• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Carry Texas Style

I'm surprised nobody has referred to the Whammy Burger scene in Falling Down

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else find it ironic that Mass had a system to allow concealed carry long before Texas did.

MA had concealed carry before a lot of states, including FL which was considered a break through in 1987 when it became legal down there. The anti gun sentiment in MA really started in the mid 1970s, but didn't get traction until 1989 when the dumped the new laws on us.

Off the top of my head, TX, OH, WI, IA, and others I can't think of were late to the CCW game. Other states changed or loosened their requirements over the years as well.

- - - Updated - - -

You're not "up north" enough, because up here, it's far simpler than Texas, vastly cheaper, and also guaranteed.

I've lived in NH and traveled quite a bit in TX. On balance, even with their CCW rules, I'll take Texas.

These guys are dopes. One of these days one of them is going to catch a bullet.

Eh, they may be dopes in your opinion, and Yeager is certainly a loud mouth, but they both have loads of training and practical experience. I just agree with them that open carrying offers pretty much zero advantages and lots of disadvantages. That said, I think one should be free to choose open vs. concealed carry for themselves. To each his own.

One thing that the messed up state of MA could do would be to at least amend our laws so that if someone breaks concealment on accident (bending over, reaching up, wind blows jacket open, etc.), that they are not criminals. That is just nonsense.

I'm in Dallas now - just came back from the huge Bass Pro across from the Grapevine Hilton. Sign says please check guns at front desk - but nobody is asking, like at a Gun Show. I handled more firearms in an hour than I have in my life thus far. The guys behind the counter just wanted me to check everything out, even knowing I was from NH.

Maybe when I said "If I wasn't from NH, I'd like to be from Texas", they took a shine to me...

Ya know, the whole discussion about having permits for this or that is kinda moot because in reality, these conversations shouldn't even be happening. VT and AK do not have ANY PERMITS and open carry is just fine there just like NH (which is debating about discontinuing the permit process entirely.) So, who had what when is splitting hairs. I'd much rather not have to worry about "qualifying" for something that is supposed to be guaranteed to me in the first place.

Just 'sayin.

Rome

I'm in Dallas now - just came back from the huge Bass Pro across from the Grapevine Hilton. Sign says please check guns at front desk - but nobody is asking, like at a Gun Show. I handled more firearms in an hour than I have in my life thus far. The guys behind the counter just wanted me to check everything out, even knowing I was from NH.

Maybe when I said "If I wasn't from NH, I'd like to be from Texas", they took a shine to me...

I am at that Bass Pro these days once a month or so. They do NOT want your CCW checked at the door. They have gunsmithing services and do not want you to walk in with your service gun w/o first checking it at the door to be tagged, etc like any other "return" item. I know this because I asked about the sign. The "girl" said don't be silly, we dont want your guns...

There is no such law in MA. Massprudence says don't open carry, but it's not a law.

The problem is in MA you can't carry a long gun on a public way legally unless you're in a parade or some bullshit. So the moment you cross a street or step on a sidewalk you're done for.

ETA: Kevlar beat me to it but my post is the condensed version... [rofl]

-Mike

The problem is in MA you can't carry a long gun on a public way legally unless you're in a parade or some bullshit. So the moment you cross a street or step on a sidewalk you're done for.

I remember when the Tall Ships came to Boston, they had some crewman from a foreign vessel carrying rifles in some kind of parade on the Common by the State House.
I'm sure not a single one of them had as much as a Mass FID card, while a flintlock from the Revolutionary War hung inside the State House a few feet away with a trigger lock on it.
Funny how foreigners are exempt from our laws.

Back
Top Bottom