• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

One Day Appleseed: Sunday September 18, 2016 -- Harvard Sportsman's Club

Shooters! Only 5 short weeks before the September 18th event. Time to start getting your gear together..

Those so close to qualifying, start putting in a little practice .. NPOA..and dry fire..and dry fire..and dry fire some more..

September 18, 2016 will be only a one day Appleseed, and the instructors want to make a bunch of Riflemen at this event..

If you haven't already , time to sign up now!!!

Who's planning to attend?

Also, for anyone who might have forgotten:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...tsmen-s-Club?p=5132134&viewfull=1#post5132134
"We will give free admission at the next Harvard shoot (a one day on Sept 18th) to anyone who is at the statehouse Saturday instead of being at the Appleseed."
If you were busy practicing civic involvement on July 30th, and did not go to the Appleseed that weekend, sign up for this one as 'FREE Ticket - SPECIAL' and let the shoot boss know when you get there.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/harvar...ber-18-2016-one-day-event-tickets-21032400476

We will run as many lines as required, but if there is *any* demand, at least one of those will be an introductory, beginner-only, low-round-count line. Conversely, at least one of the lines will be an all-shooting, least-possible-talking opportunity.

Well, I signed up, finally.
I have 10/22s, and also an AR with both 5.56 and .22 uppers.
Choice of arms aside, I am curious if the theory will be taught.
Can I get a few hours of "this is NPOA, this is the sling, breathing, and cadence", and then be let loose to spend the rest of my time qualifying!?

As for "dry-firing", with my m4-22 upper, that is a STRICT NO-NO.

p.s. At the end of the day, could I try with .223?

thanks.
STKSHK

Last edited:
Can I get a few hours of "this is NPOA, this is the sling, breathing, and cadence", and then be let loose to spend the rest of my time qualifying!?

thanks.
STKSHK

a zeroed AR firing .223 at 25 yards is like standing a foot away from the dart board and placing the darts in the bullseye.

i say this because when I got back from my Appleseed I recreated the aqt at my range with 22 and my ar and the ar was pretty much automatic.

a zeroed AR firing .223 at 25 yards is like standing a foot away from the dart board and placing the darts in the bullseye.

i say this because when I got back from my Appleseed I recreated the aqt at my range with 22 and my ar and the ar was pretty much automatic.

This. Accuracy with bulk .22lr out of a 10/22 even with an upgraded trigger is a frustrating experience at best. If you can do nickle groups out of your 10/22 you should be able to 1 hole it with an AR

Well then you all must have long distance ranges. I don't.

I asked because Harvard allows center fire, and I wanted to equate the two calibers.
i haven't even shot 30 rounds out of my AR. Ever. I've only shot it one day.

so the question remains, am I allowed to shoot a few rounds at the end of the day.
(Please understand that I am looking for THE answer, not AN answer. Thanks.)

Yeah you can shoot whatever you want.

Also. If you don't mind driving to Taunton I'm happy to join you there at my club and run you through it. I'm off the week after next so I plan to shoot probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

thanks.
STKSHK

From past experience:
Yes, they will instruct on the theory. Being a one day event, some of the exercises may be truncated but there will be exercises during the day to practice the theory. The instructors will watch your progress and work with you on any corrections.

The shoot boss runs the event at a fast pace and, as a result, there will be plenty of AQTs. 25m isn't as easy as it seems and your zero will be critical (you'll have a chance to set-up early in the day). Don't get discouraged early on. You will see a dramatic improvement and possibly earn a patch if you listen to the instructors information.

Now's the time to visit the Appleseed website to get an idea of what you'll be doing. Standing, sitting, prone. You'll be moving in and out of those positions rapidly. Try the positions at home to get a feel for your flexible. In particular, what is your best sitting position (cross leg, cross ankle, kneeling, etc). If you'll be using a scope, set-up the eye relief so it works for you across all of the positions.

There will be sand and dirt. Bring something to protect your elbows and a hat! Wear long pants. Get a good nights sleep and be ready to absorb the knowledge!

Prob. number one, I do NOT get a good nights sleep... Ever.
Effitt, whaddevah.
I bought the 22 upper a few weeks ago, and swapped n zeroed my 223 scope at 25 m, shot 5-600 rounds of Aguilla through it. So far so good. Heavier than my 10/22s by DOUBLE.
btw, Aguilla= so much more consistent than bulk.

Prob. No. 2, this is the first time I'm not going out to just "have fun". Sling doesn't fit, stock is as close as it's going to get (I'm 6'3"). I haven't done a push up this CENTURY! And if it isn't benchrested, the poa is flopping around like a50 year old with a sling-less carbine and no muscle tone or guidance. :)

(yes, this is an ongoing endeavor, but I also don't like screwing up. Not even the first time.)

vic, thanks for the hints. And I've watched a few vids. Including the 90 minute history talk on 4/19/75 YouTube, freedom event, fantastic.

slap, I can drive to Taunton, I live near Gillette stadium. I work an hour away, though, till 4. I'd love to work something out at SOME point to visit, thank you.

Prob. number one, I do NOT get a good nights sleep... Ever.
Effitt, whaddevah.
I bought the 22 upper a few weeks ago, and swapped n zeroed my 223 scope at 25 m, shot 5-600 rounds of Aguilla through it. So far so good. Heavier than my 10/22s by DOUBLE.
btw, Aguilla= so much more consistent than bulk.

Prob. No. 2, this is the first time I'm not going out to just "have fun". Sling doesn't fit, stock is as close as it's going to get (I'm 6'3"). I haven't done a push up this CENTURY! And if it isn't benchrested, the poa is flopping around like a50 year old with a sling-less carbine and no muscle tone or guidance. :)

(yes, this is an ongoing endeavor, but I also don't like screwing up. Not even the first time.)

vic, thanks for the hints. And I've watched a few vids. Including the 90 minute history talk on 4/19/75 YouTube, freedom event, fantastic.

slap, I can drive to Taunton, I live near Gillette stadium. I work an hour away, though, till 4. I'd love to work something out at SOME point to visit, thank you.

If you're going for the patch (I assume you are), get the sling problem worked out. This piece will be critical towards establishing a stable base. Whatever sling you have, be sure that you can create a loop for a deliberate sling (e.g. http://artoftherifle.com/the-loop-sling).

The instructors are going to help you to get your POA solid. If you can establish a good NPOA, muscle strength will not be the primary concern. You're working to avoid giving the gun "guidance".

Between the three positions, off-hand is not going to be particularly stable. There is going to be some wobble (for me it's like being in an earthquake) but having a heavier rifle will actually help slow that down. For off-hand, you may actually purposefully induce some wobble. But it'll be a wobble with a consistent pattern. Don't worry about that now. You'll get it in practice.

Being NES, most of us haven't done a push-up since high school. Personally, I'm about at the point were I could start using my belly as a bench rest [laugh]. Simply, practice moving from standing to sitting, prone to sitting, sitting to standing, and standing to prone. Get a feel for how your body moves while holding the rifle in a safe direction. Do this several times to work out any kinks.

Most importantly, relax. Go with the flow. You'll have fun.

This is getting exciting, I kinda want to go too![grin]

No surprise, and another endorsement for Appleseed! The skill set learned and refined on the 10/22 translates to the CF at longer ranges. Instructors who attend the KD shoots with their big-bores find that the groups at long range look pretty much the same as their 10/22 at 25M groups.

A .22 with bulk ammo gives pretty much the same results as a service grade rifle with ball ammo. Exchange the bulk .22 for an AR with match-grade ammo or hand loads tuned for the rifle and be amazed at the difference! Start with basic equipment FIRST, learn and EARN the skill, and THEN upgrade the gear..

FWIW- not all .22 ammo is the same, and not all .22 rifles like the same thing. My stock 10/22's seem to like Winchester bulk ammo more than bulk Remington, or Federal.
YMMV -- I recommend a personal range day firing off the bench with some samples of different brands to get an idea of how it performs with an individual rifle. No point in going out of your way to find expensive and scarce match-grade ammo, when you might find an off the shelf brand performs "good enough".

A nickel size group with bulk ammo is more than good enough to qualify for Rifleman.

I'll let you know here once i decide to head over to the range.

Also, I forget, is it 2 minutes for the AQT?

Meh, That's for stage-by-stage.. the way the rest of the country does it.. We're New Englanders.. we gotta be different.. we drink a lot of coffee. we talk faster.. drive faster.. we don't like to waste time..

We can qualify for Rifleman in 4 minutes instead of 9...

FWIW- our round counts tend to be higher then the rest of the country too.. or so I've been told.

Last edited:
No worries for all the semi shooters. I'm a bolt guy. But at least now I'll use 10 round mags versus the tube fed I tried with last time. That was a hoot.

I asked because Harvard allows center fire, and I wanted to equate the two calibers.

so the question remains, am I allowed to shoot a few rounds at the end of the day.
Ask the Shoot Boss
For more information contact:

Name: MA State Coordinator Email Address: [email protected]

Name: lupis42 - Private Message to lupis42 on the Appleseed Forum Email Address: [email protected]

The answer is YES.
Hbennet will be running this one (no paperwork for me!), but I'll be there too.
You can shoot the whole day with .22, the whole day with .223, or switch between them at any point. Switching between them may cause you to miss a few strings to re-zeroing and equipment fiddling, but you can certainly do it during any prep period. Same procedure as if you had a rifle that barfed it's extractor, or some similar malf, and wanted to switch to a backup.
Depending on how much 223 is in your possession, you could just start with the 223 and go through everything with that. Bring a lot of ammo, we plan to maximize our time.

I'll bring plenty of .22; but since I'm bringing the lower, anyways, I will throw in a few mags of .223 with the second upper.

I will not be worried about accuracy with the 223 cause I took the scope off that upper for the 22LR. Sighting in the buis a little is enough to make it worth it to me.

FWIW -- A lot of folks get worked up about not having a sighted in rifle before coming to an Appleseed. The very FIRST exercise (after the obligatory Redcoat target) that happens at an Appleseed is that the shooters are given a target with 1" squares and they shoot to demonstrate their ability to shoot tight groups. This is a baseline to show the shooter, and the instructors how much work needs to be done.

If a shooter can put a nickel size group anywhere on the target, it is just a matter of moving the sights ( the IMC part of the seminar). IME, groups range from 4-5" (for beginners) to quarter or dime size (for seasoned shooters).

There are plenty of times during prep periods to adjust sights..tighten action screws (recommend) ..check that sights are still attached and not loose (that from experience)..and on and on..

The best thing to bring to an Appleseed is an OPEN MIND and LEARNABLE ATTITUDE. Chances are most students, even the more seasoned ones, don't do things the way Appleseed teaches...that's fine .. However, Appleseed results speak for themselves...and the 4 Minute AQT is the proof. My first Appleseed was an eye-opener.

Ask any shooter that has struggled, persevered and finally gotten across the goal line.. That Rifleman patch tells the story to anyone that's attended an Appleseed. When the pressure is on, and when every shot counts, the shooter who has EARNED that patch can be counted on to get the job done, much like Timothy Murphy.

1. Theory: One line will be "the absolute fastest recap of theory allowed, followed by lots of practice". One line will be "here is the problem, here is how we propose to solve it, here is why it works, let's see how we can make it work with your proportions. Done talking? Let's talk some more". If you show up at 8 AM, catch one of the people with an Appleseed red hat and explain what you feel you need. The way things are looking right now, we should have enough instructors to accommodate you. If we get more participants, we will have more lines, and one of them will probably be a Goldilocks one, from your point of view. TL;DR: yes. Most likely.

2. Dry-firing. I will have pretty decent plastic 22LR snap caps with me, so you will be covered for any practice that requires dry-firing ("ball and dummy"). If you remind me, I will send you home with a few. You can also dry-fire your centerfire upper, or just pull a dead trigger for practice. It's all about a stable position, a clean trigger squeeze and paying attention to what the target is doing behind the front post of your sights.

3. lupis42 answered your p.s., but in case you missed it, THE answer is "YES".

thanks.
STKSHK

Last edited:
Shooters,

With just under 3 weeks left to go there's still time so sigh up. Due to an increased interest, the number of slots has been
more than doubled. So, although the line is filling up, there's still plenty room left.

This will be a great opportunity for those who always wanted to attend an Appleseed but never found the time. Or, if you just
missed scoring Rifleman on a previous outing, now is the opportunity to get across that goal line.

As mentioned before, we will be running 2 lines:

1. The more "instructive" line, which is great for beginners, or those wishing to learn, and/or to solidify their fundamentals.

2. The "Express Lane", with minimal instruction with an emphasis on shooting for score.

Hope to see you on the line!

Back
Top Bottom