• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One guys exploration into casting bullets...

I meant to ask jacketed in a 14
good quality 55s fmj will do just fine in a 1-9 Some of the lighter bullets in a 1-9 may reach "poof" rpm/velocity.
I have a few boxes of rem 223 35gn varmint ammo thats around 4000fps or so. I know these "poof" at 20 yards or so out of the 1-9._
The rifle these where shot through was a 24" 1 -14 twist which on the flip side 55s sometimes tumbled and heavier always.

This has nothing to do with .223 Remington, but pictured are the results of using Frontier plated bullets in 7.62x51mm (FR-7) or was it in 7.5x55mm (K 31)?
I don't keep very good records, but I know I wasn't pushing these anywhere near maximum velocity. My understanding of the swirl is that it is a signal of impending bullet destruction (I don't really know).
You might want to use bullets suited for the .220 Swift and .22-250 Remington for your warp speed .223 loads.

Attachments

• swirls1b.jpg
    swirls1b.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 7
  • swirls1a.jpg
    swirls1a.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
This has nothing to do with .223 Remington, but pictured are the results of using Frontier plated bullets in 7.62x51mm (FR-7) or was it in 7.5x55mm (K 31)?
I don't keep very good records, but I know I wasn't pushing these anywhere near maximum velocity. My understanding of the swirl is that it is a signal of impending bullet destruction (I don't really know):
cool so thats basically lead vapor caught in the bullets slip stream ?

I guess so. I'd think it is lead flowing from the plating as the bullet is disintegrating...?
I never recovered any of these bullets to see the remains.
There are some of these reloads in my stash, so at some point, maybe I can shoot them under more controlled conditions and research it a bit more.

I suppose a molten bullet impacting human tissue could be quite devastating, but I doubt this was the intent of Frontier. Who knows!

Last edited:
Updates:
I've been collecting material to smelt and casings when there is a pile of them to pick up in front of me.
Ive gotten my casting results to be more uniform and have a good amount of coated bullets ready to load once the primers start showing back up. RCBS bottom pour was a good investment and the PID controller I have now hooked up to my convection oven. So the process is pretty well set up as far as equipment goes.
I have not purchased a .223 mold yet but still want one. same for the Dillon conversion from 9mm to .223
I havent been super lucky at scoring 1k primer boxes. I don’t even want to mention what the local guy down here asks for a sleeve of 100 when he can even get them.
What have I left out or forgotten to mention?

Updates:
I've been collecting material to smelt and casings when there is a pile of them to pick up in front of me.
Ive gotten my casting results to be more uniform and have a good amount of coated bullets ready to load once the primers start showing back up. RCBS bottom pour was a good investment and the PID controller I have now hooked up to my convection oven. So the process is pretty well set up as far as equipment goes.
I have not purchased a .223 mold yet but still want one. same for the Dillon conversion from 9mm to .223
I havent been super lucky at scoring 1k primer boxes. I don’t even want to mention what the local guy down here asks for a sleeve of 100 when he can even get them.
What have I left out or forgotten to mention?
Pics or it didn’t happen

So I’m still at it!

Been collecting scrap and making ingots in the off seasons. Casting and coating in the winters. Batches of wheel weights and range scrap (separately) that I’ve been lucky enough to come across.

I have a few new molds, all in 9mm still. I got the mp handles to a drill press and put a pin in them to keep the handles from sliding off. I will have to post a pic of that sometime.

I have been having a few conversations off the thread that have taught me more about coating and I have not documented every lesson I have learned here yet, but that is my intention: to make posts from time to time to document the lessons I’ve learned and to hear other members comments so I can continue to learn.

This weekends issue is: getting back to coating.

Issues that came up:
Calibrating my PID. It was reading 30 degrees too cool. I need to find the instructions for how to do that on the promelt 2. It is same PID controller that is in a lot of stuff I see online.

Subsequently my first coat didn’t cure on a few batches and I’ve recooked a few times.

I also think I need to add a little acetone because the solutions have been sitting covered at basement temps for a year.

I also think my first coat of 1ml per 1lb was still too heavy (was going to do 1.5ml per 1lb for the 2nd and 3rd coat, if I do a 3rd).

So I’ve passed casting the 10k round mark, and I’m still working on mastering the coating process. I think I had it figured out last winter but I apparently didn’t write it down then, and now I’m back to “America’s Test Kitchen” antics.

I took a section of roofing lead and cut a inch wide strip off and cut a bunch of 1/2 in rectangle out and stamped them with number so I can identify and track my baskets during the coating process.

And my 147gr molds droppings are weighing in at 155gr.

And from now, on my “bitching about my pot dripping” posts will be housed here :)
6424C475-A902-4E71-8E45-66C44CBD2C39.jpeg

Nice updates!

Like anything else when you leave it alone for 5 months you start over when you get back. Until you’ve got a few seasons under your belt.

Or you could set up and oven on the boat and convince the GF that’s it’s just to keep you in practice so you don’t waste expensive acetone next winter.

Nice updates!

Like anything else when you leave it alone for 5 months you start over when you get back. Until you’ve got a few seasons under your belt.

Or you could set up and oven on the boat and convince the GF that’s it’s just to keep you in practice so you don’t waste expensive acetone next winter.
I think I just need to convince her to allow Hi-tek bottles to be stored in our fridge.

So today I set out to switch the Dillon 650 over from loading 9mm 125gr no lube groove to 9mm 147gr (actually weighing in at 155gr) no lube groove. I want to work up a few loads and test them coming up to this weekends steel shoot.

The first bullet I put in the machine came out at a COL of 1.148. Which is well lower than saami max of 1.169. I lined it up next to my hornady xtp and it’s shorter by a bit. This is set at the same settings I already had been reloading the 125gr on.

The 147gr bullets them selves are quite a bit longer than the 125gr.

Is there anything else I should be checking or tuning before I move onto dropping powder for a starting load?

Left to right: hornady xtp, 125gr handload (shoots great), 147gr dummy round, 125gr bullet, 147gr bullet. C7708F6C-F316-4078-B16B-DCDFEE466F2F.jpeg

Try to find some heavy load data and see what the bullet seating depth is. It may be longer but it may not be.

Did you see if you can seat them out further and still feed and chamber?

@Broccoli Iglesias was working towards some heavy loads for his revolver. He might have some data hanging around

BFDF9DB6-DEF5-4116-9C1B-142A015B7BBE.png 7EA159D5-160E-440B-A648-7B06CE1A24FC.png

So today I set out to switch the Dillon 650 over from loading 9mm 125gr no lube groove to 9mm 147gr (actually weighing in at 155gr) no lube groove. I want to work up a few loads and test them coming up to this weekends steel shoot.

The first bullet I put in the machine came out at a COL of 1.148. Which is well lower than saami max of 1.169. I lined it up next to my hornady xtp and it’s shorter by a bit. This is set at the same settings I already had been reloading the 125gr on.

The 147gr bullets them selves are quite a bit longer than the 125gr.

Is there anything else I should be checking or tuning before I move onto dropping powder for a starting load?

Left to right: hornady xtp, 125gr handload (shoots great), 147gr dummy round, 125gr bullet, 147gr bullet. View attachment 591686
Yes, you should check the longer bullet is not compressing the powder.

You are using the same seating depth for a longer bullet.

Some powders call for compression, for example N320, but that scares me, so I seat the bullets further out.

I dont worry about Saami max length, I only care about 2 things:

1. Is powder being compressed?
2. Will this work in whatever gun I want to use it?

My 165 grain loads are like 1.18 (around there, I need to check my notes). But those only work in a revolver, too long for semi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom