Open Carry v Concealed Carry - Legal / permit

DISCLAIMER: This thread is NOT meant to be a discussion about on which way those of us carry when in public. Personally I believe that’s a decision that can only be made by the person who carries their firearm, and the legality of each based on the location that they choose to carry. So please this thread is NOT mean to discuss the pros and cons of OC v CC other then from a purely legal / permit stand point.
My observations also clearly show the hypocrisy and lack of logic by many states.

It is interesting to note that in 30 states it is legal to Open Carry without a Permit/License. However in only 16 states is it legal to Conceal Carry without a Permit/License. It is also interesting to note that in all 16 states where CC is legal without a permit, OC is also legal without a permit.

It is also interesting to note that 5 states and one city (Washington DC) do NOT allow OC even with a permit.

Now IMHO it seems to me that the majority of society is much more at ease and is ok with a person OC a firearm without training and background check then they are of allowing someone to conceal. Except for 5 weird states.

It is interesting to note that in many forums, as well as many articles written by many pro-gun owners, that many prefer to conceal carry full time, or at least the majority of the time.

One state Delaware, is very strange when it comes to having people carrying handguns. They allow any law abiding citizen to OC without a permit. However if you wish to conceal carry as a resident or non-resident a permit/license, is very difficult to obtain. While easier then NYC, NJ, MD, MA. It is still not an easy task. To top it off Delaware will recognize permits/licenses issued from a few other states. Such as Texas has reciprocity with Delaware. I have a friend in Delaware, couldn’t get a permit from Delaware, but got one from Texas, so in his home state he OC’d till he got his Texas license. When I soon receive my permits/licenses from 5 of the other 9 licenses I have applied for. I will have 4 that Delaware will recognize.

So legally speaking.... if you OC there are probably more states that you can legally carry in then you can even with your state License/permit carrying Concealed.

One other example. Oregon. Will not recognize any other states license/permit. If your not a resident, military, or own a business in Oregon, or not from a boarding state. You also can’t get a non-resident license/permit. Thus even though soon I will have a permit/license from a total of 9 different states. I won’t be able to carry in Oregon unless I OC.

Washington state won’t recognize Texas, but Washington does allow OC without a permit, although while they won’t recognize my Texas LTC, they will recognize my Non-resident Utah LTC.

So if your not someone totally against OC, and your current state LTC/CCL isn’t recognized. You may get lucky and be able to take advantage of OC without a permit!

For those curious as to why I spent the time, and money and effort to obtain 9 LTC/CCL’s from 9 different states... the answer is two fold.
1. One is my home state, and 4 of the remaining CCL/LTC’s give me the legal capability to carry in their state plus 2 others with reciprocity, because those 6 states don’t recognize Texas LTC.
2. The other 4 LTC/CCL’s give me a level of redundancy should another state, or even their own change or eliminate reciprocity with another state. Reciprocity between states changes yearly sometimes, and we never know what each state could do. So I maintain redundancy in my state issued LTC’s/CCL’s.

Last edited:
Your Delaware resident friend cannot legally carry a firearm in Delaware on a Texas permit.

You said:
One state Delaware, is very strange when it comes to having people carrying handguns. They allow any law abiding citizen to OC without a permit. However if you wish to conceal carry as a resident or non-resident a permit/license, is very difficult to obtain. While easier then NYC, NJ, MD, MA. It is still not an easy task. To top it off Delaware will recognize permits/licenses issued from a few other states. Such as Texas has reciprocity with Delaware. I have a friend in Delaware, couldn’t get a permit from Delaware, but got one from Texas, so in his home state he OC’d till he got his Texas license.

The state of Delaware says:
A Delaware resident desiring to carry a concealed deadly weapon in this state must have a Delaware license to do so. A Delaware resident is someone who carries or is required to have a Delaware driver’s license and/or is registered to vote in Delaware.
Source: Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons (CCDW) - Delaware Department of Justice - State of Delaware

Side note - of the "multi-state" permits, Delaware recognizes Florida and Utah.

Florida is a no open carry state, in addition to no firearms in bars.

Doesn't Florida have a weird law, where you can open carry while hunting or fishing? There's a blogger in Florida I read regularly who writes about going to open carry "protests" which are guys open carrying while fishing.

Blah, blah, blah, blah... this thread would be more appropriate fodder for a Friday night, ...say about 9:25pm. I’ll check back in with you then. Thanks.

OP: you name isn’t Frank by any chance, is it? We have a lot of Frank’s on here, that’s all... just curious.

What do you mean much more at ease LOL? Your proposition makes no sense how would they be uneasy about guns they can't see?

I believe the thing you're actually referring to is the faggotry that's embedded in the laws. Many moons ago, there was retard logic that basically said that "anyone who is concealing a gun was up to no good. " The same type of retards/karens also thought that automatic knives were bad and that anybody carrying an automatic knife "was up to no good" because of some bullshit they saw in a Broadway play 100 years ago where all the bad guys had switchblades... basically all of those kind of laws are the products of people who engaged in way too much mental masturbation. Basically that kind of garbage in the law is very similar to the garbage that was used to conduct the Salem Witch Trials etc.... hysteria and panic does not belong embedded in law.

RI is strange, in that the AG flavor permit allows open carry but a tow/city issued one does not. But, for residents, the later and not the former bypasses the RI waiting period.

Your Delaware resident friend cannot legally carry a firearm in Delaware on a Texas permit.

You said:
One state Delaware, is very strange when it comes to having people carrying handguns. They allow any law abiding citizen to OC without a permit. However if you wish to conceal carry as a resident or non-resident a permit/license, is very difficult to obtain. While easier then NYC, NJ, MD, MA. It is still not an easy task. To top it off Delaware will recognize permits/licenses issued from a few other states. Such as Texas has reciprocity with Delaware. I have a friend in Delaware, couldn’t get a permit from Delaware, but got one from Texas, so in his home state he OC’d till he got his Texas license.

A Delaware resident desiring to carry a concealed deadly weapon in this state must have a Delaware license to do so. A Delaware resident is someone who carries or is required to have a Delaware driver’s license and/or is registered to vote in Delaware.
Source: Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons (CCDW) - Delaware Department of Justice - State of Delaware

Delaware also recognizes an Arizona non resident permit and it is cheaper than Florada non resident.

One other example. Oregon. Will not recognize any other states license/permit. If your not a resident, military, or own a business in Oregon, or not from a boarding state. You also can’t get a non-resident license/permit. Thus even though soon I will have a permit/license from a total of 9 different states. I won’t be able to carry in Oregon unless I OC.
Illinois is even weirder. They won't recognize any other state's license, and won't issue NR except to residents of a couple of states, the list of which changes every so often.

OTOH, a non-resident, legal to CCW in their home state and traveling across Illinois (say from Iowa to Indiana) can carry concealed in their vehicle.

What do you mean much more at ease LOL? Your proposition makes no sense how would they be uneasy about guns they can't see?

I believe the thing you're actually referring to is the faggotry that's embedded in the laws. Many moons ago, there was retard logic that basically said that "anyone who is concealing a gun was up to no good. " The same type of retards/karens also thought that automatic knives were bad and that anybody carrying an automatic knife "was up to no good" because of some bullshit they saw in a Broadway play 100 years ago where all the bad guys had switchblades... basically all of those kind of laws are the products of people who engaged in way too much mental masturbation. Basically that kind of garbage in the law is very similar to the garbage that was used to conduct the Salem Witch Trials etc.... hysteria and panic does not belong embedded in law.
And I would add all the BS surrounding silencers (or as the Brits call them “sound moderators”).

And I would add all the BS surrounding silencers (or as the Brits call them “sound moderators”).

I'd have to do some more research but most of that lunacy started around the depression era, the BS used to justify suppressor bans/restrictions/add to NFA in some circles was that "poachers would use them to take game illegally" but im sure the fag nostrum of "criminals will assasinate people with them" shows up from time to time too.....

So how does all that compare to the Utah non-resident lic?

There are 18 states that will not recognize a non-resident Utah license. Washington state will recognize Utah NR License but not Texas. All other states either will not recognize both Utah and Texas, or they recognize both. Washington does not recognize Illinois, Arizona, CT, NH, Maine, Fl, AZ. However once I get my ND, Washington will recognize them too.

The hardest part of getting a Utah LTC, is finding someone to teach you their training course which does NOT require live fire. If your state has reciprocity with Utah, then you must have your resident state LTC. If it doesn’t (such as Vermont, or Maine, then you don’t) other then that, getting a Utah license is easy. It also gives a few more states reciprocity that a Arizona, or Florida LTC gives. It also gives a few more states then you get with a CT, Maine, or NH license.

It is legal in Utah to OC without a permit or license provided the weapon requires 2 actions to fire. Manual Safety’s don’t count as an action.

Example.. Single Action revolvers. Action 1, cocking the hammer. Action 2 pulling the trigger. Double action revolvers must have an empty round in the cylinder so that it requires two trigger pulls to fire a round.

Example... Semi Auto, Action 1 racking the slide and loading a round, Action 2 pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
In Massachusetts, while attention whore carrying is legal for those with an unrestricted LTC, go ahead and try it in say... Cambridge.

Being that it’s Mass. I’m not the least bit surprised sadly. It maybe legal with a permit, but they don’t want it to be or they freak out.

You said:

Thanks for pointing that out, I missed that. I don’t know if he has a TX DL/ID he uses to cover himself or not. I know last year though his vehicle still had Texas plates. So who knows! That’s on him though. Sucks to be a resident from Delaware, if you can get a permit, yet out of state people can easily CC!

Florida is a no open carry state, in addition to no firearms in bars.

Yep it’s one of those 5 states that don’t like it, but they are a state that makes it very easy to get a CCP even for non-residents.

Young v Hawaii, or the Nichols case may soon require FL to change their OC laws if we get lucky in the next who knows how long. Lol

Blah, blah, blah, blah... this thread would be more appropriate fodder for a Friday night, ...say about 9:25pm. I’ll check back in with you then. Thanks.

OP: you name isn’t Frank by any chance, is it? We have a lot of Frank’s on here, that’s all... just curious.

Just legal / permit banter around what is legal or not. I didn’t want this thread to get into the typical debate on the pros and cons of each type of carry.

No my name isn’t frank. Lol

I couldn’t agree more!

Most of us who wish to carry prefer to carry concealed whenever possible, some not at all if they can’t carry concealed.

Sadly though in some states unless you have a permit/license if you want to carry you have to OC. Even with a permit/license, sometimes if you want to legally carry, you have to OC. Oregon being the example. They won’t recognize any of my 9 licenses/permits. So when I go to Oregon if I wish to carry, I must OC. For some crazy reason the libtards there would prefer for me to OC the. Recognize any one of my 9 permits, or allow me to apply for a NR LTC. Lol go figure!

Illinois is even weirder. They won't recognize any other state's license, and won't issue NR except to residents of a couple of states, the list of which changes every so often.

OTOH, a non-resident, legal to CCW in their home state and traveling across Illinois (say from Iowa to Indiana) can carry concealed in their vehicle.

If you are a resident of one of 5 states, and have a resident license from your home state, you can apply for a Non-Resident IL license to carry. Texas is one of those 5 states. So with my Texas LTC, I was allowed to apply for and receive a Illinois CCL. Once I received that license, I was also allowed to carry OC or CC in Minnesota. Minnesota won’t recognize any of my other licenses/permits other the ND.

Illinois for the purpose of Vehicle Carry (Loaded, within reach, but concealed in the vehicle or on your person) will recognize a Texas LTC.

I'd have to do some more research but most of that lunacy started around the depression era, the BS used to justify suppressor bans/restrictions/add to NFA in some circles was that "poachers would use them to take game illegally" but im sure the fag nostrum of "criminals will assasinate people with them" shows up from time to time too.....

I have come across my fare share Democrats, libtards etc that still think silencers work like you see on TV or in the movies too, and thus think every criminal would use one! I have two, and while they are nice. It’s not something that criminals are going to mess with for small crimes. To cumbersome.

The only criminals I believe would use silencers, are for truly “mafia” level organized crime, political state crimes (spies), and like you said poachers. Your common everyday criminal won’t mess with the hassle. Even when they are stolen!

I see where you're going, but unfortunately around big dump cities and especially all the pearl-clutching yentas in the northeast, would cause nothing but problems

Well that’s kinda what I was pointing out. You have a state like Florida extremely easy to get a CCL, but doesn’t allow OC. A state like Delaware that is extremely hard to get a CCL, but allows permitless OC. As well as Oregon. Easy for residents to get a CCL. But if your out of state forget it, They would prefer you to OC then collect money and do a back ground check and CC.

Even here in Dallas Texas, if you OC you can get dirty looks. One time I was OC, and someone called a cop on me in the store. The cop came by, checked my LTC, told me to have a nice day. And then went and informed the caller to stop wasting LEO’s time with these calls. Apparently she had called multiple times on people who have been CC and OC. Normally I don’t OC, however there are times that I do simply out of convenience. I mostly carry for SD from animals, not humans. Although I admit that day in the store I was in, all the animals in that store were already dead. Lol

"...open carry is regarded as a Right, and though any citizen may call the police if they observe someone carrying a gun openly, that citizen's 'annoyance and alarm' does not override the Right to carry openly."​

I see where you're going, but unfortunately around big dump cities and especially all the pearl-clutching yentas in the northeast, would cause nothing but problems
I've seen folk open carrying in urban New Hampshire (e.g. Manchester) without "problems", other than perhaps being politely asked to leave by private businesses valuing the patronage of pearl-clutching yentas. I generally only OC out in the woods, for example at this time of year because it's easier to carry a bear-rated gun that way.

Back
Top Bottom