• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One of Approximately 200 known to exist

USMA-82

NES Member
Never thought I'd see one, never mind pick it up and examine it. But, I did this past weekend at Pack and Postal:

It can be all yours (along with the Mark I Springfield Model 1903) for about $25K

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Very cool. According to the internet, there are less than 100 in existence.

Do you have the mags, etc... that go with it?

Friend of a friend brought one to our club years ago prior to a militaria show in Springfield. We got to fire a couple of mags through the old 03, with a tarp spread out to catch the tiny little .30 brass. He said he fires it often. Very cool experience.

You need to find the ammo also.

There is one at Shooters Outpost. Not sure if it's for sale or just display. I never asked because it's not in my budget.

The owner had a decent amount of brass, and he was able to make more by cutting down a common caliber, but I can't remember the details.

Very cool piece.

I was told once (no idea if it's true or not) that many thousands of these existed once, but that they were scrapped after the war.

The Top Secret Device

Exactly how many are actually out there remains a mystery. None of these came up for sale for nearly 20 years or more until the first one was at a James Julia auction in Fairfield Maine. I really wanted the device, and passed on many good machinegun deals waiting for the item to come up. I stopped at $58,000.00 and the winner ended up paying $60,000.00 + a 15% premium. Six months later, Amoskeag Auction Co. had one come up that I ended up getting for less than half of the one in Maine. And a year later bought another that was complete with magazines, pouches, and the extremely rare hard case that attached to the pistol belt. There are a reported eight of the hard cases known to exist as most were thrown away. It's a really cool piece of history even though very few were ever used in the trenches. The project was top secret as it was feared that Germany would capture one and modify the Mauser rifles to use them against us.

How bad ass this thing must have been in a trench with 40 rounds of semi auto fire "especially if you were the point man"

On another note: If you know anyone that has one that's broken, John Andrewski at Manchester Firing Line has made replacement barrels and a few other parts after reverse engineering parts from mine. The unit itself would be very hard to reproduce. John has repaired at least four units that others sent to him after learning that he has some replacement parts.

If anyone would like to see, touch, and check it out: Both units are on display at Shooters Outpost in Hooksett.
Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom