Oopsie Daisy!!....Portsmouth, NH PD indoor shooting range backstop catches fire

Update:

PORTSMOUTH - Almost a year after being asked for a report about a fire in the Police Department's shooting range, federal investigators released their findings this week, which include their inability to rule out prohibited "tracer" rounds as the cause, estimating the damage at $1 million, and the likely cause as due to heated bullets striking metal and/or a degraded rubber bullet stop.

The Portsmouth Herald requested the report about the July 30, 2013 fire from Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in November 2015 and received a redacted version of the 39-page report on Tuesday. The ATF report summarizes the events surrounding the fire as occurring after an officer (whose name is redacted) fired 15 rounds of .38 caliber handgun ammunition in the range, from a ten-yard line away from a rubber bullet trap. The officer reported the rounds were fired "generally" into the center of the bullet trap and that none of them were incendiary "tracer" rounds.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20161005/atf-bullet-fragments-caused-1-million-fire

So basically, after three years, they really have no clue what started the fire, they're only guessing.

Isn't the Portsmouth COP the fuktard doing the anti-2nd ads for Horseface Hassan?

The article from seacoastonline is really some poor journalism. They talk substantially about tracer bullets and quote from the ATF report that "there was nothing in the markings that could conclusively indicate whether or not the casings came from an incendiary type round." Well, there was also nothing to indicate conclusively whether aliens started the fire. What they mean is "no evidence indicated tracer bullets were involved."

Further, at the bottom of the article they report other known cases where "bullet traps made from granulated rubber caught fire after ordinary ammunition was fired into them." So despite efforts to sensationalize, there really is nothing to see here.

As an aside, they believe the fire was started by .38 special rounds. Are there really any .38 special tracers?

If the PD can't keep a bullet trap clean and the floor clear of unburnt powder, wanna bet their air system isn't properly maintained and all surfaces are way over the limit for lead contamination. OSHA should be busting their balls and the union complaining about officer safety.

/but cops are special and trained

Are there really any .38 special tracers?

Back in the 80's I bought tracer bullets in component form in .38, 9mm, .45, .30 (rifle) and loaded my own.
The .45's were the best, I loaded them really slow and you could easily see them in the daytime.
It was basically a chunk of phosphorous wrapped with a copper jacket.
When I recovered them downrange, all that was left was the hollow jacket material.

The real question is what cops were still training with .38's in 2013 ???

If the PD can't keep a bullet trap clean and the floor clear of unburnt powder, wanna bet their air system isn't properly maintained and all surfaces are way over the limit for lead contamination. OSHA should be busting their balls and the union complaining about officer safety.

/but cops are special and trained
OSHA has no authority over local/town agencies. They have their own rules....or not.

Yep. Nothing to see here. Move along. We're the only ones qualified to use these guns.

Just another case of a racist cop shooting a black man. Sadly... I bet you that his self-shooting is in the stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 80's I bought tracer bullets in component form in .38, 9mm, .45, .30 (rifle) and loaded my own.
The .45's were the best, I loaded them really slow and you could easily see them in the daytime.
It was basically a chunk of phosphorous wrapped with a copper jacket.
When I recovered them downrange, all that was left was the hollow jacket material.

The real question is what cops were still training with .38's in 2013 ???
Backup/off duty gun. Lots of departments authorize .38 snubs for off duty and backup use, including NYPD, LAPD and LA County Sheriff's Office.

Back
Top Bottom