• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Online LTC Classes

Are there any MA approved online LTC classes? It would make it easier to convince the wife to get hers.

Citation?

I know of no requirement to handle a gun. I KNOW the class I took in 2011 had no such requirement.

I am not aware of an online class.

I have heard of classes that have you handle several handguns and long guns but the class I took, no guns were handled or even present. The only thing we handled was a piece of scary brass that was passed around. We were supposed to use a handgun "simulator" but other tenants were in the building that day and apparently it would have been too noisy for them. [rofl]

No. You have to physically handle a gun and practice loading and unloading.

Nope. My class was basically the cop telling everyone how to apply for the license. Barely covered any safety rules. Certainly no guns.

If she can't be bothered to take a quick course...what makes you think she'll want a license? The course is by far the least crappy part of the process.

Nope. My class was basically the cop telling everyone how to apply for the license. Barely covered any safety rules. Certainly no guns.

Do you mean to actually tell me that a cop here in Massachusetts doesn’t know what they’re doing regarding State mandated firearms training? Or maybe they intentionally cut corners because they’re lazy?? Here’s my shocked face: :eek:

Do you mean to actually tell me that a cop here in Massachusetts doesn’t know what they’re doing regarding State mandated firearms training? Or maybe they intentionally cut corners because they’re lazy?? Here’s my shocked face: :eek:
It's not just the class I took. I've never met a person that went through the state's generic firearm's safety class and handled a gun. Why are you doubling down on your stupid comment?

It's not just the class I took. I've never met a person that went through the state's generic firearm's safety class and handled a gun. Why are you doubling down on your stupid comment?

If that’s the case then you’ve never met anyone that worked with a competent instructor who follows the rules. There are about 30 approved firearm safety curriculums in Massachusetts. It’s not really so generic.

Are there any MA approved online LTC classes? It would make it easier to convince the wife to get hers.
Here's an incentive; You come from the range, find a shell casing in you hoodie, put it on the table and forget it then go to the store. Cat caught in tree, 911 called, officer comes to door, another dangerous felon off the streets, Maura gets a raise. I know, no pigs wolfs or bears.

No. You have to physically handle a gun and practice loading and unloading.

If that’s the case then you’ve never met anyone that worked with a competent instructor who follows the rules. There are about 30 approved firearm safety curriculums in Massachusetts. It’s not really so generic.

I've asked before, but you ignored the question.

There is no "rule" stating that you must handle a gun.

You're making this shit up, and misinforming people.

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO HANDLE A GUN TO GET A LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS IN MASSACHUSETTS.

There isn't a "generic state class". There's like a bunch of different classes that are accepted. Some have live fire, some don't, some have different things in them, etc. Some may require handling, some don't.

-Mike

Yes, but not all of them necessarily require handling a gun to pass the course.

-Mike

Are you really implying that Worcester (among other cities) isn't following the rules for issuing safety certificates without handling a gun? Sounds like a pretty big scandal, time to delete this thread. :rolleyes:

The two most common courses are NRA Basic Pistol, and NRA Home Firearm Safety.

The law says that the courses must be taught in their entirety to qualify for a MA safety cert.

Both BP and HFS have extensive gun handling (although HFS has no live fire, and only covers UN-loading guns)

A hunter's Ed course will not qualify you for an LTC <-- this is wrong. See MGL C. 140 §131P

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've asked before, but you ignored the question.

There is no "rule" stating that you must handle a gun.

You're making this shit up, and misinforming people.

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO HANDLE A GUN TO GET A LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS IN MASSACHUSETTS.

The rule is that one must pass a state approved mandatory training curriculum. I have yet to see one of those approved curriculums that does not require handling a gun. If you can cite one that doesn’t then I’m proven wrong if not you can type in caps all day long until you’re blue in the face.

Are you really implying that Worcester (among other cities) isn't following the rules for issuing safety certificates without handling a gun? Sounds like a pretty big scandal, time to delete this thread. :rolleyes:

Look on your safety certification. It will have the course curriculum number as assigned by the state. LTC-007 or etc. If the curriculum requires handling guns which it most likely will then the answer to your question is yes.

Snora" said:
you really implying that Worcester (among other cities) isn't following the rules for issuing safety certificates without handling a gun? Sounds like a pretty big scandal, time to delete this thread.
Look on your safety certification. It will have the course curriculum number as assigned by the state. LTC-007 or etc. If the curriculum requires handling guns which it most likely will then the answer to your question is yes.

Just to pile on:

LTC-002 (NRA Basic Pistol)
LTC-003 (NRA Personal Protection)
LTC-007 (NRA Home Firearm Safety)

These all require gun handling.

They don't all require *LIVE FIRE*, but they all require handling at least one gun. BP requires at least two. HFS requires quite a few more than that .

There isn't a "generic state class". There's like a bunch of different classes that are accepted. Some have live fire, some don't, some have different things in them, etc. Some may require handling, some don't.

-Mike

In addition to the "list" of courses, MGL specifically allows Hunter Ed certificates to qualify for the LTC. There is NO requirement in Hunter Ed to handle guns and the Hunter Ed class I took had only the instructor holding up each type of long gun (only) and telling us what it was from the dark corner of the room. The students sitting in the back (there were 42 students) probably couldn't even see the gun from their seat. Many chiefs will refuse to accept the Hunter Ed certificate in spite of the law and I do understand why they do that.

The two most common courses are NRA Basic Pistol, and NRA Home Firearm Safety.

The law says that the courses must be taught in their entirety to qualify for a MA safety cert.

Both BP and HFS have extensive gun handling (although HFS has no live fire, and only covers UN-loading guns)

A hunter's Ed course will not qualify you for an LTC

WRONG! Read the MGL and CMR on this. HE is specifically INCLUDED.

Actually by volume of students, MFS trains more students than probably all the other instructors in MA combined and they don't use NRA courses, they use LTC-020 (last I knew). I have co-taught LTC-020 before with another instructor who had a license from the developer of said course and we had each student handle the guns, but that course can be "customized" so I don't think we can say that every instructor does it that way or not.

LTC-001 was developed by Glidden for the MCOPA and does not include any range time. I once saw the curriculum but don't recall if it did or didn't require gun handling.

Just to pile on:

LTC-002 (NRA Basic Pistol)
LTC-003 (NRA Personal Protection)
LTC-007 (NRA Home Firearm Safety)

These all require gun handling.

They don't all require *LIVE FIRE*, but they all require handling at least one gun. BP requires at least two. HFS requires quite a few more than that .

Yes, when I teach LTC-007, I bring 12 or 13 different guns that every student gets to handle. I also include live fire of 4 handguns + 3 rifles in my HFS course (50 rds total).

LTC-003 I have been told was the very old NRA course before they split it into PPIH and PPOH. I'm unsure if either could be used for obtaining a LTC. I know that I will never teach those courses to a new shooter. For safety reasons, I don't want a new shooter moving with a gun in their hands . . . l love teaching those courses but to experienced shooters only.

In addition to the "list" of courses, MGL specifically allows Hunter Ed certificates to qualify for the LTC. There is NO requirement in Hunter Ed to handle guns and the Hunter Ed class I took had only the instructor holding up each type of long gun (only) and telling us what it was from the dark corner of the room. The students sitting in the back (there were 42 students) probably couldn't even see the gun from their seat. Many chiefs will refuse to accept the Hunter Ed certificate in spite of the law and I do understand why they do that.
milktree said:
... A hunter's Ed course will not qualify you for an LTC

WRONG! Read the MGL and CMR on this. HE is specifically INCLUDED.

Indeed. I was mistaken:

MGL C.140 §131P <--link to the law

mgl C.140 §131P said:
...satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section.

Back
Top Bottom