1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Open Carry MA Experiences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cipher, Feb 7, 2019.

1. daekken

daekken NES Member

There was a situation, I want to say 2-3 years ago, that was recorded in a police blotter--I want to say Methuen, but I don't recall precisely.

A nosy neighbor called the police when she saw one of her neighbors in his house with a gun. The cops asked her if he was doing anything threatening with it, and she said "no." The blotter then recorded, to paraphrase, "The officer then advised the caller of her neighbor's Second Amendment rights."

Unfortunately, there's absolutely nutcases who think the mere sight of a firearm merits a call or that it's somehow prima facie evidence of malice. I guess they don't really think about how people need to clean them, inspect them, prepare them for transport, etc.

I often wonder, when out and about, how people I interact with's reaction may be different if they knew I was carrying. I was actually at a brewery once after a USPSA match and I was wearing a magpul t-shirt. The bartender asked me "what the logo was" and I replied, "oh, just a polymer company." He then said he thought it was a superhero logo of some kind.

drgrant likes this.

2. TLB

TLB

What is the significance of this part?

3. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

There isn't one, it's just printed that way in the law.... [rofl]

-Mike

4. TLB

TLB

Just when I thought I heard it all!

5. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Carry, even with an LTC, is banned on the surface of the ocean within 500ft of Logan Airport.

AHM likes this.
  6. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Apparently though if you're scuba diving down there, as long as you stay under water you can lawfully carry your handgun... [rofl]

7. Toast

Toast NES Member

But I wasn't on the surface of the ocean. I was in the hahbah!

drgrant and 10thSFFD like this.
  8. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

I’m in the “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should,” camp, especially here in MA. You may get more leeway out in Western MA, Northampton notwithstanding, but I don’t know if I’d take the chance. Like others, I’ve done it inadvertently, but I’ve corrected it as soon as I became aware.

I carry IWB if that makes any difference.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  9. MGnoob

MGnoob NES Life Member NES Member

I think a lot of people get caught up on the the idea of how OC relates to defense against 2 legged animals...

OC just can be more practical then CC.
    Often I carry for protection against domesticated or wild animals while working my land... which oviously no one will see me doing, but then you have to run out for supplies, equipment, fuel, or food..... to me it just doesn’t make sense to leave a firearm in a vehicle or what every... or change my mode of carry....
    When I carry I try and handle my firearm aslittle as possible... constantly messing with a side arm IMO leads to ND and lost or stolen firearms.. when you can just as easily go about your business OCing.... sometime you need to use your judgment and atleast half conceal it....
    In winter it’s a lot easier to conceal a full sized pistol the the summer while still haveing immediate access to it.

10. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

Totally correct and valid point.

My conversation with my chief basically this, he said open carry is legal, however we prefer you conceal, and the license covers that as well, you'd be doing me a favor not have to take calls from crybabies and scared citizens. I basically told him I like to conceal anyway, but sometimes print. He said, no big deal......

Now....I understand I don't have to do him any favors, and he works for me, and all that. Honestly he is a friend of one of my best friends who is a Chief in another town. So yes...its not a big deal to me to help him out, if he thinks that helps him out. I wouldn't want to have to deal with fruitless calls over nothing either, even though technically that is the job, I have some sympathy.

My good friend who is the Chief in another town doesn't give a hoot and will answer calls on that all day. Doesn't care. Tells people OC all you want. Its legal if you have the permit, He says most people still CC though.

Would it be better if they just told citizens open carry is legal and deal with it, and stop calling.....absolutely, but it would have to be a statewide policy, and it THAT would never happen, so it is what it is, and a mish mosh of who the fxck knows. Typical for MA

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Coyote33 likes this.
  11. BTSDOG

BTSDOG NES Member

I myself prefer Not to poke sticks in hornets nests.......

ridleyman and mike1960 like this.
  12. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

OP, if you feel strongly about OC, you should do as you feel. Never let anyone tell you what you Can and Can't do.
    We need Pioneers in the state. Who knows, maybe it will become fashionable...

[​IMG]

45collector, Cipher and M60 like this.
  13. BobR51

BobR51

Open carry in MA usually gets for shits than giggles.

14. M60

M60 NES Member

Legal is legal. Open carry if it makes you feel good and don't worry about what the dems think. They don't worry about what you think. Besides, it would do them good to get use to seeing guns being open carried. After a while, it become no big deal. That can't be bad for us.

mikelawtown likes this.
  15. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

The Black Panthers tried this when open carry of long guns was allowed in CA. The state responded by criminalizing such carry.

M1911, ridleyman and HorizontalHunter like this.
  16. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

I open carried during the Gas explosions around here for a few days and nobody cared especially all the cops from 5 towns that were working around me

CatSnoutSoup and M60 like this.
  17. 01906

01906 NES Member

Never have probably never will. But I would check with your local police chief before doing so.

18. rudiewhitebwoy

rudiewhitebwoy NES Life Member NES Member

I do it at work almost every day after we close. I get customers banging on the door or calling me to see if they can pick up something even though we're closed. I don't mind as I'm here anyway. About half of them don't say anything, the other half will say "What's with the gun?" or "Why are you carrying a gun today?" I tell them I carry a gun every day, but I'm wearing an open, untucked button down shirt over my wife beater, and my gun.
    About 5 years ago I stopped into the Agawam Diner on my way to work for breakfast. I sat at the counter with the regulars as I always do on the only stool that was available. To my left there were this two big dudes. They looked like Linebackers or Wrestlers. Their Tee Shirts were like two sizes too small. I looked over at the guy sitting to my left and I could almost make out the serial number on his gun, and the bottom half was protruding like a Turtle Head. I nudged him and said, "Hey your printing", he gave me this confused look so I said "Your gun, it's outline is showing through your shirt and it's sticking out a little bit. You know, supposed to be concealed." at which point I swept back my shirt exposing my Glock 21, and said "Concealed". He reached in to his Tee Shirt and pulled out his Badge on a chain and kept eating. I don't know what Agency they were with, but the story I heard later was they we there to over see the liquidation of a business that had been Federally Padlocked for non payment of taxes.

Cipher and kalash like this.
  19. TheRoland

TheRoland NES Member

I ran into a group of cowboys open-carrying in a small town west of 128, before I knew what CAS was. At the time, I assumed the Vaqueros weren't real and it was some sort of period-convention.

Other than that, what Rob said. The perception is that only the politically connected get CCW permits in MA. Best to not remind legislators that not all towns are like Boston.

ridleyman and Cipher like this.
  20. MGnoob

MGnoob NES Life Member NES Member

I been saying this for a long time.... lots of people are anti-OC.... since most people carrying won’t actually need to use their firearms..... it has two effects.... OC when enough people do it deters violent crime and has the added bonus effect of desensitizing people to guns..

I guess it has a Third effect..... pissing of snowflakes and informing the public that guns are legal, not evil, and not somthing that should instill fear.

M60 likes this.
  21. M60

M60 NES Member

So, he can carry until they criminalize it. Have some fun guys.

Coyote33 likes this.
  22. M60

M60 NES Member

Yeah. Kinda like a topless beach. You get use to it.

23. Coyote33

Coyote33

I want to know who on here remembers when you HAD TO carry with a part of the gun exposed (I guess you'd call that "open"), because it was considered illegal and "hiding it" if you had it concealed. I remember my father doing this, and saying he always had to leave the butt sticking out if he wanted to be legal. This had to be in the 70', maybe early 80's. Anyone? I think Len was able to confirm this. Len?

M60 likes this.
  24. amb

amb NES Member

Who was it that made a point of going around his town in NH carrying openly and documenting each police interaction in a thread here? No arrests (I think), but he sure talked to the cops a lot. They eventually stopped caring, which I think was the idea.

It was a while ago, but if anybody can dig it up the thread it was interesting reading.

25. sig shooter

sig shooter

Rochester is a very pro second amendment town! However, I’m not ready to subject myself to the scrutiny involved when open carrying.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  26. CatSnoutSoup

CatSnoutSoup NES Member

No, but there is this...

[​IMG]

However here is Joey Heatherton two years ago at 72, so I guess Alice gets the last laugh after all bless her heart...

[​IMG]

:emoji_tiger:

AHM and enbloc like this.
  27. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

You should be fine as long as you look professional. Clean pants and shoes a polo shirt, sun glasses and a clean haircut and shaved. (That just disqualified 90% of NES).

How many times have you walked down the road, seen a guy dressed as I described above with a gun and sometimes what appears to be a badge? ... and the sheep just walk by him and feel safe because he looks like he might be a cop?

It's like those guys on YouTube that wear a safety vest with a hard hat and walk around with a clipboard and can get into almost any building because everyone assumes they are supposed to be there.

That being said, I think open carrying, even if acceptable and legal, is not a good idea. I like to lay low and not call attention to myself, specially if someone is planning to do something stupid.

ridleyman and kalash like this.
  28. Broccoli Iglesias

Then why are you asking?

kalash likes this.
  29. Broccoli Iglesias

What if your head is above water, but your waste is below water?

CatSnoutSoup likes this.
  30. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Did this in college when we wanted to look around the physical plant. We got caught, told the workers we were doing a feasibility study and asked for a map of the tunnel system. We didn't get the map, but we didn't get kicked out either.

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.