Open Carry

I specifically asked my local pd about this while doing their citizens police academy, they said OC is legal and fine. IF someone were to call about it, they would show up of course, but say "nice gun" and be on their way unless you are doing something shady.
“Nice gun…hey, is that marijuanna i smell?”

That is completely meaningless, an officer's mindset with regards to peoples ownership/carry of guns varies radically. The law and the training don't determine someones ideas of discretion.

Particularly in this region. I've been stopped by at least one cop for a minor traffic violation, and based on his extreme reaction to the data ping off my LTC, i would not want to see what kind of shit/hassle that kid would do to an open carrier.
How do you know he pulled you over because of the LTC?

How do you know he pulled you over because of the LTC?

That's not what I said. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

In MA when MSP* pulls you over for anything, if the car reg and the owner DL match, they will also see your LTC pop hot (literally with a f***ing warning triangle) on their MDT (it does a cross-reference lookup) So they will know you have an LTC, and maybe a couple mouseclicks away? from seeing all the guns you have registered.

*and, any other agency that uses CJISWEB or has a full MDT setup in their cruisers. Many towns don't do this, especially towns where the cops have better things to do than harass
motorists.

OP is 21 and a non-resident

He seems to be excited to practice his rights and perhaps help advance them (for himself and others) where possible

It sounds like there might be a little "freak out the squares" in there, too. I can respect this, I've done my share of it. Rarely in a way that risks arrest, nor without a basic understanding of those risks

I dunno if its arrest so much as a spectrum of potentially mild to highly annoying hassle level or unnecessary detainment.

In the past this sort of thing also potentially caused suitability issues. (its ancient history now, but pizza guy jacket blowing open was the big
example, I think that guy got his LTC back but it literally took years for him to do so, and probably thousands in legal fees. ) Of course case law
may have changed this tenor somewhat (maybe Simkin?) but not sure if that can be used to fight an "unsuitable!" claim in another
context.

I dunno if its arrest so much as a spectrum of potentially mild to highly annoying hassle level or unnecessary detainment.

In the past this sort of thing also potentially caused suitability issues. (its ancient history now, but pizza guy jacket blowing open was the big
example, I think that guy got his LTC back but it literally took years for him to do so, and probably thousands in legal fees. ) Of course case law
may have changed this tenor somewhat (maybe Simkin?) but not sure if that can be used to fight an "unsuitable!" claim in another
context.
I agree that arrest is increasingly unlikely. Detention definitely depends on the location.

I tried to find the jacket guy but couldn't remember enough details. I think he was in Springfield?

Simkin was the non-resident with a temp license who visited a doctor under an assumed name, paid cash, and informed the nurse he had weapons before locking them in his briefcase when asked to undress. So the nurse waited until that afternoon to call the police on him.

Eventually, he got his LTC back. And we got case law that said he's not responsible for someone else's discomfort around firearms. Which is great, but it assumes that every officer in every PD in MA knows and will abide by the law as we now understand it.

I tried to find the jacket guy but couldn't remember enough details. I think he was in Springfield?

Another open carry thread here discusses that one in more detail, along with others.

For a while I had the same itch to want to open carry here. Not because of “my rights!!” But because an OWB holster is just way more comfortable. Then I went to NH where the law was still that you had to Open Carry and I went to a shady pizza shop with shady customers.. concealed turns out is actually more comfortable.

I specifically asked my local pd about this while doing their citizens police academy, they said OC is legal and fine. IF someone were to call about it, they would show up of course, but say "nice gun" and be on their way unless you are doing something shady.
in effn Reading? I'd want that on letterhead signed by the C.O.P.

Im sure the Dorchester PD would do the same [smile]

I think it may have been Massad Ayoob who wrote years ago that Open Carry could get you into some legal jeopardy based on the “reasonable person“ doctrine. Simply put, if you put a “reasonable person“ in fear of death or grave bodily harm, you are guilty of the crime of simple assault. We all know that panicking supermarket Karens will call 911 at the mere suggestion that a gun is present.

I honestly believe that the only reason the concept of open carrying exists in Massachusetts law is for armed security guards, armored car drivers, and the like.

That being said, when I am in a free state and I see people open carrying, I smile. Culturally, it’s just not accepted here. Damn shame.
Only you can change that

I agree that arrest is increasingly unlikely. Detention definitely depends on the location.

Nope, that was Joe (Landers?) from Dedham, but you are thinking of the attorney in springfield who got rustled for OC after the wind blew his suit jacket open (I think he was walking to or from a courthouse or something like that) and revealed a handgun and some cop spotted it, detained him because "feels" and "confiscated" his gun and LTC (I think they just took the card, not actually suspended it etc as they were not the issuing authority) I think that attorney eventually took the PD to court and got his shit back under a year later because they had no legal reason to take it to begin with. Of course both of those were pre Simkin, would be fun to know how that shit shakes out nowadays.... @nstassel maybe got one of these? or are they just not making court at this point?

For a while I had the same itch to want to open carry here. Not because of “my rights!!” But because an OWB holster is just way more comfortable. Then I went to NH where the law was still that you had to Open Carry and I went to a shady pizza shop with shady customers.. concealed turns out is actually more comfortable.

You're inferring that OWB=open carry. It is not the same.

and yes, concealed carrying OWB is much more comfortable. Less sweat gets on the gun while you're working too.

You're inferring that OWB=open carry. It is not the same.

and yes, concealed carrying OWB is much more comfortable. Less sweat gets on the gun while you're working too.
Exactly. When I carry in a belt holster I most often carry in an OWB pancake holster on my right hip. The key is the cover garment — loose fitting, preferably darker and patterned, if possible from a thicker fabric.

Did they make you an offer you couldn't refuse?

Back
Top Bottom