limitation as you mention.

Attachments

• hprc range rules.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 26
We are entertaining the addition of magnums; rifle chambered in pistol calibers and ability to move firing line as close as 25’ from the backstop. Jr rifle program, woman’s program and bullseye team

We are entertaining the addition of magnums; rifle chambered in pistol calibers and ability to move firing line as close as 25’ from the backstop. Jr rifle program, woman’s program and bullseye team
A good first step is actual testing rather than relying on folklore about what the backstop is good for.

My club had a "no FMJ" rule, until we did testing. We spray painted the backstop to see impact points and fired some high velocity FMJ rounds. The result was that the paint was scratched. Upon presentation of the results to the president and board, the rule was changed.

A good first step is actual testing rather than relying on folklore about what the backstop is good for.

My club had a "no FMJ" rule, until we did testing. We spray painted the backstop to see impact points and fired some high velocity FMJ rounds. The result was that the paint was scratched. Upon presentation of the results to the president and board, the rule was changed.
There was another additional plate added to the existing backstop allowing it to be used with fmj.

We did something very similar fortunately we were confident in our new AR500 1/2” backstop. Regrettably the club operated under the false premise and ignorance the old perpetuated by the old guard. We have new leadership and new rules

Last edited:
There was another additional plate added to the existing backstop allowing it to be used with fmj.
If you are referring to Hopkinton, the second 4ftx4ft (approx) plate in the center of each shooting position has been there for decades.

If you are referring to Hopkinton, the second 4ftx4ft (approx) plate in the center of each shooting position has been there for decades.
Rob: I was specifically following up to your reply to my comment as it pertains to Hopedale. I would not presume to comment on tge construction at HSA as I am unfamiliar with the specifics

Back
Top Bottom