• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One Day Appleseed: Sunday September 18, 2016 -- Harvard Sportsman's Club

slap, I can drive to Taunton, I live near Gillette stadium. I work an hour away, though, till 4. I'd love to work something out at SOME point to visit, thank you.

unfortunately I'm most likely going to be doing a morning trip this week. I'm off so I like to take advantage of the empty range. If you haven't researched npoa that's what do as homework in preparation.

I ran into HBennett at our local range on Sunday. Judging by our conversation the other day, I anticipate that this will be an incredible and worth-while event for anybody. Just listening to the gentleman speak about Appleseed makes you want to shoot it as soon as possible. I'll be signing up tonight for this Appleseed and I'm very much looking forwards to it! Time to order a sling and a couple more mags!

Shooters! There's just over a week left, but still time to sign up. Since this is a one day event, this is a perfect opportunity for anyone wanting to "try" an Appleseed but doesn't want to commit to an entire weekend. For new shooters there will be a separate ranged dedicated to teaching the basics.

This event will also be a chance for Appleseed veterans looking for an opportunity to reach that Rifleman score. There will be a "grinder" range just for you!

No matter what your skill level, come on down! You will certainly have plenty to tell come Monday morning when your co-workers ask "What did YOU do this weekend?"

Fine day of rifle marksmanship instruction and practice at Harvard under the leadership of hbennett, lupis42 and aim. Many thanks to the Appleseed instructor corps for their expertise and encouragement. Here's video of a typical course of fire on one of two ranges used:

Shooting Army Qualification Test (AQT) targets at 25 meters (82 feet). AQTs present "British Red Coat" silhouettes sized to replicate ranges of 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. Typical course of fire: 40 rounds in 4 minutes, 10 rounds offhand targeting 1 Red Coat at an effective 100 yards, 10 rounds sitting or kneeling targeting 2 Red Coats at 200 yards, 10 rounds prone targeting 3 Red Coats at 300 yards, 10 rounds prone targeting 4 Red Coats at 400 yards. Targets are scored using a challenging point system: 125-169 qualifies as Marksman, 170-209 Sharpshooter, 210 or more Rifleman (Expert). At this shoot, 6 of 20+ participants, using a variety of rifle models and calibers, semiautomatic and bolt-action, under the expert tutelage of experienced Appleseed instructors earned the coveted Rifleman patch. All shooters learned and improved, and 14 will be back for the next shoot determined to attain their Rifleman status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow up from a first time Appleseeder's perspective:

The one day course was a fantastic experience whether you were a newcomer such as myself or a Veteran. I'm glad Roy Rogers posted a video from yesterday showing the perspective from the Veteran or "grinder range," it really helps show that there were shooters from all walks of life with various amounts of shooting experience utilizing various types of rifles and sighting arrangements, I believe two individuals earned rifleman yesterday with a bolt-action and that is OUTSTANDING considering how the AQT is shot in New England.

As a newbie, I opted to go to the beginner range to soak in all the basics the Applessed way. I am incredibly proud that my best AQT score was a 196 for my first Appleseed shoot and I'm already planning on attending another shoot. The encouragement, paitience, and tutelage under Andre (AIM), not to mention the assistance from the Junior Instructors as well, was top notch and he is a very effective Instructor and I would like to publically thank him, Mark, and Angelina for doing a fantastic job volunteering for RWVA and running a safe range.

I would also like to thank HBennett, again, this event's Shoot Boss for running it safely and smoothly; as well as "selling" myself and many others on attending an Appleseed. It is definitely worth spending a day or even a full two day weekend, not only for the top notch basic marksman/rifleman training but the important history lesson intertwined as well. All the aspects learned through an Appleseed such as the 6 Steps to Firing a Shot, will translate over to other disciplines of shooting.

It was also pretty good to run into several other NES'rs and put a face to a name. It was a pleasure to meet you Joe, Angela, and Scott!

Most people has scopes - is the training better with optics or with iron sights?

if you're a younger shooter and can see the target with irons, you should use irons. At 'advancing' ages, an optic makes a difference.

While I am stubborn, and prefer the simplicity and reliability of irons, I acknowledge that after 50, irons do become much more challenging. It seems that more and more of my rifles are starting to sprout optics..

In short, you got to work with what God gave you. If irons aren't an option, by all means use optics.

A rifleman's score is a rifleman's score, no matter what you use. Now, that being said, I personally have the most respect for hardcore shooters who make the grade with a bolt-gun and iron sights. It's the shooters prerogative to make it as easy or challenging as they want. What do YOU want to get out of it?

Last time I checked, the RMV driver's license test didn't specify whether you had to pass the test with an automatic or standard transmission. The same idea applies at Appleseed.

FWIW- I believe glass makes it easier.. It's amazing what you can do if you can actually SEE the target.. although you ARE supposed to be focusing on what? HINT: It isn't 25M away. Review step 4a.. If you've never been to an Appleseed, come to one. We'll teach you what step 4 a is!!

Last edited:
Even using contacts I had a hard time seeing the bottom row of targets at the Appleseed last spring.
That said I still haven't bought a scope and if I find the time to catch another event I'll attend regardless of irons or scope.

I was a first timer. I used a 10/22 with iron sights on the "grinder" range. I was good off hand, lights out sitting, and absolutely horrific prone. Now that I know how an Appleseed is run, I'll practice at my range and see if I can work out the prone kinks.

I'll be back for another one in the winter or spring. I'll earn one of those patches.

Back
Top Bottom