One pistol do all mindset

You guys all have been super informative. Many thanks.

Since this thread my curiosity has been piqued. How do I get the Mrs. to approve. She doesn’t quite agree with all of this : )

The no. 1 rule of gun ownership is, never have all your guns out at the same time. I only have a short gun and a long gun.

Had anyone mentioned a Glock 19? Anyone?

Dude, I know exactly what you're feeling. The Glock19 was one of the best purchases I've ever made. The latest version Gen5 is perfect out of the box.

Without a doubt the most versatile single pistol.

Large enough frame to enjoy at the range and for home defense yet still small enough to easily CCW. Reliable as all get up and affordable (at least outside of MA)

Yes, just haven't been interested. I took a LTC course because my boss at the time was an enthusiast, did it for curiosity sake. Now the bug has bit me, as many of you seem to be familiar with. Also had to have responsible discussions with the wife regarding it's purpose, also teaching the kid while out west about gun safety. I suppose now it may be time, just took a while to get there.

Do you know what you're doing? If not, take a class - if you want a P320 just take Sig Academy's Handgun 102, Sig will provide the P320 and holster, just bring ammo and a smile.

If you're getting a DA/SA gun, I highly recommend Sig's 102 class, cause they'll drill that manual of arms into you. (start from holster, draw, shoot one round DA, shoot one SA, decock, reholster. Repeat.) By the end of class you'll be (sometimes) hitting the steel head target at 25 yards with the long DA pull. Or just bring a Glock to class, they don't care.

Since this thread my curiosity has been piqued. How do I get the Mrs. to approve. She doesn’t quite agree with all of this : )
Tough question, don’t ask don’t tell?
... then take her to shoot sporting clays with a sub-gauge and soon she’ll be hiding her firearm expenditure from you!;)

A year and a half ago a friend called me and wanted to get into shooting. Over about 4 range trips I had him shoot everything I own from mouse guns, 22 target pistols, 380’s, 38/357, 9, 45 pistols / revolvers, and bolt, levers, and semi auto rifles and pcc’s, from 22 to 223. One mag was enough for 12 gauge. After this I took him to MFS and he tried out a bunch more stuff.

In the end he chose a Beretta 92 FS and a Henry 22 lever action as his first two guns. His pistol choice revolved around a range gun and HD. The Henry? Well he said he always wanted one. Now he also owns the latest version of the CZ 22 bolt action rifle and is shopping foe a 20 ga trap gun.

The advice here about guns as tools is incredibly solid; different guns for different purposes. IMHO go into your first purchase with the attitude that it won’t be your last or only purchase. Plus, if you make a mistake you can always trade it. I have found that my firearms needs / wants have markedly changed over my lifespan as living situations, physical changes (eyes) and access to ranges has changed.

Best wishes on your purchase!

You can never have to many gun's...buy early buy often.

Also buy ammo, lots of ammo. It never hurts to keep in mind the phrase : “Buy it cheap and stack it deep.”

The gen 5 without the finger grooves? Or the gen 5.5 w/out the cutout? Seems like Glock is just taking away more stuff with each generation.
HA! I can't believe they removed the cutout. Mine has the cutout but I can't notice a difference. But yeah, it's getting ridiculous with glock taking things away and putting it back.

Hi all,

First post here. As I await my LTC renewal to come (45 days now and counting), I have had the urge to purchase my first pistol. Whether my intent is for target shooting, home defense, carry, conversation starter at the club, etc. is it possible or even advisable to have one pistol to check all the boxes and do well in all of them?

I am under a mindset, being a new owner, that having more than one pistol may interfere with how I'm able to adapt to it all situations. Different grip angles, sight planes, bore axis, grip feel, blah blah blah... I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times, but given my situation I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

On hold at the local shop is a Sig P320 compact, Sig Pro Cut Slide and Leupold Deltapoint Pro with lower 1/3 co-witness sights.

My question would be this. You're waiting for a renewal and you haven't purchased a pistol from when you first got your LTC? I'm confused.

What he said. We all make the same mistake, buy that perfect cc pistol that will do it all for you. For me it was a sig p938. It is an incredible gun.............. now. As a first gun, it sucked.

You will never own just one gun. It is impossible to do. I guarantee that within your first year you will own at least three. So with that said, get a 22lr pistol. SR22 or one of the mark series. Cheap as hell to shoot, no worries about recoil and you will learn the proper technique. After that, go to town. I still shoot the 22 at every range session. It is my warm up gun, good for about 300 rounds between my wife and I, before moving to the other calibers.

I had five guns after my first year and I learned to reload for my 9mm, 38sp and 357mag within that time frame. It is a ridiculous hobby. Just an endless money pit of pure unadulterated fun. Pete
+1

Start with a 22LR handgun as it makes for inexpensive and easy training. Everyone starts here, you should too.

After that go to a range that offers rentals indeed. Handguns are very personal and some designs, grip angles, sights, sizes or weights may be difficult to work with for you and training may not improve it as much as starting off with something that fits you better. This is why you need to shoot a lot of different handguns to see what you would like to shoot the most. Then get that one in 9mm.

So you should have two handguns, a 22 and a 9. After that you can go to town, either with fun little historical mouseguns like 25's and 32's or higher power stuff. If I had to add a 3rd I'd suggest a 357 mag revolver and a 4th a 1911 in 45acp. But this is gravy. Concentrate on getting an inexpensive 22 to start as well the quest for a 9mm that works for you. You could totally stop there.

If you stick around this forum, you’ll end up with many guns.

Don’t overthink this. Get something you’ll shoot often. Then you’ll figure out what you like and what you want or need after that.

Simple. Every handgun I own cost around 250. Every rifle is around 300. Believe it or not, I traded a craftsman drill press for a gen4 G17 with Vogel trigger and mounted RMR. When it comes to accessories, it's even more simple. My $600 Vortex Viper magically turned into a $150 scope. My Geissele mount ($320) looks exactly like that $19 no name on Amazon. In other words: LIE! Be a bullshit artist. It's a basic skill every married gun guy needs? Problem is, it'll only make you sad when you die and she will sell your shit for what you told her you bought it for.

I’ve learned more on this post than a trip to the local gun store. Quite amazing, thanks all. Here’s the high-level recap:

1. Everyone should own a Glock. Haha.
2. There is a gun for every occasion, situation
3. Practice, practice and practice more
4. Lie to the old lady about your possessions
5. Stockpile ammo
6. This forum is the place to get answers. And fast.

Now I’m off to the classifieds fellas.

Did I miss a post? No one suggested a Glock 7...?

I had a Glock 7, I put it down in my work room and I couldn't find it again as everyone knows it is completely undetectable. Man, I still feel around the ground now and then hoping I can feel it.

Thanks for the info, Glock inexpensive? Was that a typo? All the ones that are MA compliant are ancient and priced to keep me from considering them as a second option.
There's the price of the gun, the price of the magazines, the price of the sights, the price of the holsters, the price of parts etc...
Glock is an inexpensive platform with probably the deepest third party support in the industry.

Ah, the truth comes out! LOL Buy a .22LR and take her to the range and hope she'll approve. Then get your range/carry gun.

I think $1200 investment for a first gun is overboard. If down the line you feel it isn't the perfect one for you, you've invested too much.
I would take the advice of others here and trying different firearms at a range. The 320 is great but there are others that are just as reliable.

Back
Top Bottom