1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One More (Computer) thing - MozyPro Sucking

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Greschner 4, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

We've been using MozyPro for many years and it's been fine. But as of late, it has really sucked. Backups don't always back up and Mozy Sync has been extremely unreliable (read: not working all the time).

But the last couple weeks, it has really sucked. I called support (5th time in 3 weeks) and after being reminded that Carbonite bought Mozy, the rep. had to remind himself they we were on a recorded line because he clearly wanted to convey, GTFO. They've laid off 200 people, there aren't nearly enough engineers to service the transition (and mitigate problems), so the migration to the Carbonite platform has not been smooth.

So, what other cloud storage options do you recommend that has a "sync" option for file sharing with other company users? And to be clear, were a very small "executive benefit" shop that doesn't require all the tech sophistication that has been suggested.

I guess the other question I neglected to ask, for those using Carbonite, how's it working out for you? TIA

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

2. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

Anybody use IDrive? It's seems to get good reviews?

3. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i too am curious. Would like somewhere online to dump a shit ton of pictures and other stuff, but it needs to be rock solid reliable. From what i see....these cloud storage services are going tits up every day

4. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

Google Drive?

5. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

Spoke to another customer service tech this morning as the service continues to fail. Essentially, he said: I've got my problems, you've got yours! lolz

6. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Get a company account of Microsoft OneDrive and Cloudfinder as your archive solution. Done.

idrive sucks

7. chrbla2000

chrbla2000 NES Member

Microsoft OneDrive is pretty good IMO. Not sure if you're paying for an O365 account already, but if you are, then start using OneDrive, it's included. You can restore files, restore a specific version of the file, and share via email address if you aren't using AD, by username if you are.

8. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

The filing sharing (sync) is an incredibly useful tool. Does OneDrive provide for this?

9. chrbla2000

chrbla2000 NES Member

Yeah, you can get granular with file sharing in OneDrive, from sharing your entire OneDrive, to a sub-folder, to an individual file. You can also put a OneDrive client on your phone and have access to your files on the go.

10. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

You're talking about like 25 bucks a month for a company one drive with archiving at a file level forever.

If you need to skinflint lower than coffee money......mark up the 'executive benefits' by a buck apiece

11. whatluck

whatluck

Self-hosted Nextcloud on a VPS somewhere

12. RapidTransit

RapidTransit NES Member

I use Backblaze, but I don't use their desktop software, I do full backup every week and 15 min snap shots to a Synology NAS -> Backblaze. I have used Carbonite it's good, but I needed full backups at the time they only offered non system files.

13. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

This is about shit working, not skinflinting - though I am a card carrying skinflintonian.

vicorjh likes this.
  14. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I've been using something you've probably never heard of for several years now, sync.com. You pick a folder on a drive, and whatever files are in it get sync'ed to this service, with end to end encryption. It resembles dropbox, but without all the watching what you're doing and banning you for false positives on allegedly copyrighted files. I just make sure whatever files I need automatically backed up to place in the sync drive.

15. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

We've got over 1000 desks on it.....so it's not a lightly-given recommendation.