One pistol do all mindset

I do like the Glock 19. But I'm also a big fan of the Canik 9mm guns.

Better trigger than the Glock. Much easier to source here in MA. Very accurate and comfortable to shoot. Less expensive here in MA.

Not sure where you are located but I purchased several at Gartmann Arms. They are available at other stores as well.

49460.jpg

[troll]

Yeah, I know there's some particular things you need to keep straight with grip/caliber/slide, etc. I didn't really get into the 320 much since it seemed like what I wanted to do resulted in nearly the cost of a new pistol, like $300 or something. A friend does have the P320 Compact in 9 and it's a decent pistol.

Yes, for my first pistol I think I may have taken the more expensive approach. I was sold on the modular aspect of it, buy one frame and have multiple options. I am in 1200.00+ for all the things I have put into it. But my rationale is I have a compact pistol for carry, a pistol with a red dot for range/practice, a slide configuration for bling... Now all that while not dealing with adjusting to different grip angles, bore heights, weight, feel etc.

I wonder for that kind of coin, I should have just bought 2 pistols... :( I am second guessing my approach.

I’m still shaking my head about the “renewal” coming up and first gun. So, for 5 yrs you’ve had an LTC and never bought a handgun?

Anyway, trying to shake that one off and think clearly.

It sounds to me that you’re expecting far too much from a pistol and not enough of yourself. You’re the brain and the body that makes it go bang when it’s needed. So whatever you choose, training with it like a madman will allow you, to make it, handle many different situations-make sense?

My advice would be to find something that’s proven to be ultra reliable in a 9mm/.45 zone that fits comfortably in your hand, with controls (or lack thereof) that are natural feeling for you to actuate with your level of, no disrespect intended, experience, or lack of.

First; Find one that will suitably help you defend your home if needed. To me, if you only have one firearm this is your priority, so the cops don’t find you three days later all bloated on the floor.

Second; mix that home defense mentality with now also carrying it daily. Does it fit your body type, IE concealable (enough), is it too heavy, too large, too small etc. You get the idea.

Lastly, and again I’m giving you advice on the idea that you will only have 1 pistol for quite a while to cover many tasks, lastly is range time to actually train with it or just for doing some fun plinking and conversation.

(Me? After 30yrs of shooting I like going to the range when I don’t have to talk to anybody, especially some of the dopes and fist f***ers you’ll find there)

Is it cost prohibitive for you personally to shoot a couple hundred rounds per week or month training?

While it may seem confusing, with 1 & 2 being the priorities when the whistle blows, you can’t do either of them well without doing #3 the most.

Last edited:
Yes, for my first pistol I think I may have taken the more expensive approach. I was sold on the modular aspect of it, buy one frame and have multiple options. I am in 1200.00+ for all the things I have put into it. But my rationale is I have a compact pistol for carry, a pistol with a red dot for range/practice, a slide configuration for bling... Now all that while not dealing with adjusting to different grip angles, bore heights, weight, feel etc.

I wonder for that kind of coin, I should have just bought 2 pistols... :( I am second guessing my approach.

Meh, stop thinking about it. Take it to the range, shoot it often, and enjoy it. If you find its too big to comfortably carry, thats fine, start looking for something smaller (I recommend a Sig P365!). If you want to later have something for home defense, consider looking at something that can have a rail and take a rail light, maybe a P226, Beretta or Glock. The more you shoot it the more you will realize whta you like or dont like, and be able to base your next purchase from there.

Honestly, dont worry about it, i guarantee it wont be the last gun.

Hi all,

First post here. As I await my LTC renewal to come (45 days now and counting), I have had the urge to purchase my first pistol. Whether my intent is for target shooting, home defense, carry, conversation starter at the club, etc. is it possible or even advisable to have one pistol to check all the boxes and do well in all of them?

I am under a mindset, being a new owner, that having more than one pistol may interfere with how I'm able to adapt to it all situations. Different grip angles, sight planes, bore axis, grip feel, blah blah blah... I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times, but given my situation I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

On hold at the local shop is a Sig P320 compact, Sig Pro Cut Slide and Leupold Deltapoint Pro with lower 1/3 co-witness sights.
Can you rebuild an engine with one wrench?

Guns are tools. You need a different tool for different jobs.

My advice buy a 9mm carry gun as I'm assuming that's your first job for a gun right? Learn to shoot it well. You'll need to buy more handguns if you want to do other jobs. Those other jobs could include many other shooting sports.

One handgun may do every type of shooting well......but other types of shooting marginally. Once you get into it you'll see.

Last edited:
I’m still shaking my head about the “renewal” coming up and first gun. So, for 5 yrs you’ve had an LTC and never bought a handgun?

Yes, just haven't been interested. I took a LTC course because my boss at the time was an enthusiast, did it for curiosity sake. Now the bug has bit me, as many of you seem to be familiar with. Also had to have responsible discussions with the wife regarding it's purpose, also teaching the kid while out west about gun safety. I suppose now it may be time, just took a while to get there.

Buy the .22 first, learn the basics for cheap, you can learn almost everything (except tap in tap, tack and roll.... not a good idea to tam a rimfire IMHO) on the 22 then transition to a 9 or whatever.

IMHO everyone should a quality S&W J or K frame revolver, a mid sized 9mm, a .22 plinker, a Remington 870 or equivalent, and the venerable 1911 in some configuration ( as long as it isn't a Remington... RIA makes some decent entry level stuff) ... after that it is all gravy.

Yes, just haven't been interested. I took a LTC course because my boss at the time was an enthusiast, did it for curiosity sake. Now the bug has bit me, as many of you seem to be familiar with. Also had to have responsible discussions with the wife regarding it's purpose, also teaching the kid while out west about gun safety. I suppose now it may be time, just took a while to get there.

Hey better late than never. Don’t over think it all tho, it’s not rocket science. Hit some rental ranges and try different calibers and sizes to see what works for you, that should be your first step before breaking out a wad of cash.

This has been covered in a million threads before and therefore I am copy and pasting my last response:

Step 1:Get a 9mm compact/full size sized gun from one of the major manufacturers:
Glock G19, Sig p320, S&W M&P 2.0, HK VP9 , CZ p10C/p07c. (if you are going the polymer route)
They are all good. Glock is the most boring (accurate, reliable, durable, inexpensive) and therefore the best [laugh]

Step 2: Buy a case of not total garbage ammo 115gr FMJ (blazer blass, american eagle)

Step 3: Shoot half your case of ammo, and buy another case of ammo.

Step 4: Repeat

Personally I think a first gun should be a general purpose gun. I would get a gun that is simple and boringly reliable, don't overthink it.
Something you can take to the range and build confidence and skill. If you get a too small gun, it's not going to be very pleasant to shoot and therefore you probably aren't going to practice as much as you should.
Also suck it up and buy a case of range ammo from somewhere like target sports so you don't feel the burn of buying a box at a time from the LGS or god forbid the range. Make sure your gun works and learn how to run it and clean it.

Also recognize that your first gun is only the first gun. For your second, third, or 34th gun you can branch out in to special purpose guns and fun guns.
A subcompact-carry (Shield, P365, etc) is a great second gun.
A fighting rifle is a great third gun.
A quality revolver is a great fourth gun.

Welcome to the gang!

I actually get what you're saying OP. I approach my pistols the same way. I set them up with same sights and triggers. I do same thing with my rifles. Does it matter for plinking? No.

Does timing of trigger press to post recoil push, how the slide cycles, and familiarity with controls matter for maximum performance? Yeah. I think it does. I have 2 G45s (red dot, and 1 iron sighted), and a G43. They are all set up the same.

I suspect you'll be fine in that respect with 320 chassis.

I fall squarely in the 'boringly reliable' camp.

This has been covered in a million threads before and therefore I am copy and pasting my last response:

Glock is the most boring (accurate, reliable, durable, inexpensive) and therefore the best [laugh]

Thanks for the info, Glock inexpensive? Was that a typo? All the ones that are MA compliant are ancient and priced to keep me from considering them as a second option.

I go pretty much go with "Good Will Hunting". Get a gun that is OK to Carry but won't beat you up at the range, Next get a good Range Gun, Then a Sub Compact Pistol or Snub Revolver, then get a .357 Revolver from S&W or Ruger. I go with a 50 round rule. Go to the range and shoot 50 rounds, no more. Not too expensive and make those 50 rounds count. Anything more that that at this point you're just throwing lead downrange.
If you're down in South Eastern Mass text me and we'll arrange some range time where you can try out a few guns.

I actually get what you're saying OP. I approach my pistols the same way. I set them up with same sights and triggers. I do same thing with my rifles. Does it matter for plinking? No.

Does timing of trigger press to post recoil push, how the slide cycles, and familiarity with controls matter for maximum performance? Yeah. I think it does. I have 2 G45s (red dot, and 1 iron sighted), and a G43. They are all set up the same.

I suspect you'll be fine in that respect with 320 chassis.

I fall squarely in the 'boringly reliable' camp.

Yes exactly. Different tools for the job I am certainly starting to understand, but even with different tools I stick with the ergonomics of the same brand. My screwdrivers even though have different tips the handles of every one of them feels the same, this may be a crappy example but I think we're on the same page.

You have two Lanes, Glock guys and Sig Guys. And one will tell you the Glock 19 walked to the corner store to buy him a loaf a bread when his baby was born and his hands were full and helped warm up the milk. The Glock guys will tell you that their best man was a Glock 19 at their wedding. And how the Glock 19 gave such a beautiful speech about the fruits of life and finding your soul mate. How the Glock 19 is the godfather of his sons. And how the Glock 19 helped him study for Algebra 2 and College level calculus. But than the Glock 19 had an affair with his wife so he bought a Glock 17 which is even more loyal than the 19 was.

Then as you're hearing all that lovely info, a Sig guy will kick the door in. Because a Sig guy can't simply hear a Glock guy enjoy his gun without trying to tell everyone that the Glock is inferior to the Sig. Every damn time. He'll tell you about the Alluminum frame construction. How it's got a better trigger. And it's more accurate And nobody should ever carry anything else.

For you though. It's hard to recommend a gun online.

Firstly imo. You gotta decide what type of gun you want. Caliber/Action and Finish.

First of the questions should be. Revolver or Standard Pistol?

revolver-or-semi-automatic.jpg

Now personally, I think your first gun almost has to be a revolver. But that's bias talking. I'm a revolver guy. They are just so damn sexy. Have you ever seen an ugly gun? Of course... was it a revolver? I highly doubt it. Even when trash companies try to deliberately make an ugly one like the RHINO it ends up turning out fairly cool. It's just iconic and sexy. And most of all. Dependable. Simple. Less moving parts. Pretty much a guarantee if you buy a good make with good ammo. You want that type to save your life.

I will try my best to break down the best gun I think for each category you mentioned.

Conceal - If we are talking conceal, J frame .38 is a beauty. Good stopping power for a gun you can fit in your sock. .380 Body Guard, Glock 43. A 19 is NOT a conceal carry gun. Not by my definition anyway. People conceal it. But it's not the walking the dog and you throw it in your pocket like a bill fold type of gun the others I mentioned are. It's a compact. It's great for holster carry. If you wear layers and go through bullshit it will be concealable. But let's not call it the easiest to conceal. It's at the upper spectrum of what can be concealed.

Target - Their are so many brilliant guns for target. I won't even try suggesting many. Just Colt 1911. Colt 1911 is all that needs to be said about anything in life lol.

Home defense - Mossberg 500

Conversation starter at the club? - If you mean something that will attract attention from a gun guy? Accuracy. Muzzle Discipline. Something that goes boom. Just about anything that goes boom. But trust. Once you get your license and go the range. You'll get about 5 shots in before you realize. You really want to be left alone. Most people do. Conversations are had. But idk. Mossberg 500....

So you can basically knock off home defense and conversation started with a handgun. They aren't for home defense unless it's your only gun. Mossberg 500 or Mossberg shockwave. Any 12 guage shotgun. Those are the bad boys you're gonna wanna get. And trust they are the funnest :).

Here are 5 pistols i'd reccomend as the all around pistol. Imo anyway. For what it's worth.

Glock 19

52345.jpg

Glocks are the standard pretty much. Glock 19 is big enough to be good at the range, and small enough to kinda conceal. It's a great gun. Gen 5 or Gen 4 only though. Gen 1 and Gen 2 were pretty shit. Glocks are striker fired, and have great triggers. They are durable. And you can definitely trust you life to one.

Colt 1911

pix566384157.jpg

It's a colt 1911. It's just the most iconic and sexiest handgun to ever exist lol. Just look at it. Not many guns can you just look at for 5 minutes and find something new each time. Some new curve. And it performs every bit as good as she looks. People will tell you that the 1911 is unreliable. Those people are sleeper cells made by the Soviets circa 1945. Deactivation phrase is "f*** off".

The 1911 of today is a pinpoint accurate, undeniably sexy, and powerful handgun. Can be used for home defense. Can be carried if you get a good apendix Holster although it is much harder to conceal than most guns. And it is a single action, military grade pedigree.

Snub Nose .38 Special with +P

Model_642_L.jpg

I own one. It's one of the greatest gun I own. And that's because it's so damn convenient. You have it just in your pant pocket like a wallet. It's just no frills and no stress to go out the door with it. It's the best gun for a first gun. Any of the snub nose revolvers will do. But a small pocket revolver. 5 in the chamber. Ready to go. Can't beat it.

Their will be guys who say "5 isn't enough ammo". Ask them if they'd like to be shot 5 times with it. Don't be one of those guys out the gate. The tactifool "I don't leave the house without 3 clips holding 30 rounds of hollow tip ammo".

35446_fn.jpg

Depending on how rich your blood is. FN Five Seven is just beautiful and it's amazing. One of the most beloved and trusted side arms in the community. Feels fantastic. Shoots fantastic. But is of course priced accordingly.

Mossberg 500

s-l640.jpg

Because it's a mossberg 500.

And it's the god of guns.

Hope all this helps.

Back
Top Bottom