• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Carry on a WMA - Sporting Restriction

Probably already covered...

I have an LTC with a "Sporting" restriction (whatever the 'eff that means.)

I was scouting a WMA for pheasant with my very young Brittany today. Ran into a neighbor, who told me the local coyotes treat the stocking truck like a Food Truck visit. Looks legal to me, the way I read the state laws.

I'm planning on going back a few times before the season begins. I'd like to (openly) carry a .22, in case I run into Wile E, and have to protect my dog.

Is it legal for me to openly carry on a WMA, out of season, with a restricted LTC?

Restrictions are no longer a thing, after the Bruen decision. If you are carrying in a WMA out of season and run into an Environmental Police Officer, he is likely to cite you for hunting out of season. If you are going to do so, I would HIGHLY suggest that you carry concealed.

Restrictions are no longer a thing, after the Bruen decision. If you are carrying in a WMA out of season and run into an Environmental Police Officer, he is likely to cite you for hunting out of season. If you are going to do so, I would HIGHLY suggest that you carry concealed.
Isn't this also a problem during season?

Isn't this also a problem during season?
OP....restrictions are no longer a thing in MA after the Supreme Court decision. All restricted licenses are null and void. Conceal carry at will.

While hunting in MA, you cannot conceal or open carry a handgun in any season that I know of, with the exception of maybe Bear season, where the handgun is your primary weapon. I dont have the cite...but its in the hunting regs somewhere.

That said.....with the exception of when Im bowhunting. Im carrying a shotgun anyway, either for birds or deer, or a .22 rifle for squirrel.

While walking my dog anywhere when NOT hunting year round, I carry .......that includes a WMA.

That said.....its absolute bullshit that MA Fags and Wanks game laws have no regard for anyone's personal protection during bowhunting season.

When I'm bowhunting 90% of the hunts I'm either walking in or out in the dark and sometimes coyotes are howling all around me. I carry a large can of bear spray in my pack.

Last edited:
There are several prohibitions listed in the Hunting and Fishing Abstracts. Keep in mind that these aren’t the actual letter of the law. Just a published interpretation and “any“ crime with a gun can impact your LTC.

Bob

Possession of rifles and handguns on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant and quail season.

During the shotgun deer season, pos- session of rifles, handguns, or dogs in any woodland or field, or use of same on any game, is prohibited. The use of dogs is lawful for hunting waterfowl on coastal waters.

Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber long rifle, and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber, be- tween the hours of 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/2022-massachusetts-fishing-and-hunting-guide/download

I've personally witnessed a guy come out of the pheasant fields with just a handgun because he was "scouting deer stand locations" to be greeted by a pretty pissed off EPO. I left while he was getting a pretty stern talking to about carrying a handgun and I don't know what happened to him after.

There are several prohibitions listed in the Hunting and Fishing Abstracts. Keep in mind that these aren’t the actual letter of the law. Just a published interpretation and “any“ crime with a gun can impact your LTC.

Bob

Possession of rifles and handguns on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant and quail season.

During the shotgun deer season, pos- session of rifles, handguns, or dogs in any woodland or field, or use of same on any game, is prohibited. The use of dogs is lawful for hunting waterfowl on coastal waters.

Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber long rifle, and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber, be- tween the hours of 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/2022-massachusetts-fishing-and-hunting-guide/download
I love the last one......one fishcop in my son's hunting class called it the " night rifle ban". Said you can never have a rifle larger than .22 in your car at night or he can write you up as evidence of poaching. Glad that f***ing douche is now retired.

I talked to the younger warden at lunch at the same class....and he was like.....don't listen to that dipshit!

There in lies the problem.....two fishcops interpret the law totally differrently.

I've personally witnessed a guy come out of the pheasant fields with just a handgun because he was "scouting deer stand locations" to be greeted by a pretty pissed off EPO. I left while he was getting a pretty stern talking to about carrying a handgun and I don't know what happened to him after.
Conceal carry....problem solved for a lot of this shit.

Also don't hunt WMA's.....I hunt mostly private land in this state for deer and in 35 years have NEVER seen a fishcop in deer season.

Birds...yeah....like once every 2 years I run into him, usually while bullshitting with some other bird hunter at Barre Falls Dam, he asks to show him my license on the phone and that's all he wants to see.

The guy in my area isn't too bad, but I could see him being a little touchy on a bad day maybe....but Ill never see him on private land or my club.

I love the last one......one fishcop in my son's hunting class called it the " night rifle ban". Said you can never have a rifle larger than .22 in your car at night or he can write you up as evidence of poaching. Glad that f***ing douche is now retired.

I talked to the younger warden at lunch at the same class....and he was like.....don't listen to that dipshit!

There in lies the problem.....two fishcops interpret the law totally differrently.

There are enough laws on the books these days that everyone is guilty of something. The best thing to do is to keep law enforcement out of your life.

This reg is on it's way out. It's been approved by the Fish & Wildlife Board, just waiting on the the higher-ups in the Secretariat to finalize it. Should be in effect for 2023. It would allow things like rifles for bearhunting during the second season.

It’s also the ban on carrying a 40 caliber pistol at night, I’m surprised he didn’t mention that part of the “night rifle ban”. I guess the difference is half of NES doesn’t mind a 40 ban. 🤣

OP....restrictions are no longer a thing in MA after the Supreme Court decision. All restricted licenses are null and void. Conceal carry at will.

While hunting in MA, you cannot conceal or open carry a handgun in any season that I know of, with the exception of maybe Bear season, where the handgun is your primary weapon. I dont have the cite...but its in the hunting regs somewhere.

That said.....with the exception of when Im bowhunting. Im carrying a shotgun anyway, either for birds or deer, or a .22 rifle for squirrel.

While walking my dog anywhere when NOT hunting year round, I carry .......that includes a WMA.

That said.....its absolute bullshit that MA Fags and Wanks game laws have no regard for anyone's personal protection during bowhunting season.

When I'm bowhunting 90% of the hunts I'm either walking in or out in the dark and sometimes coyotes are howling all around me. I carry a large can of bear spray in my pack.
In zones 1 to 9 handguns can be used to hunt squirrel. Also handguns can be used on rabbit.

However......the one restriction on wma to be mindful of on wma is that if the wma is stocked with pheasant even in zone 1 to 9 its shotgun or archery only during the open season on pheasant.

I've hunted squirrel many times in zone 9 with a 22 handgun on wma that is not stocked with pheasant. Legal as far as my research.

It’s also the ban on carrying a 40 caliber pistol at night, I’m surprised he didn’t mention that part of the “night rifle ban”. I guess the difference is half of NES doesn’t mind a 40 ban. 🤣
Technically the law on that reads nothing above a .38 caliber where mammals can be found or some retarded bullshit. That could be taken as you can't carry anything above a .38 anywhere technically.

Ive gone to ignoring most of the stupid shit that doesn't make sense.

Like Bob said there are so many little game laws you can get tripped up by farting in the wrong direction. Best thing is don't hunt state land in any deer season and you probably won't see a fishcop.

In bird season, just make sure your shits in order, and don't hang around talking......because honestly that's the only time ive gotten hit up for a check.

Walking my dog.....ive never seen an EPO and I walk my dog 4 miles on a WMA nearly every day.

Last edited:
I remember one time I was hunting on a WMA, probably 20 years ago. It was just after dusk as I walked back to my car with my shotgun unloaded. I wasn’t surprised to see an EPO in the parking area. There was another hunter there and the EPO went over to him. I heard the EPO ask the guy for his hunting license and FID. The guy made up some excuse for why he had neither with him. I couldn’t hear the rest of the conversation, but it was clearly going to be a long one. As I was just about packed up to leave, the EPO excused himself temporarily from that fellow and came over to check my hunting license and LTC. He seemed almost relieved that I had both — he took a quick glance at mine, said thanks, and went back to deal with the other guy. I figured that other guy was going to have a real bad night.

I have an LTC with a "Sporting" restriction (whatever the 'eff that means.)
Is it legal for me to openly carry on a WMA, out of season, with a restricted LTC?

It means NOTHING any more. All restrictions are gone.

That said, all other laws still apply. Just not restrictions any longer.

? How would u use a pistol for coyote then , you either holster it or have to walk with it in hand

I believe you are correct but I don’t recall the specifics of that law / regulation.

I got stopped last Saturday well past the 30 min after sunset , carrying a CZ bren 2 unloaded , i just told him i unloaded at the specific time and walked back from coyote , no issues . he knew the regs so that was good , might get one that doesn't know anything

First of all, there is always something "In Season" Some folks need to read the MGL Chapter 131 Section 5 before giving such erroneous advice.

Technically the law on that reads nothing above a .38 caliber where mammals can be found or some retarded bullshit. That could be taken as you can't carry anything above a .38 anywhere technically.

Ive gone to ignoring most of the stupid shit that doesn't make sense.

Like Bob said there are so many little game laws you can get tripped up by farting in the wrong direction. Best thing is don't hunt state land in any deer season and you probably won't see a fishcop.

In bird season, just make sure your shits in order, and don't hang around talking......because honestly that's the only time ive gotten hit up for a check.

Walking my dog.....ive never seen an EPO and I walk my dog 4 miles on a WMA nearly every day.
That "38 in caliber" refers to night hunting. That is one piss poor law as to the way it is written the As$holes at Fakers and Wankers are well aware of it and have done nothing about it in 40 plus years that were made aware of it. As the law is written because it only says "Caliber" it does not define the actual cartridge. Example, a 30-30 in a Thompson Center Contender is less .38 in caliber. Of course they won't fix as they are too arrogant and stupid. That goes for their 7 man board all the way down.

Last edited:
Fakers and Wankers have more "Just in Case" laws and regulations than you could imagine. Ask one of them why do they have a law that prohibits the possession of slugs or buckshot where birds and mammals might be found, except during the shotgun season on deer. Except on a Recognized range. Ask one of their idiots to show you where in their statute or regulations the definition exists for recognized range.

Back
Top Bottom