• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ONLY 1 LEFT 2018 OCSA Pembroke ma NEXT NOV 4th M1 Garand Clinic and Modern Military

I've already run the Winchester M1 with HXP. 94 in slow prone, 85 rapid. Hope to see what the 'new' M1 will do- depends on how much work I finish on my motorcycle tonight. Sprag clutch (starter clutch) was toast, so a fairly big job involving pulling a case. Dealer would charge a fortune and Tufts already has my fortune for this month. I don't think I'll stay for Vintage- not looking to get stuck in Cape traffic forever.

Dakar riding with me, so may stay for vintage depending on what he's up to.

House rules. If you don’t want to stay we don’t have to. I haven’t checked the headspace officially in my M1917 Winnie since I swapped the bolt out, so maybe it’d be for the better to skip vintage? I’ll bring my rifle in the morning and we can shoot the breeze about it on the way there.

House rules. If you don’t want to stay we don’t have to. I haven’t checked the headspace officially in my M1917 Winnie since I swapped the bolt out, so maybe it’d be for the better to skip vintage? I’ll bring my rifle in the morning and we can shoot the breeze about it on the way there.
Franco might have a go no go set.

So funny how things change 10 years ago I was looking to decrease the aperture on my Enfield
enfield no4 mk2 rear peep sight.
Now im thinking its to small [angry2]eye sight!
shooting the enfield sunday with 303 HXP 1973

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWo4i1rAooU

Will be running my M1 with 1977 HXP

The Enfield did ok. I hit my goal on the slow fire prone keeping them all in the black which is about 5.75 MOA rapids I did my usual and shot a little low. I need to just trust my tendencies and come up a few minutes. Off hand, that's where I fail. The enfield fits me slightly better than the M1 but the wrist on the stock does not allow me a solid grip? I only got of 9 rounds in the rapids. I had not shot this rifle in rapids and my sweaty hand kept slipping off the bolt knob on the cock to close action. Gloves next time. The front sight is to thin for my likes. It was fun. I think with a little trigger work and some decent ammo I can muster up a better score. 256/300

Heres the bore. Has a fair amount of copper fouling.

Had a great time despite the heat. Drive went much quicker with Dakar652 riding shotgun. Forgot to give him back his two jars of 2520 that were actually in the truck but I guess they'll get back to him eventually.

rmlPyfCh.jpg

Both rifles shot well despite my screw-ups. Did OK with the M1, scoring 264 for the bronze. 79 in awfulhand wasn't very helpful. Tough to know where I was in the black on the stationary target, so shot a 94 which is a few points lower than my average in slow prone. Only dropped 3 points from that for a 91 in rapids, which means the point of impact is stable when the rifle heats up.

Helped to have pit service for the K31 in Vintage, but the stripper clip became soft in the heat and all the rounds fell out upon reload time. Had 4 saved rounds plus a couple rushed shots for 8's. The K31 seems to be a good fit for me in offhand- shot a 85 and no misses.

Big thanks to those who helped me out on my 2nd match here.

Can’t believe how welcoming and accomodating the group is.

Yes I loaded my 2 round clip upside down. Yes I still can’t sling up. Yes I don’t know how to score in the pits. Yes I’m still borrowing gear.

Score went down to a 255 but happy with experience aftera a better standing score (something I NEVER did while plinking with a crazy high power scope at 200-300 yds. at the range prior).

No bad attitudes at all here. Good people.

Anyone interested in this who has reservations, give it a go! Irons are both humbling and rewarding.

Today I learned...wear the damn jacket!

What happened? Did you have something thicker on last time?

Even though I do have a good jacket, the Pendleton shirt I wore under it really wasn't enough. A little in slow but definitely in rapids I could see my pulse causing the front sight to dance a little.

Yes I loaded my 2 round clip upside down. Yes I still can’t sling up. Yes I don’t know how to score in the pits. Yes I’m still borrowing gear.

Score went down to a 255 but happy with experience aftera a better standing score (something I NEVER did while plinking with a crazy high power scope at 200-300 yds. at the range prior).

Anyone interested in this who has reservations, give it a go! Irons are both humbling and rewarding.

I think most of us have done those things, if not worse. I was excited that I remembered to remove my single load clip before rapids.

Glad you are having a great time, and I agree about the great group dynamic. CMP matches are generally like that, though I've seen some of the high power crowd get a little overly serious.

We had another good crowd today, so it was nice to see that continue. Oh, a 255 is a decent score.

Last time I wore the jacket, but i gave it a shot without since it really didnt fit me. I definitively didnt feel as stable, and the rifle kept slipping after every shot. I found myself jerking the trigger after a while.

Hopefully next time ill do a bit better, fun tho, and barring the wife going into labor, ill be there in august.

Last time I wore the jacket, but i gave it a shot without since it really didnt fit me. I definitively didnt feel as stable, and the rifle kept slipping after every shot. I found myself jerking the trigger after a while.

Hopefully next time ill do a bit better, fun tho, and barring the wife going into labor, ill be there in august.
yup theres generally plenty of gear to use. If you get into it you will slowly build up the gear.
First you will find some free stuff or cheap as someone up grades then you end up with a pile of gear to haul around.....so wait if I borrow gear all I need to bring is money......damit your a genius!
scrores will come... off hand is where you loose the most you shot a 255 that's not terrible. that's only 10 points off coming into the trinkets today!
figure in 2016 there where 913 shooters for the M1 JCG as issued nationals 483 of them scored 254 or less . Then 209 shooters in the ten points between 255 and 265. then only 49 shooters broke past 280. winning score that year was a 293.

ohh and there is always mistakes made...im pretty sure I heard a "CLICK" at the beginning of the garand rapid match? not sure if it came from the left or the right.

This was my first shooting jacket. given to me by a old shooter who had retired it back in the late 80s. he bought it used at perry "at some point" so its 30 plus years old.
it did its job and I wore it for about 6 years before finding a deal on a used better jacket. Then I saved up some money for the jacket I got now. I don't shoot any better with it but it does provide some protection and stability. like the pad running along your ribs that you rest you elbow on....it does not slip! Plus the "pulse" is dampened greatly by the jacket. That's what it is for really.
VTOyVlWm.jpg

yup theres generally plenty of gear to use. If you get into it you will slowly build up the gear.
First you will find some free stuff or cheap as someone up grades then you end up with a pile of gear to haul around.....so wait if I borrow gear all I need to bring is money......damit your a genius!
scrores will come... off hand is where you loose the most you shot a 255 that's not terrible. that's only 10 points off coming into the trinkets today!
figure in 2016 there where 913 shooters for the M1 JCG as issued nationals 483 of them scored 254 or less . Then 209 shooters in the ten points between 255 and 265. then only 49 shooters broke past 280. winning score that year was a 293.

ohh and there is always mistakes made...im pretty sure I heard a "CLICK" at the beginning of the garand rapid match? not sure if it came from the left or the right.

This was my first shooting jacket. given to me by a old shooter who had retired it back in the late 80s. he bought it used at perry "at some point" so its 30 plus years old.
it did its job and I wore it for about 6 years before finding a deal on a used better jacket. Then I saved up some money for the jacket I got now. I don't shoot any better with it but it does provide some protection and stability. like the pad running along your ribs that you rest you elbow on....it does not slip! Plus the "pulse" is dampened greatly by the jacket. That's what it is for really.
VTOyVlWm.jpg

LOL, I think that was me. Extra practice dry fire, yeah that's it.

Did I really make it to 255? I thought I wouldn’t be past 200. Heck I flat out missed like 4 offhand shots!
mixed up the responses.... I don't recall your score. Although your lower score might be due to you thinking vs just shooting. Its amazing how 6" can mess with your score

pit work gets easier especially once you find the impact area. Its tough to see

the k31 is out..... i was supposed to pick up 500 rounds of gp11 today. When out of no where a bunch of debris comes out from the underside of the car in front of me.
Took out 2 tires, one sensor and when trying to get off to the side of the highway dinged the inside rim hard....fun stuff.
So i caught a large hunk of plastic with metal hanging off it in the sidewall (seen that in my mirror before it fell out.) Then at the shop seen another hunk in the front tire.
iDyAzQb.jpg

the other tires are worn enough that i need to do all 4.... even at my cost it sucked up more than i expected.
So no ammo and the 308 work will be put on hold also.
Tires came in while I was on vacation

View: https://imgur.com/a/MlZ91Jq

You order those via work or use something like TireRack?
Work , there was not much in way of deals on tire rack or others. Sometimes the special add ons can be a better deal than buying tires wholesale. Last time i bought tires there was a $100 mail in rebate plus a $50 gas card which came to about $35 per tire cheaper than whole sale.

Not a great deal last time I bought tires either, but had to have them as I got the 'red sticker' for wear on the edges. I think the inspection station was being overly picky but now with the cameras they are getting overly cautious.

I'll be back in time for the next match. Need to load more ammo for the '03 and Garand.

Not a great deal last time I bought tires either, but had to have them as I got the 'red sticker' for wear on the edges. I think the inspection station was being overly picky but now with the cameras they are getting overly cautious.

I'll be back in time for the next match. Need to load more ammo for the '03 and Garand.
Tires are not cheap for anyone not buying several 100k tires a year not $100k worth of tires 100k tires.
They are not a huge money maker for a small shop like mine. We do about 40 tires a month average.
We look for deals all the time , gas cards , gift cards , mail in rebates. Heck i even have gone to sears/sullivan tire ect because of some of the sales. Even local dealers have good prices now and again. Buddy got 5 tires for his truck at local ford place. Between coupon , mail in rebate and a in house discount sale they where running he came out $200 less than the best price we could get!

I was able to do a little rearranging tonight to start loading for spring field and M1. Im done with HXP for matches!
I might make Franco happy and load some not so poosaaayh ammo. Still going to cheap out on powder. Figure some reduced loads with 168s.? Maybe run 35 grains H4895 or a full charge of TrailBoss 19 grains of trailboss will run a 155 around 1400fps and belch smoke like a 70s transit bus!

Last edited:
I was able to do a little rearranging tonight to start loading for spring field and M1. Im done with HXP for matches!
I might make Franco happy and load some not so poosaaayh ammo. Still going to cheap out on powder. Figure some reduced loads with 168s.? Maybe run 35 grains H4895 or a full charge of TrailBoss 19 grains of trailboss will run a 155 around 1400fps and belch smoke like a 70s transit bus!

LOL! If you do that I'm going to ask Rich to put you next to and upwind of Franco. He'll still win but we'll learn some new combinations of 4-letter words. You've run TrailBoss in a Garand? It cycles OK? Accuracy? Actually sounds like fun.

I'm all set for Springfield loads and just bought 200 rounds of Creedmoor ammo to replenish brass. Seems like the LC is a little more picky to set up and not quite as robust as the Lapua brass, so after I shoot these new ones I'll have all the brass I need for about a year and a half. That Creedmoor shoots nice in the new Krieger barrel Franco Special.

Need to start loading .223 and all I have is LC with crimp. I just blow through the crimp for CMP Games but for XTC out to 600 I want to do it right. F-ing Cabelas has sh!t for stock these days, that's where I used to buy my Norma match ammo. I no longer have enough of that brass. They only had Black Hills match, and I'm not a fan of that stuff based on poor accuracy with their .308 match. Gun Parlor has Sig match .223 which is made with SMK 77's. I'll get a bunch of that, shoot some, and load the empties with 80's for the 600 yard stage. Planning on taking most of Friday off and will test the .223 at Granby where I can at least go to 500 yards.

Trail boss in a semi will hardly shake the op rod spring!
Only thing that i have used that will cycle cast in the M1 is H4895 at around 36-38 grains.

Trail boss in a semi will hardly shake the op rod spring!
Only thing that i have used that will cycle cast in the M1 is H4895 at around 36-38 grains.
Still working on a cast load in the M1 . I have another bullet design to try. Im not getting the accuracy i would like yet.
(Under 3moa would be nice) . I was getting sub 2moa with the 03a3 . Still like to run some of those ranch dog bullets through the 03a4 clone and see if i can get closer to 1moa

Back
Top Bottom