Open carrying of rifles and shotguns in RI?

I'll admit I haven't yet applied through either Providence or the AG. How likely am I to receive a carry permit though? I thought it was nearly impossible. If I'm issued a permit, then so be it. Otherwise I might consider the open carrying of a rifle. If more people did that, I can guarantee you they would make the carry permit application process easier immediately.

"If I'm not allowed to discretely carry a pistol, then I'll just carry a loaded rifle."
So in R.I you have to qualify shooting at the army L target 30 rounds in 30 minutes slow fire in 3 10 round strings. You must score a 195 out f a possible 300 . At 25 yards ! I know alot of guys say oh that's not hard. But really that is not really pistol distance . Most pistols especially ones suitable for concealed carry are not very accurate at that distance. It is also not a normal self defense distance . Also yes a gun guy whom owns several guns and goes to the range frequently can do it. But what about someone whom just wants to protect them self's and their family when out and about. And does not want to be at the range 3 or more times a week. Once or twice a month is enough to be able to hit a mansised target at 7 yards wich is still farther than most self defense shootings happen but not enough to pass that test. Also what about the older folks whom also want to be protected with older eyes 25 yards isn't easy. I feel that RI ccw qualification test is designed to make people fail .

So in R.I you have to qualify shooting at the army L target 30 rounds in 30 minutes slow fire in 3 10 round strings. You must score a 195 out f a possible 300 . At 25 yards ! I know alot of guys say oh that's not hard. But really that is not really pistol distance . Most pistols especially ones suitable for concealed carry are not very accurate at that distance. It is also not a normal self defense distance . Also yes a gun guy whom owns several guns and goes to the range frequently can do it. But what about someone whom just wants to protect them self's and their family when out and about. And does not want to be at the range 3 or more times a week. Once or twice a month is enough to be able to hit a mansised target at 7 yards wich is still farther than most self defense shootings happen but not enough to pass that test. Also what about the older folks whom also want to be protected with older eyes 25 yards isn't easy. I feel that RI ccw qualification test is designed to make people fail .
Serious answer: Find some older folks to file an ADA claim against the law and see where it goes.

The shooting test isn't necessarily designed to make people fail the shooting test. Its designed to be another deterrent to prevent people from applying. If you want to pass the test, you can get it down by using a 1911 and doing plenty of patient, mindful dry firing for a week or two for a half hour a day. I went from a 170-something to a 225 by just doing dry fire practice. A 1911 is the best pistol to do the test to because you're only supposed to carry a gun equal to or less than the caliber you qualified with and a 1911 will usually have a decent trigger. The test is all about trigger control and basic pistol marksmanship.

Is it unconstitutional? Yes. Is it impossible to pass? Not for the average shooter barring some physical disability.

Serious answer: Find some older folks to file an ADA claim against the law and see where it goes.

Any proof this strategy works?

I would like to try and get it changed . I have done resurch and found that some states that even make you qualify live fire the test is much easier! Sometimes done with a 22 . If you pass you carry whatever u wish. Not that many would fail with a 22 target pistol at 10 an 12 yards !

I would like to try and get it changed . I have done resurch and found that some states that even make you qualify live fire the test is much easier! Sometimes done with a 22 . If you pass you carry whatever u wish. Not that many would fail with a 22 target pistol at 10 an 12 yards !

The live fire requirement is unconstitutional. The only changes I can suggest are "dump the f*cker." I wrote a paper on RI concealed carry laws while I was at CCRI and I concluded with either keeping it as is or ditching it entirely.

How do you intend to change the law? Legislative lobbying or through a lawsuit? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not say how in public.

Back
Top Bottom