Online Classes?

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
Hi guys.
Any suggestions for online classes?
I checked for local courses but the only one I saw on arrl was in Natick which is a hike for me.

I’m thinking of taking the class and signing up my cousin for a class for Christmas.
Thanks!

Although I took a class, we used the ARRL book and Dave Casler's videos that track the book. Plus we signed up on QRZ.om (the Zed) to take practice tests.
Go to Amazon for the books. [It seems that Amazon is selling only the outdated books. Beware!]
These are the books you need (Technician first and then General if you pass Technician).
ARRL Ham Radio License Manual 4th Edition - ARRL :: Licensing, Education & Training :: ARRL Ham Radio License Manual 4th Edition (Spiral Bound)

ARRL General Class License Manual 9th Edition - ARRL :: Licensing, Education & Training :: ARRL General Class License Manual 9th Edition

Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ Ham Radio

Good luck.

Last edited:
I used the arrl manual, and watched some good YouTube videos from W4EEY. I find an instructor helps me understand the book better than just reading.

I just got my Technician license with a three-step process:
1) Use Kindle Unlimited and read the technician 2018-2022 Technician study guide by Craig "Buck" K4IA
2) Use the online practice test at HamExam.org: Free Amateur Radio Practice Tests with Flash Cards (I registered for the site, allowing them to give me a variable selection of questions from the question pool,
and with a comprehensive grading of my attempts (overall grade, and breakdown by element/subelement/question.
3) Use the ARRL's "find a license exam in your area" at Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area to take the test.

Feedback on above:
I like the style of Buck K4IA's books - present only the CORRECT answers - sometimes in story form, sometimes in formula, sometimes with a memory tip.
I got the Technician e-book for free (Kindle Unlimited) on Oct 21 this year - read it, used the hamexam.org site to take 10 practice exams (one per day) and passed each one,
sat for exam on Sunday November 3 in Natick, and passed the exam. Received email notification of my technician-class license on Nov 7.

After holiday, gonna repeat the process for the test for General. Once that is done, I'll start considering what comes next - only equipment right now is a 5W h/t.

Because why limit myself on only ONE way to spend lots of money (firearms, training, etc) when I can add antenna(s) + base stations + who-knows-what-else??

Keep in mind that a 5W BaoFeng Handie-Talkie probably won't do squat for you - that was my first radio ... about $10k ago ;)

I can see a 2M (144Mhz) repeater on a mountain peak <5mi away and can activate it - but there's seldom anyone home. Just a few old guys who might do a radio check for you. If there's a club repeater nearby, and you join the club, you might get more contacts on 2M (or 70cm). QRP (low power) is frustrating for beginners.

A TM-D710GA | Amateur Radio | Communications | KENWOOD USA is pretty good for a base 2M/0.7M and has APRS and a TNC (all mumbo-jumbo words for more ways to get signals digitally). It can run a nice Go-Box too Quicksilver Radio | Ham Radio Store

Might as well get a 100W HF base-station right off! A Yaesu FT-991A is a nice option that can be a base/portable Welcome to Yaesu.com Or ICOM IC-7100 IC-7100 HF/VHF/UHF Transceiver - Features - Icom America

There are cheaper options too.

Just like guns and optics, 50% of you $$$ should be spent on an antenna system.

Back
Top Bottom