• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open carry on one's own property

While I realize that there are no laws against open carry in M-ass-achusetts, getting caught in public with your gun hanging out in plain view could spell trouble.

Would this also apply to carrying around one's own property? [thinking]

I am sorry if this has already been asked. I tried to search the forums but after going back a couple of years, I could not find any pertinent info.

why wouldnt you be allowed to open carry on your OWN freakin property????

nah sorry... I dont buy that. Its your own property. What is the difference of having your weapon in your living room or on your backyard? Its on your property either way and it has to be legal..... step off your property and ok I guess I can see but not on your own property.... that would not even make sence for MA lawmakers...

Perfectly legal in NJ on one's resident or place of business. Open or concealed. Don't see why it would not be legal in Mass., at least at your residence.

What if your neighbor see it and feels threatened?

I bet it would be like brandishing.

Especially if you were out mowing the lawn with it open. Or, having a BBQ on your deck with it open.

This is a question for the Legal Eagles.

I know that in towns west like Amherst, MA, the American flag was found to be threatening and the town meeting had to remove it. [rofl]

I bet it would be like brandishing.

Especially if you were out mowing the lawn with it open. Or, having a BBQ on your deck with it open.

This is a question for the Legal Eagles.

I know that in towns west like Amherst, MA, the American flag was found to be threatening and the town meeting had to remove it. [rofl]

The reaction of you neighbors and or the police does not constitute legality.

It is legal and it is your property so do what you want. If you feel it is not worth the hassle you may receive then don’t do it. I for one live in a townhouse with my neighbor’s houses attached to mine so no I do not open carry but it is not b/c I am afraid of the reaction I might get but b/c I feel there is no need to give away my secret.[wink]

Thanks everyone.

I asked this question mainly because I just got a German Shepherd puppy and I am going through the pains of house training her. Since I tend to carry around the house, I would hate to have to disarm every time she needed to go out.

IANAL

But from what I believe, it is legal.

Heck, many times I clean my guns on the back porch simply because I like being outside, it keeps the cleaning stuff smell outside and the mess as well.

Now, I have one neighbor that could see me (not that I think he would ever care) and my back yard touches a parking lot.

I look at it as it is my yard (privite property) and they are of course un loaded and no ammo anywhere near them.

As far as carrying in the yard... never felt the need to, but i should be able to if I wanted I would guess.

Although, I would really love to hear from one of our legal guys on this.

I know that in towns west like Amherst, MA, the American flag was found to be threatening and the town meeting had to remove it.

wow!!! American Flag threatening????

ok pack up and move to Iraq and live in Baghdad..... I am sure after about 1 hour the American Flag wont be so threatening anymore and they will be ready to come home and embrace it with open arms.....

man that bugs me.....[angry]

yeah... I don't think I'll be trying that... my next door neighbors are an elementary school and a middle/high-school.

A friend of mine has a saying: "let's not break into jail"

Per MGLs, Open carry on one's property doesn't seem to be any
different than it would be if it was concealed, since the law doesn't
appear to delineate the two, at least in the case of an unrestricted
LTC-A. (I'm not sure offhand if LTC-Bs and other neutered permits
are allowed to carry on their own property, though).

Open carry in your own yard, however, means that mary hairnet
might get upset and whine on you to the police; and then
something bad might happen from that.... I would imagine,
however, that those responding, if reasonable, would be more likely
to be less of a pain in the ass given that it's your own property.
I doubt you would be arrested in most cases, unless your "yard"
is in roxbury or murderpan. [laugh] IANAL, but in most cases
the max "punishment" would be administrative. (eg, loss or suspension
of LTC) if the issuing authority is an anti. On the other hand
if you're friendly with the LEOs in your town, they might just tell
her to FOAD. IMO I'd never do it unless I knew ahead of time
what the LE response was going to be in your area, just from a
pragmatic standpoint.

-Mike

This is MA, the law doesn't matter, only how loud the sheeple cry when they see you.

Then the CLEO will think you’re unsuitable and if you lucky only deny you on your LTC renewal, if not take it away out right.

Really, anything that brings the cops to your house is going to work against you.

This is MA, the law doesn't matter, only how loud the sheeple cry when they see you.

Then the CLEO will think you’re unsuitable and if you lucky only deny you on your LTC renewal, if not take it away out right.

Really, anything that brings the cops to your house is going to work against you.

Sometimes I am just so happy that I live in a western MA "green" town. I don't know how you guys live with the constant fear of the local police taking your rights away.

Mary Hairnet explained....

Man who is this "mary hairnet" and what harm did she do to you? You show much anger towards her.[wink]

"Mary Hairnet" is a character from one of the "Notes Administrator"
comic writeups I think... A story about a Lotus Notes admin with
a lot of audacity... eg:

1:20 P.M. Mary Hairnet from cafeteria calls. Says she keeps getting calls for "Notice Loads" or "NoLoad Goats," she's not sure, couldn't hear over industrial-grade blender. Tell her it was probably "Lettuce Nodes." Maybe the food distributor with a new product? She thinks about it and hangs up.

For whatever reason, though, which escapes me, I think of Mrs.
Hairnet as being equivalent to "Mrs. Kravitz" types or any other
busybody type lady in the neighborhood who is always stirring up
shit or gossip. These people (typically women, but sometimes
men) have nothing better to do than to insert themselves into
others business or make trouble that that didn't exist, or create
situations that are often "much to do about nothing". Often
times they are just a pain in the ass to deal with. When I was
younger and dumber, I think what typified "Mary Hairnet" for me
was a job I had growing up.... I mowed this lady's lawn for $5 an
hour, and while I called her "the 5 dollar lady" (she always
grumbled and then made some noise about how the kids at market
basket make about that much, which IMO even at the time was
BS- I usually got more money for a typical lawn but I was hard up
for cash ) She always was whining about her neighbors, too
(eg, what they were doing, or didn't do) and the city's non
maintenance of the "burm" around her property. (basically it was a
POS asphalt curb section that probably would never be there in
normal circumstances, and the plow wrecks it every year and she
whines until they come along and fix it. )

And that, my friends, is what a "Mary Hairnet" is. [laugh]

-Mike

I carry when I weed wack, when I mow the lawn, anytime I'm outside. I'm in the woods w/ one neighbor. If someone stops by while walking by I will put my shirt over it but belive it or not you are more vunerable for attack on your own property then you are in public. Whether it be from an animal or a an a**h*** thug you have a right to protect yourself on your own property. As long as its holstered and your not holding a beer and brandishing you are protecting your dwelling. No offense to anyone on this sight, but who are you gonna call the cops? I live 15 minutes from the police dept. in the woods I am much better protecting myself then waiting for them to show up. Most violent crimes take place whithin an eye blink, and if Im outside w/ my two young girls and wife and the shit hits the fan I know they have protection and if the cops want to fine me $50 for carrying open I'll give'em cash.

I agree with what you said.

The problem lies in the fact that the chief holds your fate of your license in his hand and you do not have much recourse if an anti chief finds you to be "unfit" even though you meet the legal reqs.

This is not so much a question of legallity, but of perception and the interpretation from the chief.

So you may be able to Legally do it... but piss off the chief and you lose it...

Or he may drop you to an FID....

***For the record, I'm not endorsing or wanting to practice Open Carry in public.***

Does anyone here know of examples of Open Carry getting people in trouble in this state? Has anyone here done it and gotten in trouble, or not had issues? I remember reading about that guy with the Open Carry videos from NH, but it's an issue that I haven't heard about down here.

Case law or anecdotes anyone?

GSG,

There is an old story here about a guy named Joe who had his jacket blow open as he was carrying a pizza out of a Dedham pizza shop (Dedham Square with PD across the street). A Dedham PO saw him and the chief revoked his LTC as "unsuitable". IIRC, he fought the battle in court for >4 years and only got his LTC back (not certain, but maybe restricted so he can no longer carry) recently after said chief retired. It was a "negotiated settlement" with the PD and not a court-ordered result IIRC.

Perhaps (not certain) an Advanced Search using "pizza" and "Dedham" might turn up the thread.

IANAL but this is a "legal yes,advisable no" As others have stated why risk having your LTC being suspended/revoked? Considering that Ma is hostile to anyone other than LEOs who wish to own firearms why give them any more ammo to pass more useless laws

I certainly have to agree that it is legal but not advisable. My understanding is that there is nothing in the law that prevents open carry at all. They can't charge you with anything but they can take your license and all your guns for any (or no) reason. All my neighbors must realize I have guns from the fact that I'm constantly lugging my rifle cases to the car to go to the range. When I'm struggling with a couple hard cases and my range bag filled up with about 40 pounds of ammo and a bunch of plastic jugs for targets they just wave and say "hi".

Even though I live in a GREEN town, I will take your advice and not open carry. It is too bad, although I do agree...why take chances?

I will just have to stock up with a large number of "suitable" shirts.

How pathetic is it when you choose not to do something that is completely legal on your own property b/c you are afraid the state will screw you? Doesn't sound like democracy to me.

Maybe tonight is the night I hit the lotto and get the hell out of here.[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom