One pistol do all mindset

Hi all,

First post here. As I await my LTC renewal to come (45 days now and counting), I have had the urge to purchase my first pistol. Whether my intent is for target shooting, home defense, carry, conversation starter at the club, etc. is it possible or even advisable to have one pistol to check all the boxes and do well in all of them?

I am under a mindset, being a new owner, that having more than one pistol may interfere with how I'm able to adapt to it all situations. Different grip angles, sight planes, bore axis, grip feel, blah blah blah... I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times, but given my situation I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

On hold at the local shop is a Sig P320 compact, Sig Pro Cut Slide and Leupold Deltapoint Pro with lower 1/3 co-witness sights.

In before someone says Glock.

My suggestion, find a buddy who owns guns and try a few, then go to a rental place, like Granite state range in southern NH, and try everything they have. Find what you like, and go from there. I think you will find tho, the same way you dont have just 1 wrench, you wont have just 1 gun, ill give you my example/ I love history, so for my first gun, I got a 1911. I loved it, its a tack driver, sexy gun, and fun to shoot, but I quickly realized it sucks to carry. From there, I kept trying striker guns, and realized I really liked how the P365 felt, and got it for carry; its small, accurate and holds 10 rounds, perfect for that roll. Then, I realized that if something goes bump in the night, i wanted something with more capacity, and capable of holding a light, so I kept trying a few more, and eventually arrived at a P226. I liked the SA trigger, but liked having the DA for that first pull, I could also attach a light to it, and the heft helped me stay on target. Its great for a nightstand gun, and awesome for the range. Basically, its up to you. I dont love striker guns, so I went with SA, but it may not be the case for you.

I dont think this is what you should do, .as again, you should find what works best for you, but if I had to choose just 1 gun to have, id probably go with a P226 legion. I prefer shooting the 1911, but I find the P226 more versatile. That being said I wouldnt carry it. So i guess I go back to having atleast 2 guns, cause I love me that P365!

Next stop, rifles....you need atleast like 3 or 4.

Edit - Dammit, got beat to the line with the glock comment.

Your on hold Sig should serve your well, at least until you get the inevitable itch for something else/more.
I know you said this is your first post, but if you've been "lurking", you should know by now that there will be no shortage of opinions here.
That may be helpful, may not be.
Besides, you don't want to piss off your local shop by changing your mind 20 times on your first purchase.
Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Cripes, you guys are quick. Thanks.

I was expecting to have Glock thrown in here somewhere, and fast too. Believe me, I have been trying to keep my eyes off of a 17, but not into paying beaucoup dollars for a GEN 2. But I may go for it if I am tempted by price.

Yes, it does seem like I should pay a visit to a range to try stuff out. I should have done that to begin with BUT I fell in love holding a P320 compact. If all else fails I will resell and consider the loss in $$$ a rental fee.

So now I am thinking... is there a two pistol combo that covers ALL bases. Thinking out loud it looks like this. Sig P320 Compact and a Sig 226/229.

Sig P320, Pro-cut slide, DPP Pro for: Carry and range fun, practice
Sig 226/229 for: Home defense, out West trips...
Ruger 10/22 for: Plinking

Whether my intent is for target shooting, home defense, carry, conversation starter at the club, etc. is it possible or even advisable to have one pistol to check all the boxes and do well in all of them?
Very possible. After trying things out you may find the itch to own multiple, but don’t doubt yourself if you’re happy with just one. Some view guns as tools and get most of their needs met with a small number. And the guy owning one gun can get really proficient with that one with training and regular practice.

You can have one gun to do it all.

The question is ... will it excell on all tasks or be OK on all tasks?

For example, a good target gun might be bigger than a good CCW, which would make it uncomfortable to carry.

A good CCW might not be the most accurate due to the shorter sight radius, smaller grip and so on...but it could target shoot, maybe not as well as a dedicated target gun.

A target gun might have sights that are too big for CCW. Remember, you want as few things that will go wrong as possible. Anything that is sticking out of the gun can get caught on something when you need it.

Anyway, you get the idea. A can do B and C. But maybe not as well as a dedicated A gun, a dedicated B gun and a dedicated C gun.

Hi all,

First post here. As I await my LTC renewal to come (45 days now and counting), I have had the urge to purchase my first pistol. Whether my intent is for target shooting, home defense, carry, conversation starter at the club, etc. is it possible or even advisable to have one pistol to check all the boxes and do well in all of them?

I am under a mindset, being a new owner, that having more than one pistol may interfere with how I'm able to adapt to it all situations. Different grip angles, sight planes, bore axis, grip feel, blah blah blah... I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times, but given my situation I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

On hold at the local shop is a Sig P320 compact, Sig Pro Cut Slide and Leupold Deltapoint Pro with lower 1/3 co-witness sights.

I remember feeling this way when I was first starting out. But then I went into a gun store. Since then, I have never, ever, ever felt one pistol would do.

Couldn't you use the modular nature of the P320 to "make" a few different guns? i.e., a 45 ACP full size home defense, compact/subcompact carry, etc?

I thought that was kind of its purpose.

ETA: I was a one-pistol guy for a few years, P226. Not ideal for carry, but feasible.
Now, it's my nightstand gun with an Olight and a 20 round MecGar magazine.

Very possible. After trying things out you may find the itch to own multiple, but don’t doubt yourself if you’re happy with just one. Some view guns as tools and get most of their needs met with a small number. And the guy owning one gun can get really proficient with that one with training and regular practice.

This is what I was trying to get at. Been watching videos of all those tactical dudes on the internet, very talented and very specialized. They never switch guns, they stand by one pistol and get very familiar with it. I get there are enthusiasts out there owning multiple pistols but does one really need that many options. The one tool analogy, different type of hammers for a particular job OR what about the Swiss Army knife/multi=tool approach?

P320 compact isn’t a bad option for a do-all pistol. If it feels better in your hand than a G19, then you made the right choice. You can even change out the frame easily for different purposes.

Now just pick up a weapon light for it, and some various ammo.
Target shooting: whatever is cheap and shoots well in the gun
Competition: 147gr Sig JHP match ammo
Home defense: JHP of your choice
Carry: Underwood/Lehigh 90gr xtreme defender so you are more barrier blind than JHP
Hiking: Underwood/Lehigh 115gr xtreme penetrator for larger critters (xtreme defender is probably fine in this situation too)

You’ve got most things covered with that pistol, a light, and the right ammo.

The only thing not covered that you mentioned is being a conversation starter. That’s just not going to happen with a utility pistol like we’re discussing. Actually, if you ordered a Flux Defense brace frame and barrel w/compensator for the P320 compact, you’d have the conversation starter aspect down too.

Couldn't you use the modular nature of the P320 to "make" a few different guns? i.e., a 45 ACP full size home defense, compact/subcompact carry, etc?

Yes, this is very interesting which is why I bought the P320 + Pro-cut slide for one purpose, standard compact slide for another purpose and possible a longer slide for another purpose...

P320 compact isn’t a bad option for a do-all pistol. If it feels better in your hand than a G19, then you made the right choice. You can even change out the frame easily for different purposes.

Now just pick up a weapon light for it, and some various ammo.
Target shooting: whatever is cheap and shoots well in the gun
Competition: 147gr Sig JHP match ammo
Home defense: JHP of your choice
Carry: Underwood/Lehigh 90gr xtreme defender so you are more barrier blind than JHP
Hiking: Underwood/Lehigh 115gr xtreme penetrator for larger critters (xtreme defender is probably fine in this situation too)

You’ve got most things covered with that pistol, a light, and the right ammo.

The only thing not covered that you mentioned is being a conversation starter. That’s just not going to happen with a utility pistol like we’re discussing. Actually, if you ordered a Flux Defense brace frame and barrel w/compensator for the P320 compact, you’d have the conversation starter aspect down too.

Absolutely informative.

ETA: I was a one-pistol guy for a few years, P226. Not ideal for carry, but feasible.
Now, it's my nightstand gun with an Olight and a 20 round MecGar magazine.

Yup, but I think you still have to stick within your caliber range. He could put his compact slide on either a subcompact grip module for concealed carry, and put it on a “carry” grip module for more finger space than his current compact grip module has if he didn’t care about concealment. The larger grip modules would require a new slide I think.

Yup, but I think you still have to stick within your caliber range. He could put his compact slide on either a subcompact grip module for concealed carry, and put it on a “carry” grip module for more finger space than his current compact grip module has if he didn’t care about concealment. The larger grip modules would require a new slide I think.
Yeah, I know there's some particular things you need to keep straight with grip/caliber/slide, etc. I didn't really get into the 320 much since it seemed like what I wanted to do resulted in nearly the cost of a new pistol, like $300 or something. A friend does have the P320 Compact in 9 and it's a decent pistol.

If you can find a Sig P210 it will most likely fit all your needs. * not the new one "SIG Sauer P210" but one of the older ones the Sig P210
Target shooting - Yes
Home defense - Yes,
Carry - although a little large still a - Yes
Conversation starter at the club - Yes
Easy to shoot 9mm, do well in all the above, with practice *(and that would be with any firearm) - Yes

unless you need immediate protection, I'd suggest some flavor of .22 . Trigger time is critical to learn how to shoot and it's tough to beat 6 cents per bang. You can go wrong with a ruger.

Make some friends and try their stuff

What he said. We all make the same mistake, buy that perfect cc pistol that will do it all for you. For me it was a sig p938. It is an incredible gun.............. now. As a first gun, it sucked.

You will never own just one gun. It is impossible to do. I guarantee that within your first year you will own at least three. So with that said, get a 22lr pistol. SR22 or one of the mark series. Cheap as hell to shoot, no worries about recoil and you will learn the proper technique. After that, go to town. I still shoot the 22 at every range session. It is my warm up gun, good for about 300 rounds between my wife and I, before moving to the other calibers.

I had five guns after my first year and I learned to reload for my 9mm, 38sp and 357mag within that time frame. It is a ridiculous hobby. Just an endless money pit of pure unadulterated fun. Pete

Yeah, I know there's some particular things you need to keep straight with grip/caliber/slide, etc. I didn't really get into the 320 much since it seemed like what I wanted to do resulted in nearly the cost of a new pistol, like $300 or something. A friend does have the P320 Compact in 9 and it's a decent pistol.

Yeah. I think it makes sense if you’re only buying one additional grip module, like having a carry or compact 320 for home/more forgiving carry, and a subcompact frame for those times when you need a little more conceal-ability. As soon as you need another slide, it’s best to just get another pistol.

Back
Top Bottom