• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One eye vs both eyes open

I shoot with both eyes open with handguns and shotguns. One eye closed for scoped rifle or iron sight rifle.

I have always felt that both eyes open with handguns gives me greater target awareness

I have to shoot with both eyes open. I'm right handed but partially blind in my right eye (without the help from my left) which forces me to be cross eye dominate, which is incredible frustrating. Plus, in a personal defense situation I wouldn't want to lose half my field of vision [smile]

Cross eyed feels natural after a while. Even if you were fully sighted in both eyes, shooting cross eyed is better than shooting with the non-dominant eye.

I've mentioned Brent Purucker before. He was an instructor at the S&W Academy and eventually became head of LE and Mil sales. He shot revolver in IDPA from the early days (1998) and he shot cross eyed. In fact, he was on the cover of the S&W Academy catalog one year and you could clearly see him lining the gun up with the "wrong" eye. I wish I could find that picture.

Brian Enos talks about the scotch tape trick in Practical Shooting; his main point in keeping both eyes open was admitting more light into your awareness, as well as minimizing stress/tension in the eyes and neck. I'm still getting used to it, but I think it's something I can incorporate.

One other trick that works instead of scotch tape is lipstick, vaseline, or chapstick.

If you find yourself at the range with a new shooter who is having trouble, chances are you won't have scotch tape. But there's a decent chance somebody will have one of the above. Use just a dab in the right spot to block the non-dominant eye's view of the sights. Works like a charm.

One other trick that works instead of scotch tape is lipstick, vaseline, or chapstick.

If you find yourself at the range with a new shooter who is having trouble, chances are you won't have scotch tape. But there's a decent chance somebody will have one of the above. Use just a dab in the right spot to block the non-dominant eye's view of the sights. Works like a charm.
Nice tip!

I have the hardest time shooting both eyes open, but the funny thing is that i can shoot my bow with a peepsight fine that way. I just dont get a good sight alignment with both eyes open.

Both eyes give you a better view of your peripherals. When you use low power scopes and optics like a red dot sight you can use both eyes. They were designed for that reason. One eye for handguns and iron sights. At least this works for me. Shotguns are tricky but I can use both eyes if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom