One Man's Opinion

RKG

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recently-closed thread that started with an innocuous question about a traffic accident is not the first thread on this forum eventually to evoke one or more responses that indict police officers as a group with broad negative generalities.

In fact, as a group, police officers are human beings whose personalities range from dedicated public servants to emotionally troubled bullies, and include most everything in between. In this regard, the set of people who are police officers is not different from the sets who are plumbers, electricians, college professors, computer programmers, or anything else.

Dismissing all police officers as boors is about as logical as dismissing all gun owners as dangerous nuts, and such baseless generalities do little to enhance the reputation of either their authors or this forum.

Nothing further.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
A very well-written and thoughtful post.

My somewhat educated theory is that people who blindly lump all members of a given profession/race/religion/whatever group you may choose together with only one set of "characteristics" are demonstrating more about themselves than the group. I would accept that there may be rare examples with extremely small groups. For some people it may be very hard to accept that the interaction they have with others may not be the norm for all.

william_munny

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
And on the other hand, there seems to be a group of people here (not talking about the OP) who take any criticism of police actions, even when they are just of an individual incident and/or officer, as anti-police sentiment.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
And on the other hand, there seems to be a group of people here (not talking about the OP) who take any criticism of police actions, even when they are just of an individual incident and/or officer, as anti-police sentiment.
People like that are a subset of what RKG was talking about.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I agree. I have issues with the militarizing of the police, the abuses, and a lot of the laws re: the 4th amendment but by and large cops have been pretty decent to me. I never got a traffic ticket for anything I wasn't 100% guilty of (and I paid them all). The attitudes of one or two of them could have been improved, but I can't really argue with giving me "stonewall professionalism".

Top Bottom