Once you go 80%.......

This is all new to me but I have been thinking about picking up a P80 frame myself. After the build is finished, what’s the process of registering it?

This is all new to me but I have been thinking about picking up a P80 frame myself. After the build is finished, what’s the process of registering it?
Must engrave a serial number and EFA10 it. Can’t use a sharpie marker.

It's dumb because you'll always get hosed when you sell guns under exigent circumstances. I've only done it enough times to really f***ing hate it at this
point. I'd rather take out a HELOC or a hardship withdrawal from my retirement or some shit like that than sell my guns ever again.

Yeah but let's be real, is a few 80% guns in an otherwise decent collection going to kill the value of the whole thing? Probably not, unless you're one of those dudes that owns like 4 guns total or something (and given the crew around here, I doubt that).

There's a big difference from a couple of ARs that cost like a grand or two at the most and a 20-30K wrangler... too... etc.

I agree with what you're getting at- the retard factor of making everything out of 80 just because. It's usually pretty inefficient. But most people don't build 80s
based off that reasoning. If you don't see the other side of the coin, then I can see why you wouldn't want one at all.

-Mike
Yeah, after the last message you sent me about the Hudson and the CZ you had to sell I can imagine it is old as hell. Definitely agree it's not a sound idea and I would rather find an alternative than selling things in a rush for 50-60% of value when with patience it could fetch 70-80%. Definitely like the idea of next time I have the idea of buying a gun I don't really need and my want it just a stupid want just throwing that into the second account to prevent a future sale. Luckily I've only ever had to sell one gun.

Must engrave a serial number and EFA10 it. Can’t use a sharpie marker.

Hold up here! You do not need to engrave a serial number unless you really really want to. EFA10 within 7 days--yes, serial number--no.

Now if you're going to sell it, then yes, it needs to be marked according to ATF guidelines.

Hold up here! You do not need to engrave a serial number unless you really really want to. EFA10 within 7 days--yes, serial number--no.

Now if you're going to sell it, then yes, it needs to be marked according to ATF guidelines.
Can you sell it without an manufacturer's license?

Do you ever go back to buying new or used? Based on cost savings, and more importantly the quality of the finished product, how do you all feel about your builds? When carefully built from the lower and finished up do you feel proud of the finished product? Of course the purpose of these needs not be discussed here.

My learning curve is progressing and as with everything I put my efforts into I do not regret the money spent on the beginnings. I do regret the lack of knowledge going in but of course the resources available beforehand pay dividends.
I have had a lot of fun building 80% AR’s and Glocks. But then again I am a pretty hard core DIY guy. I don’t do it to save $$$ because obviously you don’t. I do it for enjoyment, to learn something and most important to me the satisfaction of owning a gun that I built myself.

The guns that I built myself run just as well as any of my other guns that I bought. Although some of my 80% builds (especially some of the Glocks) have needed some tweaking, But again I look at that as fun and a chance to really learn the inner workings of a gun. The only thing I did not like when done was the unfinished raw look when you open up an 80% AR. I am embarrassed to admit this but it bugged me so much that I went back a disassembled all of my lowers and painted the inside with black semi-gloss solvent resistant engine enamel. Now when I break down an 80% AR it looks just like any other one.

Yes, but you can't manufacture it with the intent to sell it. If, at some point after you have finished it, you do decide you want to sell it, you must then serialize it according to the ATF guidelines.

In my interpretation of the fed laws around 80%, the "manufacture with intent...." is correct. If I mill out an 80% and decide some time later I no longer want it, I can sell it. If I milled it for someone else from the go, that's a no-no. However, serialization is only required on guns made by licensed manufacturers, so no SN required. All of this being said, who would sell a completed 80%....?

Last edited:

So when you EFA10 the gun with no serial number, you just leave that field blank and it lets you submit?

No, you have to put a serial number on a gun you made for yourself once you get tired of it, and want to sell it.
But if caught with it it may prove sticky according to that thread I referenced. Again, it’s been 8 years since that thread and the only trouble I’ve seen with unserialized firearms is with high volume criminal manufacturers or addendum criminal charges in this state.

No, you have to put a serial number on a gun you made for yourself once you get tired of it, and want to sell it.
I’m pretty sure you can leave the serial number blank but I have not tried it myself. Is it true?

Yes, but you can't manufacture it with the intent to sell it. If, at some point after you have finished it, you do decide you want to sell it, you must then serialize it according to the ATF guidelines.

In my interpretation of the fed laws around 80%, the "manufacture with intent...." is correct. If I mill out an 80% and decide some time later I no longer want it, I can sell it. If I milled it for someone else from the go, that's a no-no. However, serialization is only required on guns made by licensed manufacturers, so no SN required. All of this being said, who would sell a completed 80%....?

Learned something new, thanks.

From John Green during the Mass gun law seminar I just attended literally 2 hours ago: you should put NSN in the serial number field for "No Serial Number."
Was this seminar in Auburn? Thanks man

There are some cheap metal stamps on fleabay for like $5. Think that would work OK?

If you intend to actually serialize the firearm there are very specific ATF guidelines for depth and character height. Chances are good that a cheap stamping kit will not meet those standards. So if you're going to have it done, make sure you do it right. Nobody wants a call from the ATF.

Was this seminar in Auburn? Thanks man

No problem. I didn't actually know the answer to that question until tonight. I always just put in my own serial numbers which is what I think a lot of people do.

Seminar was held at Southborough Rod & Gun for club members. I believe GOAL offers them as a perk to affiliated clubs.

Only on the AR9 I just built. I just couldn't pass up the damn sexy forged, matched receiver and handguard set in midnight bronze cerra. Oh and I also couldn't go 80 on the bring-back Arisaka I bought recently either, lol.

So if I do a build a carry gun can I EFA10 it on my own and be legally good if I ever used it for self defense?

So if I do a build a carry gun can I EFA10 it on my own and be legally good if I ever used it for self defense?
It would have to of been built before the AG’s BS, have no evil features and only a pre-ban high capacity magazine or 10 round post ban.

But to carry any 80% build gun for self defense to me is a bad idea, AR, Glock, anything….. If you ever had to actually use it then shooting somebody with a gun you built yourself is just not a good look.

The AG's stuff doesn't apply to a handgun. Any more opinions on carrying a registered self built handgun being an issue in an otherwise clean defense situation?

Personal opinion is that I’d engrave a serial number on a P80 frame if I were going to carry it. Just to avoid any “ghost gun” BS influencing a jury if I had to use it in self defense. Making it yourself shouldn’t matter at all. However, while keeping it without a serial number is completely legal, I could see prosecution using that fact to sway a jury.

All that said, my bedside gun is a P80 hybrid (G19 grip with G17 slide), and I haven’t engraved it yet.

Personal opinion is that I’d engrave a serial number on a P80 frame if I were going to carry it. Just to avoid any “ghost gun” BS influencing a jury if I had to use it in self defense. Making it yourself shouldn’t matter at all. However, while keeping it without a serial number is completely legal, I could see prosecution using that fact to sway a jury.

All that said, my bedside gun is a P80 hybrid (G19 grip with G17 slide), and I haven’t engraved it yet.
[/QUOT

Yes I would engrave a serial number etc.... How do you like your Hybrid?

Back
Top Bottom