One of our own lost his home to a fire

Hi guys I’m posting this to see I can get some help for one of our own. Our beloved HKdrummer had a fire at his house and it was a total loss. He’s a close personal friend of mine and has been a member here for over a decade. There is a GoFundMe set up to help his family sort out and recover from this shitty situation. Here’s a link for anybody who’d like to donate

Wow, that's a tough situation. I'm sure if I was in his shoes I'd need all the help I could get. Gonna give him some $$.

edit: THREE cats lost?? 😿😿😿

Ooofff. Super sucks .

Will glance at the page and pass it along. And revisit after next paycheck. I remember liking the guys posts.

Is there a link to the report? Sucks about the pets. We have some "provisions" for helping out about in case of bad things, but never know if it's enough.

Spare crates in 'm external space l, collapabale crates under porch, escape hatch in basement.

I'm broke at the moment but I can still send a small donation.

Let me know if he has Paypal or Venmo.

Edit:

Or, even his real name and address and I'll use bill pay to send a check.

No rush.

They can use money in a couple weeks, too.

Last edited:
I lost a house to a fire in 2010. @HKdrummer , I feel for you man. You've got a long road a head of you. Few points from my experience:
1. Hire a private insurance adjuster. Im sure 5 of them have already been in touch with you. (They are ambulance chasers) but well worth the $. They pay for themselves in no time. Their fees are negotiable. Don't accept 1st offer if that's the route you go.
2. Your insurance company isn't your friend
3. I know with mine, my insurance company was on the hook for all meals until proper living space was setup. (Took 12 days to get a mobile home setup on my front yard). Refer to my second point and enjoy steak everyday.
4. Your insurance company isn't your friend. Do not accept their 1st or even their 3rd offer. To give you real #s, they offered me 86k plus 40k for belongings. They ended up paying 168k plus 110k for belongings.

Any options other than gofundme? I’d rather not give them a $5 “tip”.
You can select other and enter 0 dollars for gofundme. The other platforms just take from your donation to the family rather than asking your for a donation to the platform. Imo it's much more ethical this way.

Running a large transaction based website is not cheap, I work in the industry. I'm not saying 10%+ is a fair ask, but I tossed them a buck or two.

I lost a house to a fire in 2010. @HKdrummer , I feel for you man. You've got a long road a head of you. Few points from my experience:
1. Hire a private insurance adjuster. Im sure 5 of them have already been in touch with you. (They are ambulance chasers) but well worth the $. They pay for themselves in no time. Their fees are negotiable. Don't accept 1st offer if that's the route you go.
2. Your insurance company isn't your friend
3. I know with mine, my insurance company was on the hook for all meals until proper living space was setup. (Took 12 days to get a mobile home setup on my front yard). Refer to my second point and enjoy steak everyday.
4. Your insurance company isn't your friend. Do not accept their 1st or even their 3rd offer. To give you real #s, they offered me 86k plus 40k for belongings. They ended up paying 168k plus 110k for belongings.
Don't mean to derail the thread, but I feel this is something I need to learn more about and probably everyone could benefit.

I always wondered, how would I prove the value of everything I own to an insurance company if this ever happened to me.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I feel this is something I need to learn more about and probably everyone could benefit.

I always wondered, how would I prove the value of everything I own to an insurance company if this ever happened to me.

Receipts or proof of payment.
Adjusters do get a lot of stuff, but miss the boat on certain things as far as dollar value.
Went through it in 2016.

Back
Top Bottom