• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open carry in Massachusetts, is it Legal?

Yes there is NO law prohibiting it. No I've never seen anyone but armed security or LEOs open carrying anywhere in MA other than at a gun club.

Yes there is NO law prohibiting it. No I've never seen anyone but armed security or LEOs open carrying anywhere in MA other than at a gun club.

+1

Op, I know you don't want to debate advisability but do understand that especially here in sheeplechusetts the OC thing is not just debatable from the tactical standpoint but also from a "getting swatted" standpoint.

But it is legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you thought this only happened in old Russian movies....

Nope, but we keep bending over and taking it. Thank goodness for comm2A and SAF. I think we as gun owners need to be better organized, because if more of us showed up at rallies etc....We need to make sure they hear us and realize their job is on the line. In other words we need to out number the against and vote in the right people.

When a person defends his/her life or the life of a loved one and is wrongly prosecuted for doing so. We has a group should legally protest and support that person, if that happened maybe the change would be better than the change we got on Jan 1, 2015.

Last edited:
Legal? Yes.

Remember that your license is at the discretion of your police chief and he can revoke it at any time.

Yes, but under the new standard the chief must convince the court you have been, are are likely to be, a danger to yourself or others. Time will tell if the courts pay attention to this change.

Plus, there is the issue of Simkin v. Commonwealth where the SJC held that a LTC holder is not responsible for the fear people have of him doing exactly what he is licensed to do. Ditto on the time will tell.

If OC became "acceptable" in MA, how many would actually do it? I think there would be a very small percentage, and theyd OC just because they can and want everyone to know it.

Open carry of a handgun is one thing, open carry of a long gun is quite another, right?

Nobody has qualified what the OP was talking about.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12D

(a) Except as exempted or provided by law, no person shall carry on his person on any public way a loaded rifle or shotgun having cartridges or shells in either the magazine or chamber thereof.

[...]

(b) Except as exempted or provided by law, no person shall carry on his person on any public way an unloaded rifle or shotgun, unless such rifle or shotgun is enclosed in a case.

My understanding is that there is no law prohibiting open carry but if you do someone will likely call the police and then your suitability is questioned. You could lose your permit. You could also be charged with something like "creating a disturbance" because the fuzz showed up and everyone was freaked out. You could also just be shot by a SWAT team. You might be able to open carry if you lived in a small rural town where everybody knows everybody.

I open carry at work. I own a business that it is deemed acceptable. I would never step foot outside tho. Moonbats are everywhere!

Yes, but under the new standard the chief must convince the court you have been, are are likely to be, a danger to yourself or others. Time will tell if the courts pay attention to this change.

I don't think that's what the law says! I believe they must convince a judge merely that there exists specific evidence that merely suggests you could create a risk. They do not have to convince the court that you actually could create a risk, that you would pose a risk, that you will pose a risk, that you are a risk. And then, they don't even have to prove that the evidence exists beyond that it is more likely than not that the evidence might exist.

But it's a start.

If OC became "acceptable" in MA, how many would actually do it? I think there would be a very small percentage, and theyd OC just because they can and want everyone to know it.

No way in hell. 17 yrs in uniform was enough "open carry" for me. Never felt comfortable when strangers were around me back then. It would be 1000x worse in civvies OC'g.

Think of it as a mulligan you can use if you have poor carry practices resulting in your gun being briefly exposed, not as an avenue to carry.

Understood. There is no "brandishing" law now, so it SHOULD NOT adversely impact us if accidently seen. However, COPs have used it as a club to revoke and it will take multiple court cases to convince COPs otherwise to make that problem go away. [I'm not convinced that all chiefs will abide by Simkin either!]

Sadly today the cartoon above is our reality (may not be arrest if LEOs are knowledgeable of the law, which is iffy at best, but substitute revoking permit for arrest and it is spot-on).

original.jpg

This is when the police need to say this person is licensed and doing nothing wrong. Have a nice day

John Travolta's character in Pulp Fiction, during the "Royale with Cheese" car drive discussion, would answer open-carry in MA like he did for "hash" in Amsterdam: "It's legal but it aint 100 percent, legal. You can't just walk into a restaurant and start open-carrying away. You have to do it in your home, or in certain designated places......" [laugh]

NSFW/language:

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than it being your right to. ...what is the benefit?

Displaying that you have one in my opinion would place you more at risk.

I could see OC. In a business as a deterrent but again under the worst case scenario could cost you your life.

"Open Carry" is normally a term used in States where it is legal to carry a firearm w/o an LTC as long as it is carried in plain
view and not concealed under ones clothing. In Massachusetts there is no law against open carry but one must still be properly
licensed to carry the firearm. Open display of ones firearm can bring you a lot of problems with the Chief of Police who
issued the LTC if they receive complaints or 911 calls about an armed person. Massachusetts is not the State to open carry
in if one values their LTC. We should use common sense and make wide decisions while armed.

Back
Top Bottom