Open carry in your home and on your property? What about leased space?

I know the law does not specify that open carrying is illegal and I do understand the whole "unsuitable person" situation that could cause loss of LTC. I wonder if you would be considered an unsuitable person if you open carried on your own property. Probably not, right? What could the police do if you were mowing the lawn while open carrying? What about inside your home? Probably not, right? What if the pizza delivery guy or a neighbor called the police? Would you be considered an unsuitable person? What about on your condo common areas? It is private property and you have ownership of that property. What if a neighbor called the police? What about your leased office space or place of business? Would you be considered unsuitable to have a LTC if you open carried in these areas? Has anyone had an expereince they can comment on? I'm trying to understand the environment of LTC in MA to its fullest extent.

I know the law does not specify that open carrying is illegal and I do understand the whole "unsuitable person" situation that could cause loss of LTC. I wonder if you would be considered an unsuitable person if you open carried on your own property. Probably not, right? What could the police do if you were mowing the lawn while open carrying? What about inside your home? Probably not, right? What if the pizza delivery guy or a neighbor called the police? Would you be considered an unsuitable person? What about on your condo common areas? It is private property and you have ownership of that property. What if a neighbor called the police? What about your leased office space or place of business? Would you be considered unsuitable to have a LTC if you open carried in these areas? Has anyone had an expereince they can comment on? I'm trying to understand the environment of LTC in MA to its fullest extent.

I am sorry in advance for seeming to "lash out" at you especially since you seem to be a new guy here and I would hate to scare off someone...but seriously did you read the questions you asked? This is "northeastshooters" not "northeast holders of a crystal ball" there are really 1000's of possable "answers" to your dozen or so "what if"...how would any of us here know the actual answer to any of what you asked? About the only person who could answer some of those questions for you would be your chief (or maybe licensing officer) but even that is a stretch...

Seriously a question to the moderators/etc, with the "renovations" of this board how about a "what if" page? Seems most of the drawn out derailed threads are a result of vague open "what if's", why not stick all such "what if" questions on the same page???

Again to Dr. CCW sorry don't take it personal, but really how do you expect us to answer all that???I mean what if on my way to work I am attacked by a band of ape warriors, can I shoot or are they considered endangered???[wink]

Just conceal it, and you won't have a problem.

BINGO! We have a winner!

Seriously, just avoid problems by keeping it concealed.

In sheep-rich MA if your gun is seen on your property or in the uncovered window of your home, you can expect someone to call 911 and the police aren't going to be real happy dealing with the situation.

Avoid confrontation and live a long, happy life.

I wonder if anyone was considered unsuitable because they exposed their handgun on their property. Am I unsuitable if I dont want to throw on a coat in July to cover up my holster to run down to the garage and one of the neighbors get all twisted in a knot?

Last edited:
Not the Dr. of CCW, the Dr. who CCW. I may be yours. Always carrying.

Not to derail the thread too much, but my when my GI Dr. asked me to remove my shirt and then saw my CCW, politely asked me "What is that device for?" Pretty funny. He is from Ireland and I don't think he carries himself.

I was embarrassed and he did a good job moving past it.

Why don't you politely ask your neighbors if they'd freak out if they see you with a big evil gun on your belt running in your yard?

I clean my gun on my backyard porch from time to time as some cleaners are too smelly using in the house. I don't toss a light-deflecting energy shield over my property before I do it.

Rather than 'what if's', it's more productive to ask yourself 'what would be the common sense..."

Why don't you politely ask your neighbors if they'd freak out if they see you with a big evil gun on your belt running in your yard?

I clean my gun on my backyard porch from time to time as some cleaners are too smelly using in the house. I don't toss a light-deflecting energy shield over my property before I do it.

Rather than 'what if's', it's more productive to ask yourself 'what would be the common sense..."

That's why I'm asking. Common sense does not seem to apply in this state. There are laws that allow local authorities to add their own restrictions and an unwritten code of behavior that nobody seems to know. Enforcement is based loosely on the opinion of the local licencing authority with no consideration of the Constitution.

Last edited:
That's why I'm asking. Common sense does not seem to apply in this state. There are laws that allow local authorities to add their own restrictions and an unwritten code of behavior that nobody seems to know. Enforcement is based loosely on the opinion of the local licencing authority with no consideration of the Constitution.

Your answer is here. [wink]

The whole "suitability" thing is dumb..We have the same thing here in CT..although maybe not so bad..I have no issue OC around my property/in my car/gas station/subway(food)/cabelas..esp in summer..The issue of OC in CT is in Federal Court and maybe thats where Mass needs to go...In a deposition it was recently stated that Police in CT are told OPEN CARRY IS LEGAL with a valid permit when they are trained on CT Law...I would be curious if Mass Police are told that OC is Legal by those with a LTC-A ALP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom