• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ONLY 1 LEFT 2018 OCSA Pembroke ma NEXT NOV 4th M1 Garand Clinic and Modern Military

The weather is getting better and the first match is just around the corner.
My schedule is getting worse looks like i might be there just long enough to pay for the karma winner and wish him luck.

That blows. Hope your schedule improves. If chasing kid stuff, they are only young once and there will be more time to shoot once they start doing things on their own.

That blows. Hope your schedule improves. If chasing kid stuff, they are only young once and there will be more time to shoot once they start doing things on their own.
I'm having a blast with the kids sports stuff. Assistant coach for 10yr daughter. Twins decided to play ball late no sports after june so frees up some time after that.

Sweet thank you! See you there.

Congrats Gator. I won the same karma from Mac1911 a few years ago, it was my first time shooting a Garand, and I had a blast. It prompted me to build my own WOA upper'd AR the following year. I may be there on the 22nd. Our home closing got delayed (again), and I no longer need to pack this weekend to move.

I'm ready
Just hope I have time for both matches. Will shoot 308 first with the loads picked from the poll from a while back.
168 grain with H4895

For the 30-06 going in blind with 110 grain nosler H4895 used a Lee 3.7 dipper and Lee dies. Should have enough gas volume to function the rifle yet be very low recoil. Should be fun

So for the Garand match, would I be able to use my WW2 springfield with the new .308 barrel I put on it?

So for the Garand match, would I be able to use my WW2 springfield with the new .308 barrel I put on it?
No you would be classed in the modern military match.
They run combined. Generally they run the as issued match first then the modern military but it really depends on how many shooters and what will flow easiest.

No you would be classed in the modern military match.
They run combined. Generally they run the as issued match first then the modern military but it really depends on how many shooters and what will flow easiest.

Thanks, thought that would be the case.

I'll be there. For as issued Garand bringing the Winchester with the lead-dipped heel and funky birch stock. Shooting '67 LC National Match ammo I picked up for $5 a box. For MM bringing the Bula M14 build and shooting reloads of Varget + 155 Nosler CC's in PPU brass.

Can anyone let Rich know me and Pat are running a little late.

He was putting his makeup on and took forever to get ready for the match. We have an ETA of 9:30 and are only doing Garand matches due to time constraints.

Seems like it’ll be a good turnout though so I tried calling Rich but it went straight to voicemail.

I had to run out at 12, how where the scores
My garand 30-06 110 grain loads and off hand in general where not good.

Can anyone let Rich know me and Pat are running a little late.

He was putting his makeup on and took forever to get ready for the match. We have an ETA of 9:30 and are only doing Garand matches due to time constraints.

Seems like it’ll be a good turnout though so I tried calling Rich but it went straight to voicemail.

Yeah, I know you like it that way but somebody needs to tell Pat to go a little lighter on the eye liner.

I had to run out at 12, how where the scores
My garand 30-06 110 grain loads and off hand in general where not good.

Did so-so in Garand so really wasn't paying attention. I think Franco got the silver and Dave the gold? DW or Gasgunner might remember. For Modern Military, Franco shot 290 for gold and I picked up the silver with a 285. My Bula shot 100-5X for slow fire and DW's a 99, maybe more X's than me. I shot a 88-1 in offhand, one of my better ones.

Yeah, I know you like it that way but somebody needs to tell Pat to go a little lighter on the eye liner.

Did so-so in Garand so really wasn't paying attention. I think Franco got the silver and Dave the gold? DW or Gasgunner might remember. For Modern Military, Franco shot 290 for gold and I picked up the silver with a 285. My Bula shot 100-5X for slow fire and DW's a 99, maybe more X's than me. I shot a 88-1 in offhand, one of my better ones.

Hate shooting blind on target A/B by the time I found the shots in the black in MM i already lost 3 down in 9 ring. X ring eluded me. Rapids all but a 7 where good. Off hand ----:mad::confused::cool:

Garand As Issued i did not do well.
Started off well with all but 3 just outside the 10 ring for score. Rapids sucked and I used every ring in off hand

I’m planning on making one of the Garand matches coming up. Haven’t done one of these in 10+ years. Will I need a SLED or 2-round clip?

I’m planning on making one of the Garand matches coming up. Haven’t done one of these in 10+ years. Will I need a SLED or 2-round clip?
I'm not sure on this but I do believe the match director has you use a SLED with the M1? Pembroke has SLEDs to use.
Dedicated 2 round clips are not a need you can load 2 rounds with a regular clip also. I posted a video somewhere but I have a hard time finding stuff here on NES?
I miss the "search this thread/post " link that used to be at the top right of the header for each sub forum

Found it . Basically how I do it. Your loading your 2 rounds first and closing the bolt on a empty chamber. This is how I do it. Sometimes I cross/twist the rounds to force them to stay in the clip

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1qhQuw1nto

Twist

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JcvAllGg74

Last edited:
I am hoping to redeem myself in the Springfield Match.

At Butner, I shot a slow fire consistent with the 1903 (97?), but the 4th round of my rapids jammed. In trying to clear the jam and get the bolt forward, my pinky finger got caught under the striker/sear area on the bolt - crushed my fingernail and took a huge chunk out of the pad of my finger. Came out with a saved round and an 83 in the rapids. I did manage to shoot a 90 in Offhand for a 270, which was good for a Bronze.

I am hoping to redeem myself in the Springfield Match.

At Butner, I shot a slow fire consistent with the 1903 (97?), but the 4th round of my rapids jammed. In trying to clear the jam and get the bolt forward, my pinky finger got caught under the striker/sear area on the bolt - crushed my fingernail and took a huge chunk out of the pad of my finger. Came out with a saved round and an 83 in the rapids. I did manage to shoot a 90 in Offhand for a 270, which was good for a Bronze.

Nice job for the Bronze! [thumbsup] I hear there are some great shooters at Butner, so you did pretty well to deal with that jam.

Do you know what caused the jam? Reminds me of Vermont- shot a 96-4X essentially hand loading most of the shots for that rapid stage because I had rounds and clips barfing out all over the place. Culprit was a crappy aftermarket clip latch and maybe a little wood in the way. Miracle it didn't eat my thumb.

How did you do in the other matches, and how did the rest of the gang do?

I think I'll open up the aperture a little on my '03. I already have the wider USMC front sight and the USMC front sight cover. I've shot some very good individual stages with this rifle, but I always screwed the pooch in at least one of the other stages. Also looking for redemption. Have been toying with the idea of buying or building an 03A3.

Do you know what caused the jam?

How did you do in the other matches, and how did the rest of the gang do?

I'm unsure what caused the jam as the rifle has always been 100% reliable. I think it was just a fluke. I'm going to run some primer-less rounds through before Pembroke to see if anything pops up. 2 theories are I was either working the bolt too lightly OR the brass I was using, already 5x fired, maybe had some inconsistency in the extractor rim.

Cliff's notes on the match. Weather was nice for the entire time.

Day 1>
Shot the 1903 first as detailed above
Borrowed 1917 was second. Came out with a 96 / 95 / 79 with it. I fumbled around in Offhand for a few rounds but finally found the black. Ended up with a 270, so not bad.

Day 2>
Shot the Bula M14 first : 100 / 97 / 88. I told the guy scoring for me that I'm really not this good, the rifle just shoots itself.

I had to change squadding after the first relay and ended up having to shoot the Garand immediately after the Bula. Had I kept the same squadding, I would have had a break in between while the other guy shot and I scored.

Garand : 96 or 7 in Prone, then on my second shot of the rapids I lifted my head too early and the second shot went somewhere into orbit. I kept on, and put a nice ground of 8 shots right in the 8 ring at 2oclock. Doh. My first shot of offhand, I cross fired at the target I had shot the M14 on. I had moved down 2 targets from 27 -> 29, and they were both the same color. Offhand went downhill from there. Win some, loose some.

The rest of the group did well and some of the other guys received medals. A few new Garands may have found their way back to MA as well, but not in my car. They had Winchesters, IHCs, and the standard Service/Field Grade offerings as well as M1 and 1903 Drill rifles. I browsed (with no intention of buying) and nothing really caught my eye.

damnit...what was wrong with it? the barrel itself is junk, or it just won't time to your receiver? will criterion replace the barrel for you?

if you're stuck with the barrel, we could see if it would time on my Winchester (that i decided to not get rid of) and I could pay you for it to help you recoup a little of the cost of a new one.

that really sucks. a good deal gone bad really kinda puts a bad taste in your mouth about the whole thing.

@Dakar652 - The barrel came loose while I was shooting it and ultimately I could spin the barrel off by hand. The barrel will line up to the timing marks when it's hand tight, but there should be some draw. What could have happened was the gunsmith who installed the barrel couldn't time it, so he may have shaved some metal off the shoulder. It looks like the receiver face is unmolested, so that's good (Option B would have been removing some metal from the face of the receiver to make the barrel time!!!) Franco said the guy could have loctited it, which finally let go after a season of shooting. If the barrel does time on your receiver, we can certainly work something out....

Back
Top Bottom