• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Online Businesses to Avoid - Omaha Steaks

I believe in the terms and services of Amazon Prime you can get 1 month free of prime every time they fail to deliver within the two days (up to a free year I think). Might be worth looking into further.
Yup. Due to their Sunday delivery duck-ups for !e, I've received several "one free month" her the past two years. You're best off using the call. Option since the people on chat suck ass.

"You get $200 worth of steaks for only $50" and you also expect them to arrive on time?

No, he got $50 worth of steaks for $200. Omaha steaks are really, really lousy. Any and every day of the week you can get better FRESH, not frozen steaks (chicken, burgers, re-stuffed potatoes, you name it) for FAR less at any local supermarket. They don't grade their steaks. They are far from "prime." My dad sent out Omaha Steaks boxes last year, and my brothers and I commented to each other about what a total rip-off they are. I know he spent well over $120 apiece on our boxes, and if you took the list of what was in there, and went to Stop & Shop, you could re-create the order for about $29. Really.

I called Omaha Steaks and "thanked" them for the order, but asked them to please remove me from their mailing list. Once you're a giver or recipient, you'll get catalogs every few weeks FOREVER, unless you call and ask not to get them.

Omaha Steaks aren't really necessary in 2018. If you know what you are buying and learn your cuts, you can get what they have at the grocery store these days.

BUT. . . . . I DID score a s-ton of filet's about 15 years ago. My girls grew up on filet mignon. I stacked my entire chest freezer with them.

I forget what was going on. It was after the economic downturn of the early 2000's. So maybe early 2002, or possibly 2003.

Omaha was sitting on a ton of meat they couldn't sell. The economy crapped out and they were stuck high and dry.

So they offered a discount on filet. Then I got a 25% off NO-MATTER-WHAT coupon. I think it was 4 of their awesome styrofoam containers FULL of individually wrapped filets. I was in for about 18-24 months before I ran out. (My girls were small so they'd get a slice off of the 2 steaks I'd cook for my wife and I.)

I might have paid $3-4/lb.

I never get filet anymore because it costs too much. I watch for the price of ribeye at Hannafords or BJ's. I'll get a whole roast or a half-roast and slice my own steaks. That works for me.

Pork prices are CRAZY cheap these days. So I've been eating a lot more of that. Just because I can make a huge meal for $15 for a family of 5. I can afford to do more, but I love doing a $15 meal. Either grilled chops (that I cut myself from a boneless roast - more mix of muscle the better - sometimes called the ribeye end) with Beurre Blanc sauce (to die for - basically buddah with some flavoring) or a smoked boneless roast with apricot-cherry chutney. It's all about the sauce. (That sauce MIGHT cost almost as much as a 3lb roast these days. Dried apricots and cherries, ginger, and other fixings. It's 1/2 bag of apricots and cherries.)

Or ribs.

Or pulled pork.

I ordered my UDS for the Lake yesterday. The accessories kit shipped today. The drum? Hopefully soon.

Costco beef is da bomb! Very reasonably priced, excellent variety of top cuts, and even Prime quality if desired.

Cooked a prime rib roast last night on the Weber. Damn it was good!!!

got the omaha steak tips as an add-on to a first time order. they were the size of sugar cubes.

@Dennis in MA I get the whole Angus tenderloin primal from Hannaford when it goes on sale for $10.99/# (when it does so close enough to when I need to make a roast from most of it). Back when I lived close enough to a Restaurant Depot location, I would get it from them for less per pound (about $8 IIRC). There were a couple of times that I also picked up a whole ribeye primal cut too (from RD) and made my own steaks from that (last one was about $6/#, but several years ago now).

I've not seen Angus beef at BJ's when I've looked. I have seen it at SAMs club (when I was a member there) for a decent rate.

I do like taking steaks from what's left of the tenderloin piece (after getting the roast out of it). There are even times when I get one just to make steaks (when I'm out of it and it goes on sale). Granted the cost difference (between on and off sale) is all of $2, it's more the principle of the thing. ;) Either way, I'm a firm believer of cutting your own steaks when at all possible. For me, these days, it's more a matter of portion size control than anything else (the days of having a pound, or larger, ribeye are gone for me). Plus, I do use every bit of it except for the unneeded fat and silver skin. What I don't make into steaks, or tips, gets tossed into the freezer and then used to make ground beef for something like chili.

Hmmm. There's a RD in Avon. My sister says it's awesome. I might have to take a drive up some day.

Do you still need a membership to buy anything there? I seem to recall there were a couple of NES group trips to the RD in Needham(?)

Omaha Steaks are the worst!!! the meat is not anywhere as good as what you can get at any super market. Over priced and not very tasty and small size on everything.

There's an Omaha Steaks store in CT. Any time I fancy one of their steaks I usually just go there and buy it directly and take it home.

Do you still need a membership to buy anything there? I seem to recall there were a couple of NES group trips to the RD in Needham(?)

Unless they've changed things you do... BUT, it's crazy easy to get a membership (was free when I did it). I was the member that ran the 'group buy' to that location. Not sure if my membership is still good or not.
Hmmm. There's a RD in Avon. My sister says it's awesome. I might have to take a drive up some day.
The person that put me onto the place called it "Mecca"... [rofl2] Basically, it has pretty much anything you would need for a restaurant, including TONS of food stuff, at really good pricing (again, last time I was there).

If you guys want to buy really, really good meat online. Look at Snake River Farms. I've spent almost as much money there as I have on guns. In fact for Father's Day / my birthday, I just bought two of their American Waygu 1.5" thick ribeyes. I cannot wait. I've never tried their Wagyu, but it gets great reviews.

You guys want a steak tip? (no not that kind) Next time you want some cube steak, have your local market run a couple thin cuts from the back of a rump steak and have it put through the cube machine. They are really exceptional.

See, I find it is way cheaper to go shoot a deer. Keeps the freezer stocked all year, and if you butcher it yourself it only costs you the price of a hunting license and the round or two (or 15 if you're my brother) you used to bring it down and about two days of time.

Hmmm. The RD site says I need a business license and tax stamp yada yada. It's like buying a machine gun for crying out loud!

Hmmm. The RD site says I need a business license and tax stamp yada yada. It's like buying a machine gun for crying out loud!
When I joined it was a tax ID number (which I actually had, and you can get for free)... As I mentioned, it's been years since I went to a RD since none are really convenient to where I am.

Geez. I'd have to dig pretty hard to find my TaxID#. LOL Incorporated about 25 years ago. I know it by heart, but pulling the original paperwork??? lol

I've eaten omaha steak one time and wasn't impressed. it reminded me of a steak cut from an eye round roast. there's no fat on it so they age it to tenderize the meat. I just felt I could duplicate the fillet by buying a roast and slicing puny 1/2 - 3/4" steaks from it. other opinions may vary.

Back
Top Bottom