• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Carry MA Experiences

... It's like those guys on YouTube that wear a safety vest with a hard hat and walk around with a clipboard and can get into almost any building because everyone assumes they are supposed to be there. ...

Did this in college when we wanted to look around the physical plant. We got caught, told the workers we were doing a feasibility study and asked for a map of the tunnel system. We didn't get the map, but we didn't get kicked out either.

Hey, this would be good for those guys who are always looking for "bug out bags". Just add in 2x 5 gallon buckets for guns and ammo, with a drill or box of screws on top, and you're good to go. Ha ha.

Hey, this would be good for those guys who are always looking for "bug out bags". Just add in 2x 5 gallon buckets for guns and ammo, with a drill or box of screws on top, and you're good to go. Ha ha.
Back during the post-hurricane Katrina mess, a black T shirt with large block letters SECURITY printed on it were apparently sufficient to get a pass on the confiscation order. Perhaps another item for the bug-out bag.

Back during the post-hurricane Katrina mess, a black T shirt with large block letters SECURITY printed on it were apparently sufficient to get a pass on the confiscation order. Perhaps another item for the bug-out bag.

This is why people should consider an orange vest and hardhat in their kit....intentionally a little worn/scuffed.

I want to know who on here remembers when you HAD TO carry with a part of the gun exposed (I guess you'd call that "open"), because it was considered illegal and "hiding it" if you had it concealed. I remember my father doing this, and saying he always had to leave the butt sticking out if he wanted to be legal. This had to be in the 70', maybe early 80's. Anyone? I think Len was able to confirm this. Len?

ANYONE?

[
If you will carry a drill, might as well open it, remove everything that is inside and fill it with ammo. The box of screws could also be filled with ammo.

This thread got me thinking: how many of you are hunters? I’ve carried a lot of long guns openly in some pretty densely populated residential areas and have never had a run in with the police. Maybe it’s the camoflage and that the hardware is usually a little fuddy but no one has ever cared. Ever run into an open carry problem hunting with a long gun?

The only time I ever felt weird was when I took my AR out for coyote last year. We hit a couple spots which were basically islands of woods between residential neighborhoods. I was pretty worried getting ready and packing up on the side of a busy western mass street with an AR in full view.

This thread got me thinking: how many of you are hunters? I’ve carried a lot of long guns openly in some pretty densely populated residential areas and have never had a run in with the police. Maybe it’s the camoflage and that the hardware is usually a little fuddy but no one has ever cared. Ever run into an open carry problem hunting with a long gun?

The only time I ever felt weird was when I took my AR out for coyote last year. We hit a couple spots which were basically islands of woods between residential neighborhoods. I was pretty worried getting ready and packing up on the side of a busy western mass street with an AR in full view.

I totally get what your saying... if I’m in hunter orange with a more traditional shotgun... it doesn’t even illicit a response...

Some of my buddies use the most rediculious tactical shotguns.... it doesn’t bother me ,I just looks stupid.

When we go for coyote we’re so decked out with NV, ARs and rediculious gear..... I probably wouldn’t want to be seen by neighbors or whatever.....but seeing as how I’m owning the night..... no one is going to see me.

If I could just use a suppressor no one would even be aware I was there at all.

I don’t really consider carrying a long gun as OC, because there isn’t real a CC option.

I used to worry about my hunting long guns when I was hunting and parked roadside and walked in the woods. Once I walked 1/4 mile down a back road to get back to my truck with cars passing me. I unloaded the gun before I came out to the street. I don't worry about it any more. If the popo shows up.....I'm taking part in a legal activity.....bring it!!!!

Isn't it illegal to carry a gun on the street? Does it have to be unloaded, or cased, or something? I can't find the law right now.

Isn't it illegal to carry a gun on the street? Does it have to be unloaded, or cased, or something? I can't find the law right now.
Since 1998 unless part of a parade, has to be at least unloaded I think. Was another Angus McQuilken via Cheryl Jacques f-ck you to hunters.

I totally get what your saying... if I’m in hunter orange with a more traditional shotgun... it doesn’t even illicit a response...

Some of my buddies use the most rediculious tactical shotguns.... it doesn’t bother me ,I just looks stupid.

When we go for coyote we’re so decked out with NV, ARs and rediculious gear..... I probably wouldn’t want to be seen by neighbors or whatever.....but seeing as how I’m owning the night..... no one is going to see me.

If I could just use a suppressor no one would even be aware I was there at all.

I don’t really consider carrying a long gun as OC, because there isn’t real a CC option.

ARs for coyote at night you say....... Marsha and the green police would not be happy about that..

I really do all I can to avoid being seen around here, both from the keeping the secret spots secret perspective, as well pretty much being surrounded by the granola and Birkenstocks set in some areas, but early one fine AM son and law and I were on our way out from coyote hunting in a secluded part of National Seashore. Full camo, face paint, ARs, rucksacks, you get the picture. Walk out of the woody part onto the path and around the bend here's this lady walking her dog. She went some pasty white in a big hurry. Her phone calls must have fell on deaf ears though, some big "Notice- Hunting is allowed here" signs appeared in the parking lot and on the fire road the next day.

I can remember by dad open carrying a revolver in Boston when I was a kid. Probably would have been early’80’s. Nobody batted an eye.

I want to know who on here remembers when you HAD TO carry with a part of the gun exposed (I guess you'd call that "open"), because it was considered illegal and "hiding it" if you had it concealed. I remember my father doing this, and saying he always had to leave the butt sticking out if he wanted to be legal. This had to be in the 70', maybe early 80's. Anyone? I think Len was able to confirm this. Len?

I can remember by dad open carrying a revolver in Boston when I was a kid. Probably would have been early’80’s. Nobody batted an eye.
People were still buying long guns at Woolworths downtown in the 1980s and carrying them home on the MBTA. Same with Roach's & Service Merchandise in Cambridge; people walking home with shotguns over their shoulders.

I really do all I can to avoid being seen around here, both from the keeping the secret spots secret perspective, as well pretty much being surrounded by the granola and Birkenstocks set in some areas, but early one fine AM son and law and I were on our way out from coyote hunting in a secluded part of National Seashore. Full camo, face paint, ARs, rucksacks, you get the picture. Walk out of the woody part onto the path and around the bend here's this lady walking her dog. She went some pasty white in a big hurry. Her phone calls must have fell on deaf ears though, some big "Notice- Hunting is allowed here" signs appeared in the parking lot and on the fire road the next day.
Years ago I went pheasant hunting on a wma on opening day with a buddy of mine and his britony spaniel. Waking down the trail toward the field with shotguns over our shoulders. A soccer mom was walking toward us.....looked like she was out for her morning walk. She gave us the hairy eyeball on the way by. She got a few steps behind us and said "you know you can't hunt here this is a wildlife management area"! My buddy turned around and said "yup...and we are about to go manage us some wildlife.....you should read the sign in the parking lot before you leave.....and next time you come out here I suggest you wear some orange".

I was in Bravo Company, 104th INF. in Greenfield in the late 90's and we were training in a State Park I think in Conway. My squad was crossing a path and a woman riding a horse came down the path and came to a screeching halt when she saw us. We were in full camo, face paint, kevlar's, M16's and M249's, etc. She started screaming at us that we couldn't be there and we were scaring her horse. I was the Squad Leader and told her we were training and perfectly legal and if she wanted to talk to my CO I'd gladly call him on the radio.. She wasn't happy and trotted away.

I generally CC when out and about in the Commiewealth. I once got outed in the Walmart lot at Drum Hill. Got out of my car, hitched up my jeans, moonbat about 6 spots down must have seen THE GUN. While in the store I got a call from a LEO from Chelmsford asking if I was at WM. "Yup, why?" "Lady saw you with a gun, I recognized the description and plate number over the radio, so when PD shows up be nice." They arrived as I was hanging up. VERY polite, asked if I was carrying, yes, asked if I had an LTC, yes, asked to see it, here ya go... Nice little chat, no cuffs, no searches, no unholstering... Lady cop said I should probably be a little more circumspect (jeans, T-Shirt, 1911) to which I politely but firmly replied "Yeah, I probably should, but little-old-lady should mind her OWN business" which both she and her partner agreed with. It all ended with "Have a nice day" on both sides and took less than 3 minutes:)

When I ride, sometimes I wear a t-shirt. Sometimes it rides up. Sometimes I carry IWB, others OWB, sometimes SOB. Almost always full-size 1911, stainless, Grim Reaper engraved Hogue grips. NEVER do I give a f*** if I'm exposed. Frankly, I'd rather have J.Q. Dumbass give me MORE room. I've had 5 bikes, I've been hit by cars on 4 of them, ALL the cager's fault. I'm not a 1%-er, but why should I care if they think I might be? Especially if they then give me MORE room? Po-po wants to check me? Ok, I'm legal, let 'em, cost of "doing business" for me.

I was in NH recently. Stopped to get gas for a long drive, wearing the 1911 in a shoulder rig, t-shirt, baggies. Went in to the store for a coke. Dude in line said "I don't like having a gun pointed at me". Clerk didn't blink, lady in front of me in line didn't blink. I laughed and said "Then maybe you shouldn't stand behind a guy wearing one in a shoulder rig." We both laughed. I walked out, got in my truck, drove away. ZERO drama.

I work in a hospital, wear scrubs. When I get home I change into baggies and t-shirt and aforesaid shoulder rig/1911. More comfy than IWB in jeans. ANYTHING outside like riding the mower, taking down trash, getting mail, shoveling/blowing snow, even sitting on the porch with a beer, I'm OC all the time. Jacket comes out when it's below 30, not before, even blowing snow. Certainly not when my fat ass is riding a lawn tractor and it's 80+. I'm legal, I'm on my property, IDGAF. Never had the cops called, see them drive by all the time while I'm outside. They're either blind or indifferent. Either way, zero f***s given:)

All that said, I generally prefer to keep my shit, MY shit. I don't wander around town OC, but if it peeks out, TMFB. My EDC is usually the Springfield xd45 Mod.2 IWB because it pulls my jeans down less, but all things considered I prefer my 1911. Both ride in Crossbreed SuperTucks on good leather, the problem is me, not my "gear". So far, 10 years and just the single issue at Walmart. We'll see what tomorrow brings...

YMMV, you do you, I'll do me, we can agree that we're both right or wrong, depending.

I was in Bravo Company, 104th INF. in Greenfield in the late 90's and we were training in a State Park I think in Conway. My squad was crossing a path and a woman riding a horse came down the path and came to a screeching halt when she saw us. We were in full camo, face paint, kevlar's, M16's and M249's, etc. She started screaming at us that we couldn't be there and we were scaring her horse. I was the Squad Leader and told her we were training and perfectly legal and if she wanted to talk to my CO I'd gladly call him on the radio.. She wasn't happy and trotted away.

For what its worth, horses are prey animals and they know it. They will freak out over anything, and I do mean ANYTHING. She's was probably more afraid that her horse was going to spook and kill her after being surprised by all the "walking tree people". That said, I like your answer!

i'm thinkin' there's no better experience than personal experience. let us know, please.
...and Cipher was never heard from again. :emoji_astonished:

I've seen plenty of non uniform officers (maybe deputies?) wearing a side arm without people freaking out. One was definitely a security gaurd, not a cop... Either way, they all had a presence that wreaked of law enforcement though.

Was once behind a woman in the supermarket who's clothes effectivly made her open carry despite the revolver being at 6oclock IWB... The reason this was exposed is the same reason i noticed it :emoji_blush: still... No one freaked out while i was there... And it was quite exposed!

It is unlawful to carry a loaded long gun, or an uncased long gun, loaded or unloaded, on a public way, unless lawfully engaged in hunting (and some other stuff), see link:

General Law - Part IV, Title I, Chapter 269, Section 12D

So, if you're hunting, and you come to a road, and have to walk down it, make sure it's empty (no hunting within 150' of a road), and you're good to go, WRT MGLs and Hunting regs. Don't forget to wave politely to the people with the Hildebeast and Bolshie Bernie and AOC stickers! [wave]

Back
Top Bottom