• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One room cabin solar power ?

I run two 75 watt incandescent light bulbs all weekend long on two 12v marine batteries. Thats plenty of light for me. I wear a head lamp for trips to the latrine. You can get the bulbs at NAPA auto parts, 50W or 75W for around $8 a six pack. Presently I take the batteries home and charge them which is a pain because its a hike in cabin. But I have a 35ft light post that was given to me and I plan on putting a solar panel on it soon.

Heres my cabin.

Cool cabin. Why up on stilts? Is that for deep snow? Any plans to put fencing to keep critters from underneath? Somehow, it seems these NEVER can be mouse-proofed. Where is it?

How about lamp oil for lighting? Or solar power, the topic of this thread?

Yeah I'm going to switch to LED some day but the regular bulbs throw more light. Not having a power problem yet since the lights are only on 4-5 hours a night. I also have a couple of d cell led lamps that work good enough for sitting around inside.
http://www.girlstravelclub.co.uk/im... large blue vintage battery retro-500x500.jpg

LED lights have come a LONG way. Go to your local home depot and buy a 75w or 100w equivalent Cree brand bulb. It uses about 10-15w and is just as good as any incandescent, for about $5-10. You can get 60w equivalents for <$2.

LED lights have come a LONG way. Go to your local home depot and buy a 75w or 100w equivalent Cree brand bulb. It uses about 10-15w and is just as good as any incandescent, for about $5-10. You can get 60w equivalents for <$2.

I'm using 12V. I don't think Home Depot carry's led in 12V. I can find them on the web but not too many people like them.

Cool cabin. Why up on stilts? Is that for deep snow? Any plans to put fencing to keep critters from underneath? Somehow, it seems these NEVER can be mouse-proofed. Where is it?

How about lamp oil for lighting? Or solar power, the topic of this thread?

Yes, because of snow. Not worried about critters. Oil lamps burn to dirty. Have plans to go with solar panel later this year but need to get a 35' steel post out there to put it on. I have a pretty good canopy over the cabin which I like so the post will have to go where the shorter trees are. I also want to make it so that it can be turned to face the sun no matter what time of day it is.

Back
Top Bottom