One tumbler to rule them all?

walter62

NES Member
Hi,
My XL750 arrived and I'm starting from scratch. In regards to simplicity, I'd like to start w/ a vib. tumbler but eventually move to wet.

Can I use dry media (corn/walnut/stainless pins) in a rotary tumbler (dry) ??

I use walnut pet bedding, crushed walnut shells, from Pets ‘R Us.
Add a couple ounces of Nufinish car wax and a couple ounces of mineral spirits instead of polishing solution. It woks better and is far less expensive. Run the tumbler for about a half hour after adding the polishing mixture to evenly distribute it before adding your brass.

Refresh the mineral spirits and polish every few weeks. Pet bedding will last a year or more.

Also, get Mr Bullet Feeder powder funnels for pistol calibers, you won’t regret it.
They are absolutely the best and make bullet placement a breeze.

Last edited:
The mr bullet feeder funnel has a slight step in it about .200 in before the bevel that is about the same diameter as the bullet so whe you place the bullet by hand it actually starts straight in the case instead of balancing on the bevel of the flair. You can get away with almost no flair/bell.
I bought one for the caliber I compete USPSA with to try it out then it wasn’t long before I ordered them for all pistol calibers I reload.

Ugh. I read the title as “one tumblr to rule them all”, and was curious if it was s gun related tumblr, or sex related. (Those are the obvious choices here)

Skip the vibrator and get wet. Runs twice the brass in half the time.

But you then have to decap before cleaning and dry after.
I wet tumble and it does give better results but isn't any faster (and shiny brass is not needed)

If you don't decap before wet cleaning the rim of the primer can seize in the pocket ruining the case unless you process the brass very shortly after cleaning (I tend to clean and store for a while)

I’ll run 1500
I wet tumble and it does give better results but isn't any faster (and shiny brass is not needed)

If you don't decap before wet cleaning the rim of the primer can seize in the pocket ruining the case unless you process the brass very shortly after cleaning (I tend to clean and store for a while)
I’ll run 1200+ 9mm in 40 mins. Not had a primer pocket problem

I’ll run 1500

I’ll run 1200+ 9mm in 40 mins. Not had a primer pocket problem
If you force hot dry (oven or dehydrator) or process quickly there isn't an issue.
I will clean and store - wet brass will have a couple of percent primers stuck.

I have not noticed this. I run 500 at a time through my FART. Once clean, quick cleanup in the sifter, and then outside in the Texas sun. 45min , all dry. Then decapping, sometimes a few days later . Works like a charm and none of the dust/powder everywhere. Also no risk of having corn/walnut shell media stuck in your primer hole.

I have/ordered the Lee 9mm carbide dies for the XL750. Will the Mr. BF funnels work/fit?

Sorry for the real noob questions. :confused:
The powder funnel fits in the powder drop which doesn’t come in the die set. You should be good to go.
I just swapped out the Dillon funnel for the mr bullet feeder funnel.

I have not noticed this. I run 500 at a time through my FART. Once clean, quick cleanup in the sifter, and then outside in the Texas sun. 45min , all dry. Then decapping, sometimes a few days later . Works like a charm and none of the dust/powder everywhere. Also no risk of having corn/walnut shell media stuck in your primer hole.
Texas sun = oven dry here in SE Mass
It takes a couple of months for corrosion to set into the primer pockets if left wet. I tend to have enough day to day brass so most calibers sit months before being loaded.
I also have a Lee APP with a feeder that makes quick work of decapping.

Buy a Thumbler’s model B tumbler and don’t ever look back. Wet or dry, quick and quiet.
I buy 40# bags of 20/40 corncob media and run 2 hour cycles. 20/40 is big enough for getting the job done, but small enough to not get stuck in flash holes. I only used stainless pins once on some really corroded .308. The brass cleaned up awesome, but the drying and media separation was barely worth the hassle.

If you force hot dry (oven or dehydrator) or process quickly there isn't an issue.
I will clean and store - wet brass will have a couple of percent primers stuck.
That's interesting. I've wet tumbled, air dried and months later no problem.

That's interesting. I've wet tumbled, air dried and months later no problem.
I wish I knew what combination causes it.
I've grabbed grimy cases that have sat under the snow on an outdoor range for months with no problems.
I've also had grocery bags of cases that got damp where one or two percent would give me issues - not a show stopper but a pain. Ususally the split primer gets caught and jams in the shell holder so even if you didn't feel the difference you find out quick. The sneaky ones are when the bottom of the primer pops off completely and leaves the ring behind.

I wish I knew what combination causes it.
I've grabbed grimy cases that have sat under the snow on an outdoor range for months with no problems.
I've also had grocery bags of cases that got damp where one or two percent would give me issues - not a show stopper but a pain. Ususally the split primer gets caught and jams in the shell holder so even if you didn't feel the difference you find out quick. The sneaky ones are when the bottom of the primer pops off completely and leaves the ring behind.
I wonder if it's the addition of a cleaning agent that causes it? I personally decap everything first, then wet tumble and either air dry or oven dry before storing, so I don't have the issue of stuck primers you speak of.

Back
Top Bottom