• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

online survival kits

Hey All,

I've been setting aside some $$ to start investing in a survival kit for two. Any advice? I saw one at survivalkitsonline.com and it seemed like a good starting place. I'd probably add more water/food/magnesium fire starter / ham radio/ multi tool (hatchet/shovel/saw).

With little effort, you can piece one together and come out better. You will end up with more quality components, and Tailor it to fit your exact needs.

First you need to figure out how you will be planning to use the kit. Will you be using it as a BOB? If so, you will want to start with a capable pack that will allow you to comfortably carry the weight you will need. Then, you can start to add in pieces as you see fit.

From experience, a BOB is an ever evolving thing. As you find new products, and test out the ones you have to find out what works and what doesn't, you will be changing things fairly often.

thanks Adam, that's basically exaclty what i'm looking for . A BoB. But i'm looking for a place to start, and evolve from there. I actually found a similar survival bag w/ same stuff for less. I will be adding some things that i htink i'll need. I just need a push in the right direction. I'm practically a new-born in regards to survival gear. What is better MRE or those Calorie paks? Are there classes where things like this are taught? I would love to be thrown in.

A good BoB will take you a little time to put together. I spent a few months getting mine together. First thing you want to do is find your self a good backpack you want to put everything in. Should be something that is comfortable for you to wear. One that has a hydration system in it is a plus.

Once you have that it's just a matter of time as you get the stuff you want in it. For me I've got the following in it.

Rain gear(pants and coat)
3 days food and water (Coast Guard life raft stuff. Very long shelf life and doen't spoil through different climate changes)
Length of rope
Good Knife
Flashlights - One with batterys and one you shake to get light)
Compass and Map of NE area
Windproof matches
Bic disposable lighter
Flint & Steel
Firestart (Used dryer lint in an old prescription bottle)
First Aid Kit
Water purification tablets
Flask
Small tarp (good for making shelter to keep you out of the rain)
Whistle
Tissues in small pack (good to use as TP if needed)
Wire saw
Snap glow stick
Bug spray
Emergency Candle
Emergency blanket (foil type)
1 box (50 rnds) spare ammo for my CCW
Small survival manual
Small toothbrush w/ small tube toothpaste
Hotel size bar of soap
small towel

I keep it in the back of my car. I also have another small bag where I keep a pair of boots, jeans, thermal underwear, short sleeve T-shirt, socks, fresh underwear, sweatshirt and a heavy fleece pull over.

If I get stranded or if the SHTF, I figure this should be enough to get me home if I have to hoof it.

You can get almost anything you need at an Army Navy Store. For some higher end stuff - LL Bean. For lower end - Walmart has an excellent supply. I have a camo back pack specifically designed for 3 day survival, however many people recommend to go with a non military style so you don't stick out.

It's a lot of fun putting together, so don't miss out by getting one ready made.

OK That's pretty much what I imagined when you started this thread. First and foremost, those packs will not work as a BOB. Those are just standard every day back packs, and you will wreck your back trying to carry any amount of weight in one of those.

You need a frame pack of some kind. I personally prefer an internal frame, as it keeps the pack close to your body, but an external frame pack has the advantage of keeping the pack away from your back to allow for better air circulation.

A frame pack will stay rigid, so you can keep the load distributed and the heavy stuff wont just go to the bottom of the pack and push on your lower back. For carrying any sort of weight for any distance it is a necessity, not a luxury.

This is the pack that I own. You can get it in solid black or tan if you want, but this pack has everything. Internal frame, pocket for a hydration bladder (better than those water drink boxes) plenty of storage, and uses the MOLLE (MOdular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) system so you can attach other pouches if you see the need, but it works great for tying things like a sleeping bag, and mat onto your pack.

Every other survival type site I go to, the folks insist that you have a multiple hundred dollar pack, and that everything else is shit. Well, as a test I took this pack, hung it onto a beam in my house by the shoulder straps, and started to load it with ammo. I put well over 200lbs of weight in that pack, then I just let it hang there for a week to see if it would hold up to the weight. It took it on the chin and asked for more.

I then took this pack, and loaded it up with about 70lbs of gear, put it on and started walking. Though I would never WANT to hump 70lbs of gear, I felt rather comfortable doing it with this pack, and the thick padded kidney belt kept the load securely against my back, and kept all that weight from shifting.

I have walked around Disney with 2 kids wearing a standard back pack with all the "stuff" kids seem to need, and that only being 15 or so lbs, I would rather have a pack like this with 50lbs than carry around ANY weight in a plain old back pack. You'd be surprised how much difference a good pack can make.

As for your other question about the MRE's or the calorie bars... Honestly you might want to keep both. The calorie bars are nice to keep you going while on the move, but nothing will bring your spirits up like a hot meal after a long day. You might also want to consider getting some freeze dried single or double portion packages as well. They are super light weight, don't take up much space, and are surprisingly good.

As for water, unless you are in the desert, there is water everywhere. You just need the equipment to clean that water, but remember with a good pack with a compartment for a hydration bladder, will have you starting out with 2-3 liters anyway.

Those are a couple of things to think about. I'll try to get a couple of pictures of my pack and contents, and post them up...

Last edited:
That would be great. I am extremely new to this, and have been trying to do as much preliminary research as possible. I've begun doing food-storage at home, on a small scale. (extra ravioli cans/veggies/potatos/etc). i will evenutally invest in at least a 3 month food dry-food spply #10 cans for that SHTF scenario, but that will take some time and putting money aside. We all would hope for the government to help, but we all know how that usually plays out [wink]. For the time being, i would like something that would hold me over for at least 4-5 days. MREfood.com looked like great site for food related items like cal-packs, MRE's, and even freeze dried food supply. If you could post what you'd recomennd in a BOB, that woud be great.

Adam, do you have kids? Are they accounted for in your kit?

Thoughts of putting one together have crossed my mind but when I think about packing for a family with two toddler girls I find it overwhelming and think a plan to stick whatever it is out at home to be more prudent.

What are you guy's thoughts on families in regards to these kits?

Adam, do you have kids? Are they accounted for in your kit?

Thoughts of putting one together have crossed my mind but when I think about packing for a family with two toddler girls I find it overwhelming and think a plan to stick whatever it is out at home to be more prudent.

What are you guy's thoughts on families in regards to these kits?

They do have kits for more than one person available. These bug out bags aren't the answer to every situation. Chances are, if SHTF, you wouldn't want to necessary go hiking off into the woods first hand.

You should most definitely think and plan for anyone else you are taking responsibility for. I would assume that you have a wife/GF that gave you those two children, so you should be setting up a pack for her to carry as well. The way I had it setup is that I had all the heavy survival necessities, while Kim's pack was setup to carry clothing and incidentals for her and the kid.

As for the food, please take a look at MRE Depot If you use the code (warrifles) at checkout you will get a 21% discount off your entire order. They are great folks to work with, and they are setting up some new and exciting things for LTS (long term storage) food this year. As for the Mountain House packages, you should take a look at WalMart. They have the packets in stock and on the shelves most of the time. You will be able to buy them a couple at a time until you have what you need. Plus, you get to try them out and see which ones you like.

Are there courses being offered giving the basic lessons on preparedness / survival during a major crisis? If there is, I would like to know about anyone, and I'd be interested in attending. Maybe we could do a NES survival day class or something?

Hi everyone,

I believe you need 3 survival kits. A small fanny pack one to be carried in any unknown situation, a larger duffle bag/framed backpack one for the car, and one for the home which does not need to be completely compiled into one location. I do not consider myself a survivalist but, rather, a realist. Read the news paper. At any time or any day disaster can hit. Why not be prepared? It is just another insurance policy!

About 14 years ago I walked into the forest behind my uncle’s house in Maine. I turned around wrong and got lost. It took me 8 hours to find a logging road and then another bunch of hours to get out onto a road and civilization. I learned from that mistake. The biggest thing was a compass. I have never walked into the woods since without a fanny pack survival kit. In it I keep: space blanket (the $2 kind), matches, lighter, magnesium fire starter, mini fishing kit, 2 bottles water, iodine water treatment, 2 light sticks, 3 high carb snacks, needle/thread, poncho (the $2 kind), mini first aid kit, Deet, dental floss, aluminum foil, snare wire, trash bag, plastic bag, wind up flashlight, surgical gloves, tape, safety pin, S&P/bullion, knife, 22 cal mini pistol (50 rds ammo), mirror, 50 ft light rope, mini hand warmers, 3 days of meds (including narcotics), and a metal cup. This kit is small, light, and is a simple fanny pack. Any more and it would be a burden and I would need to pick and choose when I bring it with me. This size I just bring it.

In my car I keep a more extensive kit because you never know when you might break down or when the SHTF. Mine includes the above plus a shovel, axe, rope, flares, more ammunition for my carry firearm, Food, water, extensive first aid kit (including an Epipen, antibiotics, prednisone, Benadryl, splints, 14 day supply of my prescription meds) blanket, spare winter coat/boots, wind up radio, flash lights, tarp, $20 plus an assortment of coins for vending machines. Plus the various auto things like fix a flat, jumpers, etc.

And at home I keep 6 months of food, 25 gals of water (the hot water heater and radiator have water also), bleach and filtering dev ice (lake is right up the street), tons of toilet paper, case trash bags, dozens of candles, blankets, silver and gold coins (only a few as I’m a working man and not rich!), 3 spare gas cans for gas grill, etc, etc. Enough to survive if there is a breakdown of society. I will leave my firearm supply for another thread but my survival stash is for my family and me and I will do whatever it takes to protect my stash from those who would want it or those who would do me and mine harm. It is also always a good idea to keep the gas more than ½ full in the car.

A few things that I included in a BoB that many don't think of , and don't take up much space .

Basic lock pick set ( and booklet , you never know)
Condoms( they hold a lot of water and work good for securing bandages)
Coffee filters ( good pre filtration of water)
Dental floss ( fishing line, stitches)

Plus I have most of the other "essentials" mentioned earlier .

Something is better than nothing and starting out with a pre-fab is not a bad way to start - at least it will get the ball rolling. Everyone is right however, you'll have more fun building one on your own. It's almost like those first aid kits - they seem really neat and a great bargain - "163 Pieces". Trouble is, you get a few essentials and 100 hand wipes...[wink] I have a GHB, (Get Home Bag) in my car which has enough supplies, (food, gear and ammo) to keep me okie dokie for 3 days or more. My BOB is a little more involved and is really a "last ditch", as I plan mostly on bugging in. One thing you should consider - which many don't, is a "kit within a kit". I keep a small Molle pouch with several survival/first aid items in it and within that, a large prescription bottle with some redundant items. Reason being, gear gets lost - feces occurs. I keep the prescription bottle in my pocket and the Molle on my belt or in my Arktis. It's redundant in all my gear, (from my ATV to my range bag, to my GHB/BOB) - even my glove box, (Altoids kit). If I have to drop gear and run, or cannot get to my bag for some reason, I have something on me to survive with....

I believe the single most important pieve of equipment is a class A permit and have a sidearm with you at all times. From there you build what you want. My kit evolves all the time. It is a lot of fun building your own and adding and changing things around. A good friend of mine and I have a little competition going. He has me beat so far because he has a portable generator at home. How cool is that when the SHTF. I on the other hand have more ammunition than was used in all of WW2.

Mark, what sort of supplies to you keep in it? If you don't mind sharing, that is.

Not at all. I have a small backpack which AdamMA turned me onto from CTD. In it, I have the following:

- First Aid Kit (Pre-Fab Sawyer with Kwick Clot, sutures and Israeli bandage added)

- 2 MRE's

- 1 Coast Guard Bar

- 1 Zip-Loc with hard candy, small Slim Jims, Cliff Shots, pouch of StarKist Salmon, spices, sugar, coffee, creamer.

- 1 PUR Hiker Water Filter

- 1 Silva Compass

- 1 Topographic Map

- 1 Change socks

- 1 Pair North Face convertible pants

- 1 North Face button down microfiber shirt

- 1 Set Remington poly long underwear, (thin and warm and cheap)

- 1 Pac-Tec rain suit (London Fog)

- 1 Swiss Alpenflage Poncho (great for shelter)

- 1 Swiss Army Knife, (Mechanic)

- 1 Folding Saw

- 1 Cheap-type Leatherman look alike

- 1 75-foot length of para cord

- 1 fire kit, (matches, BlastMatch, Bic lighter, tinder, firestarters)

- 1 Signal mirror

- 50 rounds of 38 Special Speer GDHP 135 +P, (in the mag pouch)

- 1 redundant mini survival kit, (fishing line, Slim Jims, fish hooks, sinkers, foil, pain reliever, water tabs, mini Swiss Army knife, mini Bic, matches, tinder, small first aid items, bullion cubes, hard candy, coffee packet, sugar packet, salt and pepper packets).

Just about everything that will fit into a Zip-Loc, is. Those are great for hauling H2O etc. I also have a bunch of stuff in my hatch that I can use as well, (road flares, tools, etc), but this is a good bag for getting home - may even be a bit over the top. The scenario I have is that a major natural/unnatural disaster will occur and I will be miles from home and have to abandon my car. I have things cached in spots as well and my first mission would be to get home, with cache points to fall back on if I can't make it. My plan also had a trunk rifle in the mix, but since that's bad juju here, (not sure how to do it legally), I just stick to extra ammo for my CCW and call it a day...

MassMark, What do you have at home for supplies once you get there? I want to get a generator and a chainsaw but think I am pretty much covered to survive 6 months or so with my family if the time ever came. I have a kickass first aid kit also and have made it a point to stock up on antibiotics as well.

MassMark, What do you have at home for supplies once you get there? I want to get a generator and a chainsaw but think I am pretty much covered to survive 6 months or so with my family if the time ever came. I have a kickass first aid kit also and have made it a point to stock up on antibiotics as well.

Home is where the heart is...My family is my greatest supply.. [wink] I have food stocks, more ammo, more weapons and more stuff... [smile]

A generator is a must have for me. I have a 5500-watt generator and a breaker box for it. When the power goes out, it will run my well/spring pumps, furnace, chest freezer, refrigerator, one overhead light and one outlet. I have a portable stove, lights, candles and flashlights. I do have food stocks and recently purchased some of the Costco food buckets, (not too bad). After that, it's the squirrels in the yard and anything else edible... A chainsaw is a must have for me as well. Firewood being necessary, as is the option of dropping trees...

Something most folks don't think of is to have some black trash bags (about 32 gallon size).

You can make a rain poncho out oif them, use them to keep stuff dry, even make a crude shelter out of them (though they're better at making your shelter waterproof).

They're also light and compact.

Something most folks don't think of is to have some black trash bags (about 32 gallon size).

You can make a rain poncho out oif them, use them to keep stuff dry, even make a crude shelter out of them (though they're better at making your shelter waterproof).

They're also light and compact.

Excellent point. Those heavy gage contractor bags, (55 gal) might be neat. I have a whole box - think I'll fold one up and toss it in. Thanks for the idear...

i keep a large box of trash bags at home as well. When the SHTF (no pun) the bags will be needed to get rid of all the waste.

if you go to Walmart or Target you can get aponcho for $1.99. The throw away kind. Takes up no space in the survival kit. For the same $2.00 you can get a space blanket as well. The space blanket, a little floss and a couple branches you have a tent.

Walmart also has a fanny pack for $10. Very sturdy and 2 sports bottles come with it. My small survival kit fits perfect in the fanny pack. It is the perfect "just in case" survival kit for when you just go for a walk in the woods.

I opted to not put my little 22 in it. Makes me too nervouse to leave it in the trunk 24X7 (MA has tough laws) especially where I always have the Glock or PPK with me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom