• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open carry while bug man is here...

Open carry while bug/pest control is here?

• Total voters

Golddiggie

NES Member
Not so much a question, since my 1911 double stack is already on my hip, with a full mag, and my spare mag is on my weak side...

Back story: On Monday night, while trying to get to sleep, I heard bee noises coming from above me (in the attic). So, I emailed my LL to let him know and find out what he's going to do about it. Someone is coming out today between 12 and 2 to take care of it (he arranged it so I don't know who's coming). I do hope he has the rotten wood, on the ends of the house, replaced soon too. That's where the buggers got in (neighbors spotted bees entering this spring).

So, since I don't know who's coming, and the only attic access is in the master bedroom, which is where my gun cabinet/safe lives, I've got my sidearm on. With 30 rounds of 230 grain .45 ACP hollow points in mags. [smile]

So, am I nutso for going the open carry route? Or should I also sling on my 300 Blackout pistol (with the 40 round PMag loaded with Barnes VorTex)??

You obviously think it's weird if you need to make a poll for it. I can't imagine the need to OC every time a contractor comes to fix a problem I have. Where's the tinfoil hat poll option?

I voted "of course."

I've gotten to know our bug guy (he comes 3x/yr) fairly well. He's a cool guy, and doesn't seem to give a crap that I have guns.

Do you feel threatened somehow, by having a 'stranger' in your apartment? Wouldn't said contractor have been 'vetted' by the landlord?

Great idea. That let's him know for sure you have guns in the house. And that's great info for strangers to have, because guns exude a magic aura and forcefield even when you're not home. Criminals and nefarious folk NEVER target houses with guns for break-ins when the owners are not home. Wear it loud and proud!

Great idea. That let's him know for sure you have guns in the house. And that's great info for strangers to have, because guns exude a magic aura and forcefield even when you're not home. Criminals and nefarious folk NEVER target houses with guns for break-ins when the owners are not home. Wear it loud and proud!

/thread

I voted "of course."

I've gotten to know our bug guy (he comes 3x/yr) fairly well. He's a cool guy, and doesn't seem to give a crap that I have guns.

Do you feel threatened somehow, by having a 'stranger' in your apartment? Wouldn't said contractor have been 'vetted' by the landlord?

My LL is ex air force... [rolleyes] He's also the one that said he was going to have the rotten wood replaced in the spring of 2013... Over a year later and it's never been touched (by humans at least, the birds and bugs love it). Found out, on Tuesday, that he's looking to list the house at the start of next year. He seems to think he'll get back what he's in it for. [rofl2] He also said he wasn't planning on doing the wood replacement (found this out on Tuesday) until something infested the place. He's either going to take a loss on the place, listing it lower since it needs a LOT of work, or he's going to have to dump a good amount into it. Things like replacing the windows (half won't stay open, one will close both parts of the window if you unlock it), siding repair, roof work (probably needs a new one), etc... There's a finished room in the basement where half the outlets simply don't work. Again, he doesn't think this is an issue.

To be honest, I really don't trust his judgement. IF I was told who was coming, I would have vetted them myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Im sorry, I just can't get over the retardation of your thread.

No one demanded you post in here. If you don't understand, then bugger off and move on...

So the gun safe in the bedroom, within FEET of where the attic access is won't be any clue to them at all... You must live in MA... [rolleyes]

I'm not really sure what you're going for. Intimidation factor? D-measuring contest? Legitimate concerns? You posted the poll, so here are my solicited thoughts.

1. You're concerned that a guy that you don't know is going to be in your house.
2. You think he could potentially have bad intentions re: you're gun collection. [Which we don't know if it's obvious and out in the open in your room yet]
3. You're going to guarantee that he knows you own guns now.
4. Open carrying is giving you what again? A speed advantage in taking him out? Does it have any retention? What's to stop him from hosing you with bugspray in the face and taking it?

meh... who cares. FREEDOM!!!!!

edit: guess we know it's out in open now.

Why don't you claymore the safe just to be...safe. Do you always post a poll to determine your loadout when meeting new people? [rolleyes]

I wouldn't open carry. He shouldn't know you have guns. What happens if his "other" job includes return visits to households he services? Now the likelihood is that he's just a normal guy. But, if it were me, I would carry concealed (which I do every second I'm not sleeping anyways) and if you need it, it's ready. If you don't, he's none the wiser. Plus, what's to stop him from telling other people about his experience. The people he may talk to might find your house angreat target. Just my 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to give you a little idea, but please don't tell anyone because I was taught this in spy school.Step one get a blanket that is not see threw,step two cover safe,step three put something on top of safe like a box,and step four remember where safe is.One very important thing to remember when your open carrying,don't forget to tuck,and roll.

my plumber was OCing a S&W snubbie .357......
while he was under the sink working with both hands, i was wondering how long it would take him to react to me grabbing it off his waist......

he's a friend of the family though, so as a homeowner, i didn't want to jeopardize discounted work ;)

images

the OP is thinking too hard.
let the bug man do his job.
there is no need to scare him by OC.
he is already coming into a strangers home....personally if i saw you OC in your house i would leave.

sometimes in life there is this thing called faith, which IMO means "believe without proof"....occasionally it behooves me to have just a little faith that someone isn't going to hurt me. this is one of those cases my friend.

from a purely selfish perspective, i'm pretty sure he could claim you brandished a firearm. the last thing you want is for an ANTI to be able to accurate describe a firearm you actually own. perhaps your PD is cool with it, but i would up the creek with my PD on that one (gets back to the absurd suitability clause)

I think the contractor probably just wants to do the job and be on his way. He's not going to threaten you with imminent grave harm. Your hollow point 45s will probably nosedive or 3-point jam in your 2011 anyways. Don't you have a Glock you can use?

Not so much a question, since my 1911 double stack is already on my hip, with a full mag, and my spare mag is on my weak side...

[laugh2]

What color shoe laces did you have?

You have to come on a public forum to ask if you should do this or that???

[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom