• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

one place to search gun shop inventories

A number of years back, after the state started enforcing the "consumer protection" regulations, I was perusing Collector's web site and saw that they had a used Wilson Combat 1911 in stock. I quickly ran off to the store with a great wad of cash...

Some purchases are opportunity buys. There are probably a bunch of guns I'd love to get, and most of them I'll have to get from mass previous owners. Any lead is better than no lead. If I need to call a few shops that used to have a Tok, it's still better than calling every single shop in mass and get blank stares.

Interesting comments and viewpoints. drgrant summed up my feelings. Personally, I'm not put off by old style websites. I'm more concerned with accuracy of inventory. I can do without the shock and awe of some websites. Sometimes it strikes me as a restaurant menu, where they use a paragraph to describe a steak. It's like that old saying about selling the sizzle, not the steak.

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for a particular gun. Four Seasons listed three in stock, so I took the ride there. When I got there, there were only two. When I left they only had one. [smile] Was the website 100% accurate? No, but it was accurate enough that it got me to make the 90 minute drive there and spend money. If they had only listed one model of what I was looking for I would have called ahead to verify that it was there before spending the gas and time to visit.

It would be cool if there were a way to conduct an accurate search for a particular gun in a certain geographic area, but I don't know how that could be accomplished.

bobbyg and acme, both nice websites. Just curious, how many man-hours per week do you estimate it takes to keep your website updated?

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for a particular gun. Four Seasons listed three in stock, so I took the ride there. When I got there, there were only two. When I left they only had one. [smile] Was the website 100% accurate? No, but it was accurate enough that it got me to make the 90 minute drive there and spend money. If they had only listed one model of what I was looking for I would have called ahead to verify that it was there before spending the gas and time to visit.

I assume that you looked on their website, through the inventory list. How do you know that there wasn't a shop closer to you that may have had the same gun? Did you call/ looked at website for every single place in your search radius? I'm just curious.

Interesting comments and viewpoints. drgrant summed up my feelings. Personally, I'm not put off by old style websites. I'm more concerned with accuracy of inventory. I can do without the shock and awe of some websites. Sometimes it strikes me as a restaurant menu, where they use a paragraph to describe a steak. It's like that old saying about selling the sizzle, not the steak.

It would be cool if there were a way to conduct an accurate search for a particular gun in a certain geographic area, but I don't know how that could be accomplished.

bobbyg and acme, both nice websites. Just curious, how many man-hours per week do you estimate it takes to keep your website updated?

I had 3 weeks of work day and most nights just launching the eCommerce side.. the amount of time spent is hard to calculate but I would say I dedicate another 5-15 hours every week. I am the one handles everything on my own site from the back to front so its just time consuming running the website part and then running the business side every day.

Acme Armament has a simple but good layout. All the guns have links to pictures. It's not updated every day but is updated often enough. A call ahead to make sure the gun has not been sold is simple enough. http://www.acmearmament.com/index.html

I like that format too, I can see everything at a glance and there are links to gun's photos. Perfect!

Back
Top Bottom