• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open carry in Massachusetts, is it Legal?

While I support OC, it's not something I normally do. To me, it's like flashing a big roll of bills at a bar. You may attract attention, if that's your goal. That attention may be favorable, like from the cougar sitting two stools away, or it may be negative, and result in one or two guys waiting outside the bar to relieve you of that roll of bills. [wink]

People OC'ing doesn't bother me in the least, it's just an activity that I choose not to participate in.

Yes, it is legal. You may hear a bunch of conjecture on whether or not to do it. Maybe 1-3 people have actually been in trouble for doing this in the last 10 years. With the new laws about discretion now here, I do not know if we'll see many people bothered by this sort of thing going forward. It is best to use your own discretion.

Edit to add:
I suspect he was referring Simkin v. Commonwealth SJC-11295, in which the MA SJC held that:

However, Simkin is not responsible for alarm caused to others by his mere carrying of concealed weapons pursuant to a license permitting him to do exactly that.

Another case that tangentially touches on the subject is Commonwealth v. Couture, where the court held that the mere observation that someone is carrying a gun, absent some other indicator of criminal activity, does not give police reason to believe that a crime is being committed or to stop/detain/search such a person. ...

Put those two together, and you have:

One is not responsible for alarm caused to others by his mere carrying of concealed weapons pursuant to a license permitting him to do exactly that nor is the mere observation that someone is carrying a gun, absent some other indicator of criminal activity, does not give police reason to believe that a crime is being committed or to stop/detain/search such a person.

Pretty powerful language here, and on top of the new limitations on discretion, makes open carrying even easier than before, if that is your thing.

Last edited:
And there it is. Two days into the new year and already we have our first dumb ass OC thread of 2015.

Wow, your one of those people who popped out knowing everything! Congratulations, met a few tools like you in my life. What questions can I ask, oh yah and what books are ok to read. Anything else YOU don't tolerate. I try searching the forums for my answers but sometimes you can't muddle through it all. Sorry, if I offended you in some way.

Wow, your one of those people who popped out knowing everything! Congratulations, met a few tools like you in my life. What questions can I ask, oh yah and what books are ok to read. Anything else YOU don't tolerate. I try searching the forums for my answers but sometimes you can't muddle through it all. Sorry, if I offended you in some way.

BigMoby - You'll need to learn to have a VERY thick skin around here. This *IS* a frequently asked question. It really does come up a lot, and has been asked and answered much as this thread has, at least once a month. Some people get tired of repetitive questions and answers. There are entire bands of "dupe cops" who wait, hawk-like, for someone to commit the offense of posting something that was already posted, just so they can be a board police and call them out for it.

Oh. Go Green! Membership has its privileges.

Another case that tangentially touches on the subject is Commonwealth v. Couture, where the court held that the mere observation that someone is carrying a gun, absent some other indicator of criminal activity, does not give police reason to believe that a crime is being committed or to stop/detain/search such a person.

This case is, for all practical purposes, ignored in the field, but it may provide the basis for a defense in some very limited circumstances. I remember the Boston PD stating that they were not changing any practices as a result of the decision.

I thought, in MA, if LEO asks to see your LTC, you must show it. I could foresee a situation where an open carrier is confronted by a (e.g.) street cop. Cop sees gun. Asks for ID/LTC. Carrier must produce LTC. But according to everything else here, there's no other reason for the officer to detain or otherwise report him, correct?

I thought, in MA, if LEO asks to see your LTC, you must show it. I could foresee a situation where an open carrier is confronted by a (e.g.) street cop. Cop sees gun. Asks for ID/LTC. Carrier must produce LTC. But according to everything else here, there's no other reason for the officer to detain or otherwise report him, correct?

This is an interesting question. I'm far from an expert on MA laws, besides IANAL.

Taking a strictly constitional approach, even if a LEO sees you carrying, that doesn't provide adequate "probable cause" to believe that you are carrying illegally. In a strictly constitional sense he would not be allowed to demand to see "your papers" simply because you are carrying a weapon.

That probably isn't the easiest way to manage the situation, but (excluding MA specific laws) should be technically legal.

This is an interesting question. I'm far from an expert on MA laws, besides IANAL.

Taking a strictly constitional approach, even if a LEO sees you carrying, that doesn't provide adequate "probable cause" to believe that you are carrying illegally. In a strictly constitional sense he would not be allowed to demand to see "your papers" simply because you are carrying a weapon.

That probably isn't the easiest way to manage the situation, but (excluding MA specific laws) should be technically legal.

MA is NOT part of America. If an officer demands to see your LTC, you MUST hand it over, it is part of the conditions of having the "privilege" of having a LTC (or FID) in MA>

The law doesn't say you have to stay after you produce your license.

But I bet a court would say the intent is to identify you, so you have to stay detained for whatever amount of time is necessary for the officer to be assured of your identity.

MA is NOT part of America. If an officer demands to see your LTC, you MUST hand it over, it is part of the conditions of having the "privilege" of having a LTC (or FID) in MA>

That would certainly deem carrying a privilege and not a right. Can the cops even ask a driver for their license without probable cause or any violation?
While it is the law to show an LTC when asked, can one plead the 5th if asked if one is armed? Are you required to allow the police to inspect/ remove the gun from your person?

When I got my license a couple of years ago, I was told by multiple friends of mine (also gun owners) that it was illegal in MA.

I hear this crap all the time from otherwise sensible gun owners. I challenge them to identify the MGL that says open carry is not legal. I also remind them that, in a free society, everything is legal unless it is specifically illegal.

Another case that tangentially touches on the subject is Commonwealth v. Couture, where the court held that the mere observation that someone is carrying a gun, absent some other indicator of criminal activity, does not give police reason to believe that a crime is being committed or to stop/detain/search such a person.

This case is, for all practical purposes, ignored in the field, but it may provide the basis for a defense in some very limited circumstances. I remember the Boston PD stating that they were not changing any practices as a result of the decision.

Funny you mention BPD because the only time i had a LEO tell me they had to be creative (eg, with a generic "man with a gun" encounter") when asking for an LTC was with a guy from BPD... Basically he said that absent other indicators, if they wanted someone to produce an LTC they had to socially engineer people into presenting it voluntarily instead of just demanding it.

The law: If a police officer demands to see your LTC, you must show it to him.
See the last paragraph:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129c

True, but there is also case law that says the cop has no reason to ask for an LTC unless there is a reason beyond your carrying the gun.

Cops will generally say something like "show me your LTC" rather than "do you have an LTC" as the later is asking for a potentially incriminating statement without a Miranda warning.

I try searching the forums for my answers

Really? You couldn't have searched too hard. I just entered OC in the search box and got 500 (the maximum) threads on OCing.
I see that you're new here, believe me, within a year, you too will be tired of all the rehashed OC threads. It has been discussed to death.

Really? You couldn't have searched too hard. I just entered OC in the search box and got 500 (the maximum) threads on OCing.
I see that you're new here, believe me, within a year, you too will be tired of all the rehashed OC threads. It has been discussed to death.

Yet a search of couture and simkin only returned 2 threads in a search, this being one of them, so every one in a while, asking the question again may get you a better answer.

Im not looking to have a debate on if it is advisable or not but if it is legal. Does anyone know anybody who does it if it is?

Yet a search of couture and simkin only returned 2 threads in a search, this being one of them, so every one in a while, asking the question again may get you a better answer.

Where in the OP's original post does it mention anything regarding couture or simkin?

Where in the OP's original post does it mention anything regarding couture or simkin?

No, it doesn't. My point was in all the other open carry threads that a search turned up, none but this and one other mentioned those two cases that are important to know in regards to open carry. So in asking this question for the millionth time, this thread seemed to give slightly more info than the others. So, sometimes it's worth it to ask again.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't. My point was in all the other open carry threads that a search turned up, none but this and one other mentioned those two cases that are important to know in regards to open carry. So in asking this question for the millionth time, this thread seemed to give slightly more info than the others. So, sometimes it's worth it to ask again.
agreed, I was familiar with one case but not the other

I learned something today thanks to the OP

also, I think its time to rehash the open carry BBQ debacle...

Put whatever spin you like on it, but the bottom line is that the OP's question has been asked an answered several dozen times.

Put whatever spin you like on it, but the bottom line is that the OP's question has been asked an answered several dozen times.

there are some topics worth bringing up repeatedly in my mind, if you disagree you probably could have stayed out based on the thread topic

Based on the amount of positive rep points I received regarding this thread, I am far from the only one who has grown tired of the subject.

good for all of you, some others learned something. last I checked clicking on the subject was a voluntary act

I'm always up for a good open carry debate as evidently there are still many who think it is illegal

I'm always up for a good open carry debate as evidently there are still many who think it is illegal

Sorry, open transport is clearly illegal, I just looked it up

(b) Whoever, upon any way or in any place to which the public has a right of access, or upon any way or in any place to which members of the public have access as invitees or licensees, possesses an open container

Open transport is illegal, MAGL malegislature.gov

(That's about booze. Handguns are fine. Long guns are not.)

Back
Top Bottom