• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Online Businesses to Avoid - Omaha Steaks

We received gift box several years ago....meats were just ok, no comparison to Butcher Boy.
never really impressed with omaha steaks. an old couple i knew use to get them on one of those subscription deals. the steaks they got seemed like they just got an eye roast and sliced it into thin steaks. very little fat so not much taste. they use to come in a styrofoam coolers & dry ice, ups would leave them on their lawn. the old guy use to keep the coolers in his garage stacked one into the other and toss the covers in hefty bags. anyone needed a cooler quick...for fishing, a party, etc. knew where to go. the coolers were the better part of the deal as far as i was concerned.

This is a perfect example of how Amazon is f***ing up the country.

During the non-holiday season they are trying to use their own delivery drivers and bypass UPS. Now in the season when their drivers can’t handle it, they dump their overflow onto UPS.

UPS has not built their fleet to deal with this....why would they...they have been dumped by Amazon as a primary shipper!

The rest of us small companies have had to deal with delayed inbound and outbound UPS because Amazon had flooded the distribution channel with chinese made shit.

Let me say that again Amazon is using their volume to f*** up the distribution channel for all the non-Amazon business in this country. Many small ecommerce companies have had their reputation take a hit this season because UPS was overloaded.

During the non-holiday season they are trying to use their own delivery drivers and bypass UPS. Now in the season when their drivers can’t handle it, they dump their overflow onto UPS.

UPS has not built their fleet to deal with this....why would they...they have been dumped by Amazon as a primary shipper!

The rest of us small companies have had to deal with delayed inbound and outbound UPS because Amazon had flooded the distribution channel with chinese made shit.

Let me say that again Amazon is using their volume to f*** up the distribution channel for all the non-Amazon business in this country. Many small ecommerce companies have had their reputation take a hit this season because UPS was overloaded.

Last week I ordered something mildly perishable from a company on the other coast. They diligently packed it and handed it off to UPS in their usual outbound pickup on Wednesday, 2-day air to be delivered to me Friday. UPS didn't get it into their system until after eight Wednesday night - I'm guessing cuz the driver was bogged. Didn't make the cutoff for two day. Therefore, I won't be getting it until TUESDAY. Hopefully it'll be OK. [thinking]

My wife wanted to give her aunt and uncle a different gift, and decided to buy a meat package from Omaha Steaks.

The first red flag was placing the order...MASSIVE pop up upsells after every click

The second thing that was a red flag was the overpromise of "guaranteed" delivery, which we paid for.

The receipient needed to be home to get the package, so my wife's aunt stayed home all day yesterday waiting for the package...it did not show up.

As of now, the package has not shown up. Called them and told me to talk to UPS.

I added them to the online businesses to avoid, like Williams Sanoma and Overstock.com
What kind of problems did you have with Overstock?

I ordered there once and it was fine (3 years ago).

My wife wanted to give her aunt and uncle a different gift, and decided to buy a meat package from Omaha Steaks.

The first red flag was placing the order...MASSIVE pop up upsells after every click

The second thing that was a red flag was the overpromise of "guaranteed" delivery, which we paid for.

The receipient needed to be home to get the package, so my wife's aunt stayed home all day yesterday waiting for the package...it did not show up.

As of now, the package has not shown up. Called them and told me to talk to UPS.

I added them to the online businesses to avoid, like Williams Sanoma and Overstock.com

You mean the fact that their steaks are awful isn't enough?

If you want really good steaks, try Flannerybeef.com or Lobels.com (both are expensive and the latter is VERY expensive). For cheaper steaks, but bad butchering, go to Costco and get the prime steaks - or get the whole muscle and cut them yourself.

My boss (20 years ago) sent a package from Omaha Steaks. Meat was OK, but playing with the dry ice was a blast. The shipping container also made a great cooler. Better than any other cooler I had at the time.

I looked at the Omaha Steaks thing a while back, then decided to pass. More due to how stupid expensive they were. IF you know what you're doing, you can get [quality] primal cuts (fairly easily) and make a lot better steaks, and roasts, for significantly less $$.

Prime example: Every Jewish holiday we have a roast beef for dinner. After a few holidays trying different cuts, we ended up on a tenderloin roast. Of course, since I'm not a mouth breather, and know how to use a knife, I get the whole tenderloin, trim it up, cut the roast out of it, season and put it in to cook (with a probe in it so we know when it's done). We get the Black Angus tenderloin, since it has the best flavor (IOO) and you can usually get it on sale for a bit less close enough to the time where we need it ($10.99/#, regular price is $12.99/#). Still makes for a ~$90-$100 piece of meat for just one meal for 6-8. I usually end up getting a piece that's at least 7-1/2# to over 8# when I pick one up. I am rather selective on this since I need to get the roast out of it, plus some steaks before the rest goes to be ground and used in something else. Such as chili, a marinara sauce, or whatever else I decide to use it in.

I've also gotten whole boneless ribeye primal cuts before, made steaks, vacuum packed and then froze them before. The place I used to go for that, when I lived close enough, had a price per pound of about half of what you would pay at the grocery store.

If you know which side of the blade is sharp, have sharp knives, have more than a few living brain cells left, you can learn how to do that too. There's plenty of information out there to show you how. I've been doing it for so many decades that I cannot recall where I found the information. It was probably something my father showed me many years back (he's been gone for over 20 years now). Biggest thing you need to do is remove any of the "silver skin" on the meat. Once that's done, trim a good amount of the fat off (depending on the cut) and you're GtG.

Also, keep in mind that meats in the "cryo-bag" keep for a long time in the fridge without issue. The last piece I picked up was in the fridge for at least 3 weeks before it was converted into a meal. I even left the remains in the fridge (in a ziplock bag) for about a week before finally making steaks and such from what remained (did that last night).

I received a large package of Omaha steaks several years ago a day or two before Christmas. Only problem was they weren't for me. They were for someone else across town. Same number different road. Typical UPS f-up.

I called UPS to let them know. They said it would be 3-4 days before they would have someone come pick it up for re-delivery. I explained to them that this was a refrigerated/frozen package and that it wouldn't last and that it was their screw up. They really couldn't give a rats ass - not about the customer, the business, nobody but themselves. Since then I never use UPS if I can avoid it.

Oh, and how good were those steaks??? I don't know. I played Santa that day and delivered them myself.

That may be the case in your AO, but 30 miles outside of Boston more often than not my Amazon deliveries come from USPS instead of UPS. Since I'm <20 miles from Amazons Stoughton facility I'd prefer to see packages come directly from an Amazon driver than waiting for hand offs to USPS/UPS.

My Daughter sent me Omaha Steaks one year, along with the other crappy turnovers and baked potatoes.

It was pretty disappointing overall......gives a bad name to the city known for the best steaks in the US.

I got a whole bunch of Amazon stuff delivered SAME DAY with Prime....!

...and I don't live in a city. Absolutely amazing.

I think this is everything this christmas. ALL of my amazon packages arrived in 5-7 days. This is with my free prime 2 day shipping. The only one that shipped when they said was the Walmart.com ship to store. It was there ready for pickup the next day. Obviously it was in their warehouse and went out on their own daily truck delivery.

I believe in the terms and services of Amazon Prime you can get 1 month free of prime every time they fail to deliver within the two days (up to a free year I think). Might be worth looking into further.

I'm throwing Tractor Supply's online sales out as something to avoid. I ordered a Duraplus through the wall chimney kit and four 3-foot long sections of the six-inch triple wall pipe online for "In-store pickup". As my local store (Milford, NH) only had two of pipe sections in stock, I ordered the other two pipes and the through the wall kit to pickup in Merrimack, NH (who also only had two pipe sections) as part of the same order (their website encourages you to check nearby stores). I went to Merrimack and my wife went to Milford... Milford had no record of the order even after she showed them both the email and the printed order. After an hour of the runaround, they figured out that while you can order from different stores online, it does not process the items from a second store as part of a single order. The best part was that Milford only had one undamaged pipe section and couldn't figure out how to cancel the charges to my credit card.

I believe in the terms and services of Amazon Prime you can get 1 month free of prime every time they fail to deliver within the two days (up to a free year I think). Might be worth looking into further.

I heard a woman on the radio talking about this. She was from remote Alaska and ordered almost everything through Amazon. She hasn't paid for prime in years because they can never make the 2-day delivery. She factors the delivery time into her orders and doesn't let it bother her.

Imagine all the free meat Sam the Butcher slipped to Alice in the back door on the Brady Bunch.

I think they had an episode of it once...came on very late at night though after the prime time tease aired...:emoji_laughing:

Attachments

• tumblr_n55tlbCTYc1r0wzyko1_500-500x330.jpg
    tumblr_n55tlbCTYc1r0wzyko1_500-500x330.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 10
I'm throwing Tractor Supply's online sales out as something to avoid. I ordered a Duraplus through the wall chimney kit and four 3-foot long sections of the six-inch triple wall pipe online for "In-store pickup". As my local store (Milford, NH) only had two of pipe sections in stock, I ordered the other two pipes and the through the wall kit to pickup in Merrimack, NH (who also only had two pipe sections) as part of the same order (their website encourages you to check nearby stores). I went to Merrimack and my wife went to Milford... Milford had no record of the order even after she showed them both the email and the printed order. After an hour of the runaround, they figured out that while you can order from different stores online, it does not process the items from a second store as part of a single order. The best part was that Milford only had one undamaged pipe section and couldn't figure out how to cancel the charges to my credit card.

IMHO = Next time try Son's Chimney Service & Stove, just off the Milford Oval (NH).

I used them to order and get any missing chimney parts that I needed, when putting in my second wood stove. They were very helpful + knowledgeable, and I got everything that I needed + on-time.

Back
Top Bottom