• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OOS Inheritance Question

I have a friend who, through an unexpected death in the family, has a few long guns coming his way. He lives in RI and is properly licensed for long guns. They are currently in another state in the possession of his relative's spouse. I am not sure if the spouse has a license, so knowing what to do in either case is a necessity. As far as I know, there was only a verbal understanding that my friend was to receive the guns. All parties are aware and accepting of that understanding. What steps would be necessary for him to take legal ownership of the guns in RI?

I can't speak for states other than MA, but Fed Law is clear on the matter and can be found in post # 1 here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/5804-MA-Gun-Laws-(Fed-amp-MA)-and-Inheritance

Even though I focus on MA in that thread, most states are similar. You will need to check RI law and the state the guns are in now for any laws that might muddy the waters.

Bottom line with the Feds is no FFLs are needed, heir can come to the state the guns are in and transport under FOPA back to his home state. Does the state law line up with this? Can't say w/o knowing the name of the state (I wouldn't take bets on NJ or CA w/o checking their laws).

I guess the big questions involved transfer of the guns as inheritence with only a verbal understanding and whether they would have to be acknowledged on paper in RI after they've been brought there.

There is no license of any kind needed to own a firearm in RI, only to buy a handgun (and it's not really a license). RI does not require registering of firearms either, so no paper unless he wants them insured. Even then I doubt the state will care.

lives in RI and is properly licensed for long guns

Crap, I don't have a single license to own any of my dozen long guns here in Rhode Island and the state has no record of my ownership! [shocked]

For the most part, RI has very few laws and most unusual (or even usual) cases are never covered so all kinds of things are legal in RI because they have never been addressed by the law. I see no law on the books regarding inheritance of firearms at all.

As far as I can tell, RI law specifically addresses only the purchase of firearms. Since no RI law exists regarding the gift or inheritance of firearms, Federal law would apply.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/INDEX.HTM

Back
Top Bottom