Open carrying of rifles and shotguns in RI?

I've looked all over the place and can't find a single law prohibiting the open carry of long guns in RI. Is anybody aware of an obscure (perhaps hunting related) law I may have missed?

There are no laws against openly carrying unloaded long guns. However, depending on where you go you might be arrested (or shot) for causing public disturbance since it's not something you see every day in RI and I am sure a lot of people would panic.

Is there definitely a law requiring them to be unloaded?
Well, I couldn't find anything in the firearms act, other than that you cannot have a loaded weapon in a vehicle (11-47-51). However, there might be something in the Fish and Wildlife statutes since you could be considered as a hunter..
Why don't you apply for a pistol permit instead?

Why don't you apply for a pistol permit instead?

I'll admit I haven't yet applied through either Providence or the AG. How likely am I to receive a carry permit though? I thought it was nearly impossible. If I'm issued a permit, then so be it. Otherwise I might consider the open carrying of a rifle. If more people did that, I can guarantee you they would make the carry permit application process easier immediately.

"If I'm not allowed to discretely carry a pistol, then I'll just carry a loaded rifle."

Last edited:
If anybody is interested in doing an event like this in the future, let me know. It's really not safe to do something like this alone or without members of the media present. It's also probably a good idea to notify the police of your intentions ahead of time. The perfect venue for something like this? I'm thinking Downtown Providence during either WaterFire or a similarly large event.

Rhode Island is a Shall Issue state, so I would encourage you to apply in Providence. There is a problem with some Chief not understanding the law, or they refuse to respect it, but a know a couple of Chiefs (Smithfield and Providence) have been sued and were ordered to accept applications and process them according to the law (11-47-11).
I have heard too many people who doesn't even want to apply cause they don't think they will get a permit.... The law, which is confirmed by case law, gives you the right to be licensed. It's true that some towns doesn't follow the law, but the law is on the gun owner's side. Unless residents challenge the towns that doesn't follow the law, nothing will change. The Chief in Bristol has been very opposed to issuing, but after getting the town solicitor, town council, and ACLU involved they developed an application and it's expected that they will issue the first permit shortly.
Contact the Armory in Providence and request an application. If they tell you to go to the AG, request the application as an Open Record.

Here is a link that shows which towns have applications http://www.rifol.org/pistolpermitstudy.php

If anybody is interested in doing an event like this in the future, let me know. It's really not safe to do something like this alone or without members of the media present. It's also probably a good idea to notify the police of your intentions ahead of time. The perfect venue for something like this? I'm thinking Downtown Providence during either WaterFire or a similarly large event.

Let me know how this works out for you...or better yet, I'll just see you on the 6:00 news. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I'm interested in the legalities of open carrying a rifle/shotgun as well. I live close to a WMA and want to ride my bicycle there with my gun on a sling and hunting gear in a backpack so I can do some squirrel and some other small game hunting. I have gotten way out of shape and figure it would be a good way to drop a few lbs. Checking out the RI laws it looks like I can open carry an unloaded rifle while riding a bike, a bike would be a "conveyance," right? Not that I really care to but the way the law is worded it sounds to me carrying a loaded rifle is legal as long as you are not in a "vehicle or conveyance." Or does "upon" mean a conveyance and "along" mean walking?

"It is unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun or a rifle or shotgun from the magazine of which all shells and cartridges have not been removed in or on any vehicle or conveyance or its attachments while upon or along any public highway, road, lane, or trail within this state..."

Even if it is legal to carry a rifle I can imagine peddling along and out of nowhere getting the crap beaten out of me or shot by the local police.

There is a guy who has an open carry license in RI and blogs about it. He's been arrested on Thayer St for having a gun, despite having the license. The cops just have zero clue whatsoever that it's even a thing.

There is a guy who has an open carry license in RI and blogs about it. He's been arrested on Thayer St for having a gun, despite having the license. The cops just have zero clue whatsoever that it's even a thing.

Do you have a link to the blog? I'm curious as to what happened afterwards.

I know this is an old thread but I'm interested in the legalities of open carrying a rifle/shotgun as well. I live close to a WMA and want to ride my bicycle there with my gun on a sling and hunting gear in a backpack so I can do some squirrel and some other small game hunting. I have gotten way out of shape and figure it would be a good way to drop a few lbs. Checking out the RI laws it looks like I can open carry an unloaded rifle while riding a bike, a bike would be a "conveyance," right? Not that I really care to but the way the law is worded it sounds to me carrying a loaded rifle is legal as long as you are not in a "vehicle or conveyance." Or does "upon" mean a conveyance and "along" mean walking?

"It is unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun or a rifle or shotgun from the magazine of which all shells and cartridges have not been removed in or on any vehicle or conveyance or its attachments while upon or along any public highway, road, lane, or trail within this state..."

Even if it is legal to carry a rifle I can imagine peddling along and out of nowhere getting the crap beaten out of me or shot by the local police.

MtBike.jpg

Well I went to the town of Westerly P.D. today to see if I could get an application for a ccw and they gave me the "go to the Attorney General's Office" line and then I asked about open carrying a rifle or shotgun they told me it was illegal and I told them that there was no law against it and they just kept on telling me that I couldn't do it. They were actually being friendly I think they thought just thought I was a moron. I'm thinking about talking to a lawyer and having them contact the P.D. so I wont get messed with. Is this a good idea? If I can't get a ccw I'll just walk around town with a rifle on a sling.

Well I went to the town of Westerly P.D. today to see if I could get an application for a ccw and they gave me the "go to the Attorney General's Office" line and then I asked about open carrying a rifle or shotgun they told me it was illegal and I told them that there was no law against it and they just kept on telling me that I couldn't do it. They were actually being friendly I think they thought just thought I was a moron. I'm thinking about talking to a lawyer and having them contact the P.D. so I wont get messed with. Is this a good idea? If I can't get a ccw I'll just walk around town with a rifle on a sling.

Go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

So I was going to buy a rifle from a guy who lived in Woonsocket or Providence. I told him that I have a RI CCW so I do not need a background check and because private sales are legal in RI, he could literally show up at my house, I give him the money, he gives me the rifle. This is in fact the law in RI. If you have a town issued CCW, you are exempt from a background check or waiting period. In fact, all of the FFLs knowsthis and while they still have to perform a federal instant check, after they are done with that they just hand you your firearm and you walk out the door. But since a private party seller is not required to perform a federal check and not regulated by the ATF, there is nothing more to it.

Ok, it sounds ridiculously weird. I get that. The guy does not believe me. Understandable. So he calls up my local PD to confirm my story and they start freaking out telling him how illegal it is and that I am just wrong and it cannot be done. Despite that fact that the law is well understood by dealers, lawyers and anyone who has a CCW.

It has been my experience that police know less about firearms law than just about anyone else. But that will not stop them from arresting you out of their own ignorance.

So I was going to buy a rifle from a guy who lived in Woonsocket or Providence. I told him that I have a RI CCW so I do not need a background check and because private sales are legal in RI, he could literally show up at my house, I give him the money, he gives me the rifle. This is in fact the law in RI. If you have a town issued CCW, you are exempt from a background check or waiting period. In fact, all of the FFLs knowsthis and while they still have to perform a federal instant check, after they are done with that they just hand you your firearm and you walk out the door. But since a private party seller is not required to perform a federal check and not regulated by the ATF, there is nothing more to it.

Ok, it sounds ridiculously weird. I get that. The guy does not believe me. Understandable. So he calls up my local PD to confirm my story and they start freaking out telling him how illegal it is and that I am just wrong and it cannot be done. Despite that fact that the law is well understood by dealers, lawyers and anyone who has a CCW.

It has been my experience that police know less about firearms law than just about anyone else. But that will not stop them from arresting you out of their own ignorance.

That last part is why some of us do not trust any cop. The vast majority clearly don't know the law most of the time, yet they have no problem "enforcing the law".

Godspeed my friend...
[popcorn]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by newportri
If you are in possession of the rifle/shotgun it should be unloaded regardless of whether you are walking, biking, or driving in public.

Yea wordering about this the law says unloaded when it pertains to vehicles, not walking.

Godspeed my friend...
[popcorn]

Brb pricing out body armour...lol j/k. Westerly is a small town I'm thinking about going to a lawyer to confirm the legalities of carrying a rifle and having the lawyer contact the police chief then the Chief would have to tell the rest of the Dept. and
my butt should be covered. Also since Westerly wont give me an application for a ccw they are violating state law? If being a collector now is proper reason for carrying when pertaining to the town (not the AG) I can say I'm a collector (mailing out application for C&R tomorrow) maybe they will give me a ccw because they simply don't want me to carry the shotgun or rifle around because everyone will be calling 911 and causing to much of a scene.

Brb pricing out body armour...lol j/k. Westerly is a small town I'm thinking about going to a lawyer to confirm the legalities of carrying a rifle and having the lawyer contact the police chief then the Chief would have to tell the rest of the Dept. and
my butt should be covered. Also since Westerly wont give me an application for a ccw they are violating state law? If being a collector now is proper reason for carrying when pertaining to the town (not the AG) I can say I'm a collector (mailing out application for C&R tomorrow) maybe they will give me a ccw because they simply don't want me to carry the shotgun or rifle around because everyone will be calling 911 and causing to much of a scene.
Westerly has applications and has issued permits. Send them an Open Records request and ask for the application and I am sure they will send it to you.
You don't need to have a C&R to be a collector. Mosby (Mosby v. Devine) was a collector, but he did not have a C&R license.

Westerly has applications and has issued permits. Send them an Open Records request and ask for the application and I am sure they will send it to you.
You don't need to have a C&R to be a collector. Mosby (Mosby v. Devine) was a collector, but he did not have a C&R license.

I need an Open Records request for an application? Even the website says: PISTOL PERMIT
Pistol permits are only issued to Westerly residents who hold a valid RI pistol permit. RI permits are issued through the RI Attorney General's Office. The RIAG application is available at www.riag.state.ri.us.

No, you don't need to do an Open Records to get an application, but some Chiefs tell you to go to the AG. If you ask for the application under APRA most of them are able to produce an application.

I am new to this form. Although this post is older, I figured I would pose the question anyway. I am wondering if you got anyone else willing to OC? From my understanding you can open carry long guns without a permit. I might be interested in so and filming it.

Back
Top Bottom