• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One pistol do all mindset

As far as the guns go, I dunno, but I can tell you this.....buy a safe that's at least ten times bigger than you think your going to need. This will save untold heartache and aggravation down the road. Tell her it's "for the children".

One pistol doesnā€™t do all.

For a new shooter, particularly if you are on a budget, a .22lr will let you shoot all day long for little money.

A Glock 19 is a good all around gun, but for concealed carry I find the 43x conceals better.

For pocket carry, I use a smaller gun, Kahr PM9.

For competition, I use a much larger, heavier gun with a far better trigger - CZ Shadow 2.

Yes, you can use a single gun, but it will always be a compromise. A single cab, long bed pickup is great for bringing home 4x8 plywood, but isnā€™t great for carrying your family. A minivan is great for carrying your family but sucks for a weekend autocross.

One pistol doesnā€™t do all.

For a new shooter, particularly if you are on a budget, a .22lr will let you shoot all day long for little money.

A Glock 19 is a good all around gun, but for concealed carry I find the 43x conceals better.

For pocket carry, I use a smaller gun, Kahr PM9.

For competition, I use a much larger, heavier gun with a far better trigger - CZ Shadow 2.

Yes, you can use a single gun, but it will always be a compromise. A single cab, long bed pickup is great for bringing home 4x8 plywood, but isnā€™t great for carrying your family. A minivan is great for carrying your family but sucks for a weekend autocross.

Lol.... which gun is a minivan. Just so I don't look as gay carrying it as guys who drive minivans look

My 1911 doesn't pay taxes and drinks beer and whiskey. It sits around the campfire telling stories of putting down krauts back when guns were made of strong metal and not half plastic, half metal transgender millennials.....'Merica

OP's thread Objective has been achieved... /thread

I think that would def be a Keltec or Highpoint carbine. It gets the job done, when itā€™s not in for service, but no oneā€™s ever going to drool over it.

I remember one time at the MLEFIAA Conference, I was teaching, and the Harvard guys had Roni Glock Conversions for their 'patrol rifles'....

I would daresay it's damn near equivalent to riding a moped.

Well.....I know we're all thinking it, so let me just put it right out there....... glock.jpg

And just so there's no argument on the subject......
glock.jpg

I remember one time at the MLEFIAA Conference, I was teaching, and the Harvard guys had Roni Glock Conversions for their 'patrol rifles'....

I would daresay it's damn near equivalent to riding a moped.

Yes, I remember those! I used to teach with a guy named Dom from Harvard, he brought it the range one day. lol Great guy by the way if you know him.

Yes, I remember those! I used to teach with a guy named Dom from Harvard, he brought it the range one day. lol Great guy by the way if you know him.

I do! He may not remember me, but I trained with him several times. I'll tell you what.... the Northeastern guys have some cool blasters now. ;) If you ever connect with one, ask to check out their rifles. I was super jealous.

I do! He may not remember me, but I trained with him several times. I'll tell you what.... the Northeastern guys have some cool blasters now. ;) If you ever connect with one, ask to check out their rifles. I was super jealous.

What are those commandos ā€˜runningā€™ now? lol

Used to love to sit over behind Ruggles @ NE on the bike and drink my coffee. Man it was like watching a tennis match with all the girls walking by. Helluva thing.

Well things have changed in the last several weeks. Iā€™m the OP who started this mess. Just an update on where Iā€™m at now.

ā€¢ Iā€™m now a member of an indoor range, once a week exercising my index finger, feels exhilarating with every squeeze.
ā€¢ My collection has surely grown, which includes the original pimped out P320, and in the same breath dare I say the ā€œGā€ word, twice.
ā€¢ The wife is still with me, although she thinks Iā€™m nuts regarding my new interests. Tried to lie to her once but folded, exposing the truth, about how many handguns and rifles I now own.
ā€¢ The original pistol safe I have... had, isnā€™t keeping up with the new demands.
ā€¢ One pistol, do all mindset? Hell no.

Simple. Every handgun I own cost around 250. Every rifle is around 300. Believe it or not, I traded a craftsman drill press for a gen4 G17 with Vogel trigger and mounted RMR. When it comes to accessories, it's even more simple. My $600 Vortex Viper magically turned into a $150 scope. My Geissele mount ($320) looks exactly like that $19 no name on Amazon. In other words: LIE! Be a bullshit artist. It's a basic skill every married gun guy needs? Problem is, it'll only make you sad when you die and she will sell your shit for what you told her you bought it for.

I really, really want to ā€œlikeā€ this comment, but someday my wife may read this ...

R

Edit: Ooooops ...

In before someone says Glock.

My suggestion, find a buddy who owns guns and try a few, then go to a rental place, like Granite state range in southern NH, and try everything they have. Find what you like, and go from there. I think you will find tho, the same way you dont have just 1 wrench, you wont have just 1 gun, ill give you my example/ I love history, so for my first gun, I got a 1911. I loved it, its a tack driver, sexy gun, and fun to shoot, but I quickly realized it sucks to carry. From there, I kept trying striker guns, and realized I really liked how the P365 felt, and got it for carry; its small, accurate and holds 10 rounds, perfect for that roll. Then, I realized that if something goes bump in the night, i wanted something with more capacity, and capable of holding a light, so I kept trying a few more, and eventually arrived at a P226. I liked the SA trigger, but liked having the DA for that first pull, I could also attach a light to it, and the heft helped me stay on target. Its great for a nightstand gun, and awesome for the range. Basically, its up to you. I dont love striker guns, so I went with SA, but it may not be the case for you.

I dont think this is what you should do, .as again, you should find what works best for you, but if I had to choose just 1 gun to have, id probably go with a P226 legion. I prefer shooting the 1911, but I find the P226 more versatile. That being said I wouldnt carry it. So i guess I go back to having atleast 2 guns, cause I love me that P365!

Next stop, rifles....you need atleast like 3 or 4.

Edit - Dammit, got beat to the line with the glock comment.

Really, this is the only way to find out what YOU are comfortable with rather than public opinion. Do you put out on a forum what shoe are most comfortable for you?

mines a tack driver, if you want a conversation starter at the range thatā€™s your gun.
I want one. I was looking for one at Old Glory yesterday when I went for the raffle. I also made it a point not to ask if they had one since I really don't need to drop that kind of coin on a pistol right now.

I want one. I was looking for one at Old Glory yesterday when I went for the raffle. I also made it a point not to ask if they had one since I really don't need to drop that kind of coin on a pistol right now.

Theyā€™re kind of hard to find right now, it took me about 4 months to track one down.

It's a toss up between a Governor or an Obrez.

I am so so tempted to make a Mosin pistol. I've got several that I own for less than $100 ea.
I am 99% sure this can be done legally if you register it as a SBR.

The only problem is that all my Mosins are minty. As in fresh from the crate and all have some historically interesting feature/factor.

I really need to find an old crappy shot out Mosin to dothis with.

I would have to throw my vote behind the G19 also. Or, if you absolutely need something smaller, the G26 since it can use the 19 mags. When you pull out a 50rd drum and slap it in, the bad guys know you mean business!! [wink] Seriously though, a G26 with 17+ round back up mags isn't a bad option at all.

The MK23 has a unique distinction... in my mind.... It is completely pointless and impractical for anything, but yet if you buy one you probably won't feel like you wasted the money, it's one of those guns... bizarre. I sold mine (and it had the real maritime finish, too) years ago and kinda wish I had kept it, even if the reality was it would only get fired a few times a year....

-Mike

Well, you can have one pistol cover all the activities you mentioned.
For hunting, steel silhouette shooting and probably a few other purposes (like hiking among grizzlies) you'll want something "special" like a big bore revolver
Before buying your pistol, try as many as you can get your hands on. The subcompacts and compact pistols for EDC are much less fun to shoot than mid sized or full sized pistols, and harder to shoot accurately.
Mid and full sized pistols are concealable and comfortable to carry, given a good holster and belt.
I personally like the line of Canik pistols. Great trigger and reliability. I carry the SF in a White Hat IWB holster and it is invisible when wearing shorts and an untucked T-shirt, and very comfortable

The MK23 has a unique distinction... in my mind.... It is completely pointless and impractical for anything, but yet if you buy one you probably won't feel like you wasted the money, it's one of those guns... bizarre. I sold mine (and it had the real maritime finish, too) years ago and kinda wish I had kept it, even if the reality was it would only get fired a few times a year....

-Mike

It's an investment at this point.

So now I am thinking... is there a twelve pistol combo that covers ALL bases.
Hahahahaha You're getting the idea. Also, fixed it for you

It sounds to me that youā€™re expecting far too much from a pistol and not enough of yourself. Youā€™re the brain and the body that makes it go bang when itā€™s needed. So whatever you choose, training with it like a madman will allow you, to make it, handle many different situations-make sense?
t
Job

Well said
Practice practice practice

Glock G19 and a Sig 220 Scorpion for the win. Those two guns will do most everything you need. Full size and compact, 9mm and .45ACP. Carry and range. Reliability. Accuracy. Old school and new hotness. I know... 1911, but the 220 isn't your grandfather's .45. It's called progress.

Back
Top Bottom