onX Hunt App

Chris M.

NES Member
Ok I broke down and bought the onX app and now i need to learn how to use it.

Anyone else using it? What features do you recommend i get familiar with?

Thanks!

Ok I broke down and bought the onX app and now i need to learn how to use it.

Anyone else using it? What features do you recommend i get familiar with?

Thanks!
The main feature is knowing who's property your standing on. And how close you are to the property lines and homes you can't see through the woods.

I've set some waypoints to mark good access points.

That's all I use it for.

I've used it for years and love it. I mostly use the marking system to drop "pins" where tree stands are, or where I see animal signs. I also like the tracking feature, so you can see where you have walked.

I use it. Mark my stand locations or where I want to put potential stands with red waypoints.
I Mark other hunters stand locations that I come across in yellow.
You can use it to measure line distances so you know that you're far enough from a
house or roadway.
I also like the weather it tells you what the forecasted temperature, wind direction and speed is hourly. You can also set it up so if you're holding your phone when you're walking it faces direction you are traveling.
Only problem I have with it is owners addresses aren't listed just the name. You have to cross-reference it with Massachusetts interactive property map. Also a lot of the owner's names aren't up-to-date. Probably doesn't make a big difference in rural areas. But when you're trying to find hunting land in The burbs it does.

Last edited:
I played with it last year and was not too impressed.
They seemed to have very little data for the northeast US in terms of land ownership and boundaries.
I have the app for GAIA GPS on my phone and it works well for dropping pins and finding your way around and it's free...

The current owner info isn’t that up to date. Admins’ post will have the current info For whatever parcel you are interested in. I honestly think that they don’t see the Northeast as a major hunting market like out west.

They have a 50% veteran discount which is terrific.

Running it “offline” will save battery and greatly increase the map responsiveness, especially in areas where there is poor cell service.

Bob

I've loaded the On X Hunt app to give it a shot and found the baselayer maps (topo, sat, hybrid) to be lacking in that you cannot select the source maps. The topo map lacks details (like old 4wd roads). And I prefer to select satellite imagery taken after foliage drops rather than a full canopy, as landmarks and trails are more readily apparent. Other than that, the app is easy to use for hunting purposes. I haven't yet used the offline map building option.

I've also been using HuntStand, which has a wider selection of basemaps available. The UI is a bit clunkier than On X. And the offline map is limited to only one satellite imagery source. Both HuntStand and On X can provide land owner info.

For detailed mapping and trail use, I still prefer BackCountry Navigator.

The main feature is knowing who's property your standing on. And how close you are to the property lines and homes you can't see through the woods.

I've set some waypoints to mark good access points.

That's all I use it for.

Basically use it for the same thing. It's nice knowing property lines while hunting or scouting. You can also measure distance from one point or object to another, such as where you are in relation to a nearby house etc.

The first thing I do when I park my truck is mark that spot with a waypoint. As I venture into an area and go off in one direction, I'll mark that spot with another waypoint. Each time I change direction I'll mark it. I mark scat and other signs as well as animal sightings with different waypoints. I mark possible locations for treestands, as well as other people's treestands I come upon. You can take a pic and attach it to a waypoint also, so that when you click on that waypoint later you can see the pic.

The tracking aspect is nice, but it eats up your battery if you keep it running. I'll generally mark my points, shut the app and put the phone in my pocket until I change course or see something. Biggest thing is don't let it take the place of good orientation or a compass.

I purchased the onX Hunt app, and have been using it for a few days now. Being able to access most used functions from the home page, with one gloved hand, makes it the easiest to use of the apps I've tried while hunting. Most of my use relates to marking locations of interest, and saving my tracks on paths as reference routes for accessing/exiting areas. A wider selection of base maps would make the price easier to swallow but I will probably renew it next season.

I purchased the onX Hunt app, and have been using it for a few days now. Being able to access most used functions from the home page, with one gloved hand, makes it the easiest to use of the apps I've tried while hunting. Most of my use relates to marking locations of interest, and saving my tracks on paths as reference routes for accessing/exiting areas. A wider selection of base maps would make the price easier to swallow but I will probably renew it next season.

The code THP (The Hunting Public) will save you 20% and being a veteran will give you a 50% discount.

To access the discount you need to call them and get it directly from ONXMAPS you can’t do it using the APP store.

Bob

Anyone remember Plat Books from years past or was that a midwest thing. I used to get them from the Boyscouts or FFA as fund raisers when I was stationed out there. Same thing before the GPS - digital world. Here in the Adirondacks they have limited used due to the size of the Adirondack Park.

Back
Top Bottom