One of our own lost his home to a fire

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I feel this is something I need to learn more about and probably everyone could benefit.

I always wondered, how would I prove the value of everything I own to an insurance company if this ever happened to me.
In my experience they give you market value not replacement value and will make general assumptions based on your policy (i.e. they aren't itemizing your valuables that you didn't mention when you bought the policy) unless you have a specific rider with coverage over the baseline. In other words, prepare to be screwed without a lawyer.

I'd also like to help him out directly - check or paypal kinda things.
-will monitor thread for those possible options.

Absolutely get a public adjustor. My sister works with one... Gallagher Public Adjustors in Leicester. Very thorough as their group also does construction, engineering and design (my sister's end of things). Insurance adjusters want to do the very minimum. Well worth a call.

Been through 2 house fires in my life. Neither were total losses thankfully, but basically lost everything I owned at the time, each time. Such a nightmare to deal with.

I’d also like the ‘cheque option’ if available, but i will send a donation regardless if that’s not a possibility.

my second and most devastating house fire was dec10, 2006...there’s no GOOD time for this kinda thing to happen, but there’s not much worse time than just before the holidays.

Tell HK I'm sorry to hear. If there's anything I can do, please ask and I'll see if I can be of help!

Will be sending a donation today, if he needs more please keep us updated.

Hi guys I’m posting this to see I can get some help for one of our own. Our beloved HKdrummer had a fire at his house and it was a total loss. He’s a close personal friend of mine and has been a member here for over a decade. There is a GoFundMe set up to help his family sort out and recover from this shitty situation. Here’s a link for anybody who’d like to donate
Thanks for the heads up will hit the gofundme site this morning.

Receipts or proof of payment.
Adjusters do get a lot of stuff, but miss the boat on certain things as far as dollar value.
Went through it in 2016.

Interesting. For electronics and furniture I keep pictures. But I don't keep receipts for clothing, and I have over $5K of clothing. Hiking gear alone is like $1500, that I have receipts for.

I guess I would get screwed on most things.

I got a better idea than just a check.
100% of the winning bid goes to HK.
200 rounds of CCI Stinger
200 rounds of CCI Mini Mags
250 rounds of Federal 115 grain 9MM. View attachment 414347

Bid it up boys and girls. It’s for one of us!!!

Pickup sort of near Carlisle.
Can I add to this? 500 CCI LR Primers.

Interesting. For electronics and furniture I keep pictures. But I don't keep receipts for clothing, and I have over $5K of clothing. Hiking gear alone is like $1500, that I have receipts for.

I guess I would get screwed on most things.

I save em for warranty reasons. If you have high end suits, then the "burden of proof" is on you for cost.
You get screwed on everything, "Depreciation" is a fun word they like to toss around.
You can also negotiate the % of the cut that the hired adjuster takes. Thats something I wish I had known when it all happened.

People, please learn to use your computers: You can specify how much of your donation is paid to GoFundMe. Like, in real american hard currency.

From the GoFundMe Site
Please keep in mind that there is still a payment processing fee of 2.9% plus $0.30 per donation that goes directly to our payment processor. Payment processing fees are unavoidable on any crowdfunding platform because all online payments need to be verified and securely transferred. Rest assured that GoFundMe receives no portion of this fee and it is sent directly to one of our payment processors. The remaining amount is then sent to the fundraiser organizer.

My point is that the entire donation doesn't make it to the person.

Hi guys I’m posting this to see I can get some help for one of our own. Our beloved HKdrummer had a fire at his house and it was a total loss. He’s a close personal friend of mine and has been a member here for over a decade. There is a GoFundMe set up to help his family sort out and recover from this shitty situation. Here’s a link for anybody who’d like to donate

when he rebuilds i'll give him a deal on re-insulating his house

Back
Top Bottom