One cadet killed in training accident at West Point, 22 others injured

There's been a frightening number of rollover deaths and injuries across the armed forces in the last few weeks.
Not service specific, not location nor terrain specific, both officers and enlisted, no one common vehicle.
I hope the trend ends soon.

There's been a frightening number of rollover deaths and injuries across the armed forces in the last few weeks.
Not service specific, not location nor terrain specific, both officers and enlisted, no one common vehicle.
I hope the trend ends soon.
No kidding. Im starting to Think going for a ride is more dangerous than combat. RIP

I have to admit, this hits me hard! My son turns 21 next month, he is in ROTC in college and is a junior. He had the honor of being selected to attend a summer training session at West Point for the month of July. He leaves in a few weeks. I know the chances of a repeat are slim, and that he is writing the potentially black check to our nation since he will be serving upon graduation, but I'm struggling a bit at the moment to not let this get into my head...

I have to admit, this hits me hard! My son turns 21 next month, he is in ROTC in college and is a junior. He had the honor of being selected to attend a summer training session at West Point for the month of July. He leaves in a few weeks. I know the chances of a repeat are slim, and that he is writing the potentially black check to our nation since he will be serving upon graduation, but I'm struggling a bit at the moment to not let this get into my head...

Tens of thousands of soldiers pile into the backs of these kinds of vehicles EVERY DAY and they ride in perfect safety. Your kid will be fine.

Tens of thousands of soldiers pile into the backs of these kinds of vehicles EVERY DAY and they ride in perfect safety. Your kid will be fine.
Rode the pine seats for years.

No less safe than riding a bus.

If it was the summer program run by the upper classmen/ cadre; one of cadre was acting as driver/supply for the summer. This was their first week into summer programs at the service academies.

I hope all cadets recover and training can resume for those involved and classmates.

Rest in peace.

If it was the summer program run by the upper classmen/ cadre; one of cadre was acting as driver/supply for the summer. This was their first week into summer programs at the service academies.

I hope all cadets recover and training can resume for those involved and classmates.

Rest in peace.

This. I THINK the article I read implied the driver and TC were not cadets.

My OBC class was probably about 90% West Point grads. Not a one of them had a military driver’s license, but that’s not uncommon for officers. I remember one of my instructors shaking his head in disgust.

If it was the summer program run by the upper classmen/ cadre; one of cadre was acting as driver/supply for the summer.
I saw a report that said the vehicle was being operated by a reserve component unit that was there in support for training.

Fort Riley, 1984, ROTC Advanced Camp: I spent a miserable day riding in the back of an M35 "Deuce", with a Guard/Reserve driver on her annual two weeks of training. She didn't know the shift pattern... and all of you who do know that means lugging the engine until it's finally back up to revs, and then "up"-shifting into a lower gear, slamming all of us into the back of the cab.

I saw a report that said the vehicle was being operated by a reserve component unit that was there in support for training.

Fort Riley, 1984, ROTC Advanced Camp: I spent a miserable day riding in the back of an M35 "Deuce", with a Guard/Reserve driver on her annual two weeks of training. She didn't know the shift pattern... and all of you who do know that means lugging the engine until it's finally back up to revs, and then "up"-shifting into a lower gear, slamming all of us into the back of the cab.

Yup.

We’ve all been there. It felt like boating in rough seas. Ahhhh, memories.

I understand LMTVs are easier to drive than the old deuces, but I wouldn’t know.

Was there a few years ago with the boy scout camporee there.
we always start at that location and do bull hill.
some cadets rolled a Humvee in the woods, luckily no one was hurt.
the medic cadets, took off like lighting, I was at the other side at lake Fredrick at bottom of the hill.
Their med cadets were on foot and just ran straight up the hill though the field, I lost sight quickly, they were full steam.
I bet the accident was a mile away from what i heard and they were getting there as fast they could, on foot if that what it took them
happen to go last year, and I asked them, their med team is mostly their own cadet ski patrol members. all are students at WestPoint.

Back
Top Bottom