1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Open Carry MA Experiences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cipher, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Commonwealth v. Simkin vaguely touches on the subject but suggests one is not to be penalized for engaging in the exact behavior the license permits the licensee to engage in.

There was a situation in Dedham where someone lost an LTC over open carry and it played out over years, but with no definitive decision supporting or rejecting open carry.

cockpitbob, amm5061, TLB and 2 others like this.
  2. Waher

Waher NES Member

Do you feel like spending thousands of dollars and years to have the precedent of FRB V. Simkin enforced by the judiciary; all to have your LTC eventually returned to you while the PD faces zero consequences for asshattery?

DPR likes this.
  3. bill o

bill o

I saw a dude OC a Glock through the Prudential Center mall once. No badge or even off-duty Boston cop gear (Oakleys, jean shorts, Celtic knot tattoo, red sox jersey etc.). No one seemed to notice or care.

M125X likes this.
  4. kalash

kalash

I'm not saying it's smart to OC in Mass. I would just like to see some examples of LTCs being pulled on suitability grounds strictly because of OC - I'm not aware of any.

I was eating breakfast in Brighton once and a guy walked in wearing a plain black t-shirt, black cargo pants, and boots - no badge, no writing on his shirt, no cuffs, nothing. He was OC-ing and no one seemed to even notice.

5. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

[popcorn]

Call the AG's office. She can just go on TV and make a change.

6. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

I think it's poor public relations. it doesn't help the pro gun issue at all, in fact I believe it hurts our position and cements an anti's way of thinking to beyond changing. I cringe also when I see people at rallies with an ar strapped on their backs. it doesn't help.

7. evalance

evalance NES Member

yes but not in every town or area, not every town sucks and hate gun owners

8. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Actual concealed carry flies under the radar in MA. It is best to keep it that way.

Most people outside the gun community don't know ordinary people can often get carry permits, or that 90%+ of handgun owners can legally carry. This "under the radar" assumption is manifested in the perception that only a select few can carry, and is also enshrined in MGL by the lack of both binding signage and statutory restrictions other than school property and some very, very obscure other things (hunting regs, ocean with 500ft of Logan, etc.).

Some rights get stronger if exercised. Others get lost if exercised. It takes a combination of wisdom, common sense and a willingness to examine reality as it is rather than as you think it should be to tell the difference.

* Using the plain English, rather than MGL, definition of carry

9. Greg

Greg

We should organize an open carry at the beach while picking up garbage ! Who's with me ?

evalance and 180 GRAIN FMJ like this.
  10. yogi

yogi NES Member

I openly carried by accident into a store and swear to God nobody noticed. I don't recommend doing it on purpose, when I realized it I fixed the error, but people are oblivious to so much $hit that goes on around them it is bizarre.

drgrant and Cipher like this.
  11. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

"Maybe". I haven't heard of any OC issues in a long time. That's relatively meaningless though. as the level of intentional shit testing on this front isn't very high.

12. seanc

seanc

Yes! There are!
    Inside your own house.

Your garage is questionable

And your yard is, right out.

13. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    I was at a local pizza place, and there were 2 plainclothes cops. I could tell, as they both had their badges hanging out on neck chains. Since they already had their food, I guess it was to make sure nobody freaked at their visible sidearms (jackets were off), and not to get a free meal.

I only OC at the Trap field, and that's an A5.... I'm lost in a crowd of high-rent Brownings and Perazzis [laugh]

M1911 likes this.
  14. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

You should be go to go as long as you're wearing your 'Open Carry' badge or sash.

AHM likes this.
  15. hpm

hpm NES Member

Norfolk County, MA / Piscataquis County, ME
    Only time I open carry is while hiking. Not just talking about rural western Mass but also within 495 like Blue Hills area. Never had any issues.

16. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

On the bright side, many people are oblivious and won’t notice. On the down side, if a nervous Nellie type sees your gun, they will call the police who will likely come screaming in in force to a “man with a gun” call — at best, they will ruin your whole day. At worst, your police chief will revoke your license on grounds of being unsuitable and you will spend thousands of dollars and years trying to get it back.

I knew a guy at my gun club who had a rather unpleasant experience. He was shopping in the Galleria Mall in Cambridge. Apparently his bomber-style jacked had ridden up enough for someone to see his holster pointing out beneath it — not the gun, just the holster. The first time he knew something was amiss was when he was suddenly surrounded by four Cambridge police officers.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    drgrant likes this.
  17. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

I realized the awesomeness of OWB carry when filling my tank after going to the range. It was actually very comfortable and no one batted an eye. I only realized when I was filling the tank and happened to put my hand in my pocket and something tapped my forearm.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  18. MuzzleDiscipline

MuzzleDiscipline NES Life Member NES Member

The purpose of a weapon is to succeed in a conflict. The most important element to any conflict is information. Why would you give up the information advantage?

The bravest thing cops do everyday is pin on a badge and a gun in the open. They make themselves known to anyone willing to confront them and give away the valuable asset of surprise.

I have had instances where unintentionally I was displaying.......no response from my surrounding.

19. 07Mustang

07Mustang NES Member

Only time I would think about open carry is when I work armed security, wearing a class A uniform.

Len-2A Training likes this.
  20. 44marty

44marty NES Member

I have a Ruger 44 with a 10 5/8" bbl that is a PIA to carry concealed.
    I used to open carry it, unloaded. My 38 in a concealed holster.
    One night, returning from a range session, I was carrying the 44 this way, my S&W 442 in a pocket holster, and my 9mm FEG in a concealed holster opposite the 44
    North Adams officers got a complaint from a resident sheep peeking out their window who saw me on the sidewalk.
    Long story short, I spent a half hour explaining myself and explaining to the officers the concept of class A and class B (open, unloaded carry) while they radioed HQ (who phoned the state police, presumably) to question/verify whether open carry was legal.
    Let me tell you, a half hour is way too long to hold your arms out to the side, as per their instructions.
    They were nervous as hell, but thankfully no tasers, batons, or guns were drawn.
    They finally told me to go home.
    I was a bit of a wise ass with them. In retrospect I should have been more polite (subdued, as they expected).
    Not at all like it used to be in Bethel VT years ago, where 75% or so carried openly (and everyone had a rifle, shotgun, or both in their truck)
    So, now I mostly shoot at home and transport guns in cases when headed off the property

M1911 and Cipher like this.
  21. drgrant

There was also that situation where that attorney in Springfield got relieved of his gun and LTC but was never actually charged for anything... I don't think his LTC was ever actually suspended either just confiscated by the Rambo cop that stopped him. If I remember correctly he eventually got his gun back too but only after legal action.... the bottom line was that they had no leg to stand on, a guy walking down the street with a suit on that wasn't buttoned...

22. drgrant

Somewhat ironically I have seen at least one plainclothes CPD officer carrying with no badge displayed but he was eating dinner with uniformed people who eventually joined him. he might have also had a light jacket that actually covered the gun before he sat down to eat... also help that he was somewhat well-dressed nobody really paid any attention to him probably a detective or something like that....

23. drgrant

In rural areas I think it's pretty much a wash but if I'm in anything even loosely resembling "Urban bullshit areas" there's no chance in hell that I'm going to be Ocing there regardless of what state it's in...

24. 44marty

44marty NES Member

To rallies, not at all good PR, but long guns pretty much have to be carried openly. Otherwise there probably would be a law against open carry.
    I used to live in CT and go to VT on weekends. Open carry in CT, concealed passing through MA, either way in VT (I don't go to/through NY anymore if I can avoid it - but that's another long story)

25. bandaid bandit

bandaid bandit NES Member

I've inadvertently done it at times, the only time it was even remotely eventful was coming back from shooting on some private land in Maine a few months ago. Ran a few errands on my way home (NH state liquor store, dropped off the AR I borrowed to my friend in Groveland (ironically right down the street from Groveland PD), and then to the Speedway just off of Route 1 in Peabody. On my way home after filling up, caller ID flashes a cop friend's ID. Apparently, one of my buddy's neighbor saw the cased AR and the Glock on my hip, and a BOLO was put out for my car as a possible MWAG. Cop asked if anyone was borrowing my car, as he knew I was on vacation, and explained why he asked when I said I was confused. Told him it was just me on my way back from Maine, offered to head to whichever department/MSP barracks to clear it up. Was told there was no need, but to answer the phone if it came up restricted within the next hour or so. No such call came, and my LTC is still active/unrestricted.

26. drgrant

They actually put out a f***ing bolo for a generic man with a gun call??? ( without anything that substantiate some kind of actual concern beyond the existence of the gun ) I mean I get it people would go full retard if you were behind a public school or something during business hours but that's just straight-up retarded, a bolo is a far cry from sending an officer to ping / investigate....

kalash likes this.
  27. bandaid bandit

bandaid bandit NES Member

Yes. I'm told it was put out over the area wide as a BOLO, likely because of the "bag that I could tell had a gun in it", plus he has on his hip one of those black pistols only the cops are allowed to have" (or something along those lines. was quoted to me by the cop friend, who heard it from the (groveland IIRC, but not certain on that) cop that took the report, and had heard the BOLO go out over the area wide channel. (apparently the lady had one letter off on my plate, which is likely why I wasn't pulled over before I got from Groveland to Peabody before getting the heads up call).

When the cop ran the plate, and couldn't get a match, he searched the partial plate by color/make, and figured he'd call my local PD to see if I was a known troublemaker or something. That's what triggered the cop buddy to call me. He passed along my phone number at my request, said I might get a call, but that he vouched for me. Apparently he also joked that if I were a problem, they'd know it as I was likely better armed than their entire on duty shift if it was me coming back from vacation and not just someone borrowing my car.

28. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

To the OP......if you want to OC.....basically your Chief of Police is the one you need to ask. He deals with the fallout from you OC'ing and deems you suitable. As much as this sucks, this state sucks. So that is the case.

Likely he will say, I gave you a CC license so you can CC and I don't have to deal with scared babies calling me about you OC'ing. Please do that (most likely answer, and my chiefs answer)

Or he will say, sure....if anyone has an issue with it, then they can call me and I can tell them to screw. (rare, but I know one COP that doesnt care)

Or he will say....your not suitable....give me your permit. (can happen,doubtful, but know your chief before you ask)

Good luck.

Other than that, I carry a full size on a lot of occasions, print all the time, but for the most part make an effort to conceal. In Central MA, I've never had a problem, i have seen people notice.

When in NH,ME or VT I really don't care and carry a full size glock 21 OWB under a t shirt. People definately notice...but up there it doesn't matter.

29. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

OC'd a couple of times in Mass with no issues, generally going to or from an event elsewhere.

In Maine, once, I got a wild eyed stare of fright from a soccer mom. That's about it.

HOLY COW!

Schwing!

enbloc likes this.
  30. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

I did it once at field day at our gun club. No one noticed, but we were also surrounded by rifles and shotguns so I don't think it counts.

I've had it poke out a couple of times on accident and no one's noticed either. I stopped giving any sort of a f*** about printing a long time ago.