Open Carry MA Experiences

I was told that although open carry is legal in MA you shouldn't for obvious reasons. Are there any open carry friendly areas/towns/communities though? If you do open carry what is your experience? Thanks.

iu

Please self-snitch not like the AG and the police aren't viewing this site :rolleyes:

OCing isn't illegal, lol. Nothing to snitch on. That said I think most here don't do it because of the poor transactional costs. This isn't like NH where the kopsch are just going to drive past and go "oh, he's not waving it around or shooting anybody, this is stupid".

I see open carriers all the time down here in NC. I have also seen quite a few concealed carriers who don't care if anyone knows.

It seems to work OK and nobody freaks out.

I always carried concealed in MA, and other than LEOs, don't think I ever saw an open carrier.

After a training course, I inadvetinadly OCd in Rochester MA. No one batted an eye

I've blown concealment a handful of times in the past decade or so, I think only that one broad in the restaurant noticed, that my ex told me about... apparently this lady did a gladys kravitz impression minus the wailing/braying....
tenor.gif

I see open carriers all the time down here in NC. I have also seen quite a few concealed carriers who don't care if anyone knows.

It seems to work OK and nobody freaks out.

I always carried concealed in MA, and other than LEOs, don't think I ever saw an open carrier.

I have seen a couple people OC in more rural/townie areas. Wondering if local culture differs all that much.

Do Mass cops ever open carry when not in uniform?

I remember in college in NC, the Wild Bill's pizza guy used to open carry a revolver, that's the only OC I remember ever seeing.

Cipher, for realz, I don't even like the idea of OC'ing a weapon in Mass. The fact is, that every gang-banger and crack-head will have a full drool on for your sidearm.

The smart money is to keep a stout hideaway in a place where you can get to it fast, draw it and fire it accurately, and than practice all three in a mirror starting so slowly that you can count "the hares on your hand" and get faster as your smoothness progresses...

Oh, and save the "fire" drills for the range. Mirrors are expensive...

Sometime I OC.... there’s a time and a place for everything.

People are so caught up with their own stuff ... most people won’t notice and those that do don’t care...

You have to put out a vibe that your suppose to be OCing... OC while looking like a scumbag or “yute” doesn’t help.

If your not comfortable doing it, or with the consequences you shouldn’t do it....

I could tell storys about a few negative experiences I’ve had, but I would rather not... the moral of the story being I still do it.

I "notice" most guns not in full CCW... if they cross my sight line. It's called situational awareness. If you are not doing this when out in public...
Stay home.
Exactly what I was going to say...I spot a lot of printing.... people act like no one carrys a gun in MA.... most of the places I go to I’m already aware of other CCWs... and notice people I don’t already know definitely or most likely carrying.

I’ve also been in public and seen people OCing.. not often I don’t find the practice strange or concerning at all..... but Ive been outside of MA

Short hair and a cop vibe help

This is my take. Especially if short hair and overall "coppy" looking, they'll assume off duty cop or detective IMO.

This may be true for oblivious civvies, but a seasoned cop can spot a "faker" pretty quick...

What would be a nice addendum to this thread, would be any current or former LEO's to post their experiences with civvies OC'ing and what were the results...

OCing isn't illegal, lol. Nothing to snitch on. That said I think most here don't do it because of the poor transactional costs. This isn't like NH where the kopsch are just going to drive past and go "oh, he's not waving it around or shooting anybody, this is stupid".
Lol. That said.

I’ve never openly carried in MA, just because i don’t feel like ever drawing attention to myself. Most people wouldn’t notice, but I don’t want the 10% who would to bring any problems into my life, legally or socially.

I saw one person at the Hadley mall Dicks about 4-5 years ago openly carry a WWII styled 1911 in a serpa holster. Sort of red necky looking, nobody else seemed to care. Only other was in Maine at cabelas. Again nobody cared obviously.

I did it NH once...it was uneventful.

Yep. If you want to "Open Carry"...

Open Carry at home...

OC is stupid in MA.

If you have any sort of argument with someone all they have to do is call 911 and say "I was threatened with a gun", and they have very effectively punished you without so much as lifting a finger, and not exposing themselves to any physical or legal risk.

The truth is irrelevant. You will hear "you have the right to remain silent..." followed by "I require a retainer of $xxxxx".

i don’t feel like ever drawing attention to myself
It is called being the "gray man" or "getting lost in a crowd of one".

Last edited:
OP, do you just want to OC for shit'n'giggles to be a super cool gun guy? It's a serious question because there's really no good reason to do it around MA other than to troll liberals - not worth the hassle of dealing with the cops when some moonbat inevitably calls 911. If you are really dying to OC, there's the three northern New England states where no one will bat an eye lid at a gun.

Open carrying in MA is a suitability issue.
Cite?

OP, do you just want to OC for shit'n'giggles to be a super cool gun guy? It's a serious question because there's really no good reason to do it around MA other than to troll liberals - not worth the hassle of dealing with the cops when some moonbat inevitably calls 911. If you are really dying to OC, there's the three northern New England states where no one will bat an eye lid at a gun.

Cite?

Do I plan on OC? Hell no.

Back
Top Bottom